“Absolutely SUPERB” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Atlanta, GA
“Absolutely SUPERB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

In being met with all the problems and challenges for my groups convention at the Deauville Beach Resort, I stumbled on the Canyon Ranch which was only half a block up the street from the Deauville in which I used to place all my VIP's. From the moment I pulled up the hotel, it was like HEAVEN. Everyone from the valet to the bellhop to the front desk made you feel like home. Being that the hotel is a health spa resort, the only request they imposed was that communication devices were prohibited in most area such as the serenity pool, health spas, restaurant, etc... Their rationale.....for you to fully relax and relieve stress. The property was outstanding (see pictures). I actually came down for a visit on the 4th of July, and then returned for my convention at the end of July. From the moment I got back, all the staff (including the valet) remembered my name and even asked about my wife and daugther...by name. That was a WOW factor for me being that they see many guest come & go per day...per week...per year. The services at the hotel are also equally matched in eloquence and taste. The spa packages are somewhat pricey but are not outrageous. You definitely get your $$$ worth. And for those on a budget, they even offer some spa services for free. Overall and all.....this hotel was a lifesaver for me and my group. I would return here in a minute's notice. I'll definitely be taking the family back for a full R&R trip. The only negative point (if any) that I could ever comment would have to be the food. The portions are very small. Being a guy who loves to eat, I was not satisfied. But even as I say that, it's not really a bad thing, because while the food is excellent. You have to remember that this is a health spa, therefore the portions are meant to be small. All their food is prepared to perfection: made with healthy ingredients and served in the correct health portions. Needlesstosay, you will lose a few pounds which (for most people) is not a bad thing.

Again...THE CANYON RANCH IS THE BEST PLACE YOU'LL EVER STAY!!! Trust me :)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

492 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

The hotel is gorgeous..the Spa is fantastic. We spent lots of hours at Aquavana. Lots of wonderful classes, lectures, and seminars offered. We really enjoyed ourselves. On the negative side, they really need to work out some kinks in the Grill and with in room dining. We had two unpleasant experiences (unacceptable wait time for food to be served during lunch and in room breakfast order placed in the evening was not delivered the next morning). Other than that...we had a fantastic time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

It was my wife's idea to try the new Canyon Ranch Miami, and I resisted, fearing spartan accommodations, limited libations and an emphasis on exercise when I really just want to relax in a chaise longue by the beach. Was I surprised. The hotel was perfect: a great combination of physical activity, fantastic cuisine and great spa and beach facilities. It took a few days to get accustomed to the smaller portions at the restaurant and to the relative peacefulness at the hotel, which is somewhat in contrast to the festive South Beach scene. But once you get into a rhythm: exercise classes in the morning, followed by beach in the afternoon and maybe a massage in the evening before dinner, I couldn't think of any where else I'd rather be in Miami.

Having stayed at the Mandarin, Fishers Island and The Setai before, I really think Canyon Ranch offers the best value. But there are a few drawbacks: those who come to South Beach seeking a trendy scene or a festive late night bar atmosphere would be disappointed, and the location is a cab ride away from the main SOBO restaurants; in fact, the neighborhood is not that great, offering few off-property sights. That said, after adjusting to the spa cuisine, I found Miami restaurant meals almost inedible-- huge portions of greasy slabs of fish.

We stayed in an ocean-front suite- -was very large, with a kitchenette too. The view was stunning, but that's not really a differentiating factor.

In sum, great rooms, public spaces, fantastic spa and beach facilities, and a great restaurant at prices that are expensive no doubt, but not egregiously so, offering much better value than similar properties in Miami. And I even returned 5 lbs. lighter.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
cape cod
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

I recently returned from a 5-night stay at Canyon Ranch Miami. Check in was ok..not a very friendly welcome...just to the point and then I was told I just missed the tour and was handed a map. The suites are very nice and very comfortable... clean, wonderful linens, pillows and towels. I enjoyed every meal from the full restaurant, the cafe and room service. The food is the best quality and service is great although a very limited menu. I enjoyed the spa treatments, however the first treatment I had was nice, but the therapist did not seem happy to be there and was not very friendly. The service was very expensive so I guess I expected more. I had Shawna for my 2nd treatment and she was great, friendly and professional. I enjoyed the lectures I attended. For the 2 outdoor pools, the adult pool is on a high level and is beautiful but it is in direct sun with no umbrellas or shade ( I was told at check in that this pool had intense heat and sun so I should use the other pool) so everyone goes to the beautiful lap pool....a beautiful place overlooking the ocean with umbrellas and a great staff (especially Hector & Jorge) that will fix your towels and enthusiastically bring you anything you need with a smile...but then, there are also the many little children screaming in fun and... crying, and lots of parents screaming at the children to stop crying. The atmosphere at this pool went against everything Canyon Ranch is supposed to be. Maybe they could make the adult pool more comfortable so that people could really sit up there. Then came September 2nd when at 10:00am while I was sitting at the pool an announcement came out stating that they would be testing the fire alarm system...well that was ok because it would just be for an hour or two...NOT...it went on and on until 5:00pm and could be heard everyplace...pool, beach, restaurants and yes, in the suites...lots of unhappy and very stressed guests. The worst part, management never offered anything to make up for the inconvenience to guests...not even a complimentary glass of soda...they just all stood around the reception area and answered to everyone that the testing would stop at 5:00...no apologies....$325 per night and a promise of relaxation and self-renewal and this is what we listened to all day. At separate times during my check-out process two employees asked me how my stay was and I told them both that the day before was very stressful listening to the alarm all day...and they both just smiled and said "Oh, I know"..that was it. Being in the hospitality industry myself I realize that sometimes these things need to be done...but this was done in the most unprofessional way...instead of doing this for 7 hours straight...could they not just tested a few hours a day...then to never have management even acknowledge the inconvenience to guests was just not acceptable. Also on Sept 3rd, my check out day, at 10:00am they announced more fire alarm testing...all I could think of was thank goodness I am leaving today and the poor people have to deal with it again. It is a nice place to stay, but not really the relaxing and peaceful place it is made up to be...and management needs to attend a few more hospitality classes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

This was our 2nd trip to Canyon Ranch this year and the main reason we came back was because of Dr.Koffler. She is the most amazing Dr. either my husband or I have ever met. Her nurse, Melissa, is also wonderful and could put anyone at ease.

The property is lovely, accommodations are excellent--they're all lovely suites. The pools are also beautiful as is the gym, and the spa is wonderful. If you've been to Tucson or the Berkshires, there is a MUCH smaller assortment and amount of classes---so it''s not exactly the same experience. Ask for a room on an upper floor---we were given a room this time on the 2nd floor, with a big view of the roof (since it was August and they weren't that busy, I wonder why we got that room) But they did move us to higher floor when we requested it (to a room with 2 beds instead of 1, but we didn't want to move again and were happy on a higher floor). We didn't get a balcony this time either--we did before, so you might want to ask for one---it's nice to sit outside.
Beware of the washer/dryer--it's an all in one and your clothes will be very wrinkled!

THe food is excellent--we went out for dinner since the dinner menu doesn't change.

We will continue to go back as long as Dr. Koffler is there---the entire health and healing staff is simply the best. We love the facilities, the people, etc. Enjoy it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I travel often to Miami, combining business with a few days pleasure after. Canyon Ranch is where I will stay from now on. It is not in the hustle of South Beach (which is a plus as I am tired of hotels with parties going on until 3 in the morning) but you can get there with a quick taxi. What does it have?

1. I didn't gain a pound in a 5 day 4th of July stay and each night thought of eating elsewhere but ended up in the CR restaurant. The food is incredible and you feel like you are indulging like crazy and find that the calories only add up to 550 for dinner. Amazing. They should put the lobster special I had there one night on the permanent menu. Devils on Horseback app is a must order. Artichoke fries sound yucky but were addictive. I seriously did not have one thing that I wouldn't order again. Cocktails they do are real fun as well -- incredibly fresh

2. The fitness staff is great. After 2 days they know your name and what you are looking for in your time there. Do the beach walks in the morning and you will learn all about what the facilities offer on the walk.

3. There is an adult pool on the top level -- wonderful and calm and the view is right out to the ocean. There is a general pool on the ground and while there were some kids there, not overwelming.

4. The beach is a few steps away. They have beach service for food and drink and set up the lounge chairs with umbrellas. The beach here is beautiful -- no garbage, calm and relaxing.

5. There is a paved walk-way that you can jog/bike/walk on right outside the resort along the beach. It is supposed to connect all the way down to South Beach.

6. The rooms are huge for Miami. I stayed at the Ritz-C in June, paid twice as much and got a closet. I paid for a room with balcony and a friend had a room without. We never spent a moment on my balcony because the grounds are so gorgeous and there are many private areas to lounge. So would skip the balcony next time -- also gets a bit windy there so balcony wasn't so pleasant. Miami also doesn't have that beachy ocean smell or sound (no real big waves crashing) that you can get in the Caribbean, so no benefit from that with a balcony either. A frill I would skip.

7. This is not party central -- people are really here for relaxing, detoxing, destressing --- if you have been to Lenox or AZ before, think of it as CR on the beach.

8. The SPA is great and the service in it was wonderful.

This place is very upscale but not in the trendy way other places are in Miami. My size 16 bathing suit did not stand out. There is a great camaradie among the guests.

To improve on:
- front desk service -- had to ask to get something for my room 3 times before it came through.
- needs better business center services

As for kids, I am taking mine down in August. They have kid's menus (healthy versions of things) and lots of folks with kids there. Will let you know how that goes. Heard rumors they are developiing a kids club.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I just returned from a 4 day stay at Canyon Ranch Miami which was life altering. I'm writing so those of you who may be going can take a look at what I did at CRM (and at home before I left) to maximize your experience.

My goal was to use my time at CRM to reverse bad habits, specifically not exercising and an unhealthy diet, which had become increasingly worse over the past 2 years. Initally I had planned to wait until arriving at CRM to make any changes to my diet/exercise, but then it occured to me that I'd be more motivated and have a better idea of how to spend my time if I started prepping beforehand. I bought myself a nice new notebook and about 10 days before I took a little assessment of any ailments (which were digestive issues like bloating/constipation, acid reflux, lower back pain, general feeling of my body being heavy/not limber and fatigue). I also decided that 1) for diet I would try to eat granola and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch, and lean protien and veggies for dinner before 9pm, and 2) for exercise - fit in a 45 minute pilates video 2x a week, and play tennis against the wall near my home for 45minutes 2x per week. During the 10 days I had stuck w/ the eating plan, but only exercised once. It was a start though and I did notice a signifcant improvement in the acid reflux, but nothing else.

Result of 10 day pre-prep: significant reduction in acid reflux, feeling motivated by my new eating routine, but hopeless about exercise.

At CRM:
1) Diet - I ate all my meals at CRM. The food was delicious (I'm not sure why every restaurant doesn't serve a similar menu to be quite honest), and, even better I felt satisfied, energetic and actually nourished after meals and NO BLOATING!!!!!!!!!! I would also have a juice from the juice bar if I needed a pick me up in between. The difference in how I feel has been so dramatic that I'm literally terrified of putting anything but healthy food into my body. I got home and cooked every veggie in my house and let myself eat as much of them as I wanted b/c I was feeling tempted to order delivery or just start eating the cheese in my refrigerator until I could get to the supermarket. A guest told me that CRM will give you the recipes if you just ask, but I bought the cookbook from the giftstore b/c it was easier and I plan to cook CRM style from now on.

2) Exercise - I planned a stretch class every morning, a workout class midday, did Aquavana then showered shower, and a gentle exercise or meditation class for the evening (such as gyrokinesis and yoga nidra). By day 2, I had so much energy and felt so good that I started attending more classes. I was intimidated at first, but don't be! All the instructors are supportive, helpful and keep you engaged for the duration of the class. I found the other guests, even the super fit ones, shared the same attitude. I loved gyrokinesis, buff ballet booty (who knew?) and Qi Gong. It may not be alot, but having 3 good takeaways is nothing short of a miracle for me. I asked the instructors for book/video recommendations which I've ordered already so I can keep up from home. In the meantime, I've been doing a little running (about .5 mile outside) followed by the stretching and Qi Jong that I remember.

Results from 4 days at CRM: All ailments gone!!!!!!!! And I was thinking I would need medications, etc. I have tons of energy and have been waking before my alarm. I really noticed the change when I got back home. I naturally and easily dropped off clothes that have been ready to go to Salvation Army for months, emptied my suitcase and washed my clothes as soon as I got home (which is a first), and paid bills that I had been avoiding. My body feels so limber. I feel better than I felt 10 years ago and probably than I've ever felt. At work on Monday, multiple people commented on how relaxed and calm I seemed (even over the phone!).

I am so grateful to the people behind CRM for designing such a place. I highly recommend immersing yourself while you are there and taking advantage of everything that is offered. You won't regret it! Feel free to email me with any questions.

Please post about your experience or any suggestions! Maybe next year we can meet up at CRM on July 4th weekend!!!

Thanks for reading.
Meghan

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!