“fabulous yoga vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tallinn, Estonia
“fabulous yoga vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

For me, the stay at the hotel was really fabulous for two reasons - the ocean view and the yoga schedule. Being an avid yoga practitioner, the tight schedule of yoga (and meditation & breathing) classes was a wonderful news for me. The teachers were really good and the experience as good as expected. Should I happen to travel to Miami Beach again, I definitely would consider this hotel again. PS the hotel also offers many other kind of classes, incl boxing, zumba, etc.
A big minus however was the restrtictions on children - under 14 children were not even given a room key with the explanation that 'the key would give them access to everywhere in the hotel'! Everywhere including the spa and pool areas for adults only. This is a shame for two reasons. First, personally I do not approve of such kind of restrictions on children. It should be the responsibility of parents to not allow screaming toddlers in a quiet relaxing spa area. But refusing an 11-year old to sit at the 'quiet' poolside with her book just does not make sense. If such restrictions must be in place, certainly 14 years is not the reasonable limit. This way, of course, you do not only forbid children but also their parents from these areas! Second, why not make two kinds of keys?? One without the access to the quiet spap areas! But right now, my daughter couldn't move on her own at all as the key was needed even to drive the elevator! This is just nonsense.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ocean view, it's heavenly!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently spent four nights at the Carillon Spa and was beyond impress. The attention to detail every step of the way was both relaxing and made us feel like we were VIP. The staff is very helpful and professional and the rooms are very spacious. They are the size of a large one bedroom apartment. They have a mini kitchen with stove top, microwave,
frig and pots and pans. The overall experience was off the charts from the minute we arrived we were welcomed as if we were the first lady. I wanted to also include that the spa is the same great quality as Canyon Ranch. In my opinion better! I have been traveling for 31 years and have been to many spas and resorts and this won is the best.
It is an experience you do not want to miss. Thank you! Gail

Room Tip: We had a room away from the elevators on the 6th floor. We also had a partial ocean view. The roo...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Ridgefield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Years ago when this was the new Canyon Ranch it was great, it went down hill every year. I returned to try the new management ( Leading Hotels of the World group) because I do enjoy taking the exercise classes. This property is still a big disappointment. The staff is just not trained correctly, it seems as if the entire place is run without any management in place. I will say that the restaurant staff seemed to be better trained since the new owners took over but that is about the only change. The property is very worn, the food is just ok, the rooms are tired, wifi doesn't work in the rooms!! The spa attendants needs to be trained to be friendly and attend to guests...not just stare into space. My invoice numerous mistakes it took many visits to the front desk to fix them with no apology. The wifi was never fixed in my 4.5 day stay! Some of the exercise instructors are great but most just want to get the class over with. Treadmills are old and the gym is very hot. The gym also needs to be reorganized to accommodate mat work and functional fitness routines.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
TheCarillon, General Manager at The Carillon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear swa,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences during your recent visit. We welcome your comments and observations since this allows us to focus on our opportunities and make the necessary improvements. Please know we are deeply disappointed that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We have shared your feedback with the entire management team to ensure you areas of concern receive immediate attention. Our new owners have assembled a new Executive Team with extensive experience in luxury hospitality and a strong commitment to guest service and satisfaction that will only continue to improve The Carillon Hotel and Spa. Together we are dedicated to delivering the perfect wellness vacation experience to each and every one of our guests. We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back once again.
I would be glad to make myself available, should you wish to discuss further. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel and ask for me, Thomas Wicky.
305-514-7101
Warm and healthy regards,
Thomas P. Wicky
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my first visit to this hotel since the property was taken over by Carillon. I had been to the hotel twice when it was Canyon Ranch. I found this visit to be just as wonderful as my previous visits. The staff is exceptionally warm, friendly, kind, and helpful. I truly enjoyed the variety of exercise classes and lectures taught by high quality teachers. I had one spa treatment and it was exceptional. I enjoyed the high quality food at the restaurant and they catered to my special food needs. The breakfast buffet was excellent. I loved the easy access to the beach and walking path near the beach. The rooms are very spacious, quiet, and include a living room area and kitchen. This was a great experience and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: request ocean view and to be away from the elevator
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
TheCarillon, General Manager at The Carillon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Leah572,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. We are so glad you came back and had an amazing time! Our team is very dedicated to giving guests an overall fantastic experience and we are thrilled to hear that you found the staff exceptionally warm, the food of high quality and that you enjoyed the exercise classes, lectures and spa—particularly your spa treatment. Again, we thank you for the feedback. We greatly appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm and healthy regards,
Thomas P. Wicky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Property is a little tired and spa although nice really doesn't have much besides chirping bird sounds and one smallish jacussi. Staff is lovely but really needs an overhaul. Linens were great and food was average.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Since changing from Canyon Ranch to Carillon a few months ago, MANY horrible changes have been made at this resort. As a former resident and (now) sometimes guest at this resort, I can tell that the entire (once enjoyable) experience at this property has severely declined to the point where I feel the need to voice my opinion on TripAdvisor. It the past few visits to Carillon, it is very evident that the level of service has taken a nosedive. Note to Carillon management: decreasing services and simultaneously charging for items and services that were once free may increase the profit of the resort, but you apparently don’t understand that it also exponentially decreases the enjoyability of your guests and residents. From my personal experience, it appears that the resort has simultaneously decreased service and increased prices. So now we guests pay more and get less. The valet is a good example. Valet parking here is mandatory; there is no “self-park”. The service used to be free for guests of residents. But now it costs $15, even if you stay only for a few minutes. Overnight parking is much more expensive. And good luck getting your car in less than 30 minutes. The valet attendants seem to be much more interested in standing in a circle and chatting than actually doing their jobs and getting cars. This decreased service level and increased pricing is evident all over the resort - from the valet, to the restaurant, to the beach services, to the spa.
Long story short, if you want to be nickel-and-dimed to death, wait 45 minutes for cold food and 30 minutes for your car from the valet, please feel free to waste your money here. Otherwise, you can find much better value/service/amenities for your money much closer to South Beach or Bal Harbour. Avoid this waste of money.
P.S. This is actually my second review of this property. The first one was published a few days ago, then TripAdvisor took it down less than 24 hrs. after they published it. It appears that the Carillon management team cares MUCH more about getting rid of unflattering reviews than they do about actually creating an enjoyable experience for Carillon guests. It’s sad, really, because this resort used to be one of the best in Miami Beach. Now it’s not even in the top 50.

Room Tip: The best room to get here is any other hotel room at any other hotel in Miami Beach. Avoid.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My experience at the Carillon has been.....Terrible. I will concede that their spa and gym facilities are not bad, as are the rooms and views. However, the food in the restaurant and by the pool is so bad, so so bad, that I have genuinely wondered if I am on one of the hidden camera shows. I asked for a steak medium and they said it came with lyonnaise potatoes. They brought a charred overcooked filet on burned sliced potatoes. I sent it back and they brought an actual raw piece of meat (no kidding), i felt mocked by the kitchen. The third time it was burned again. I switched by order to a salad. And nothing was said another the potatoes, but lyonnaise they were not. My friend’s salmon was very dry and our heirloom tomato appetizer was made with one mealy and one not yet ripe tomato. We obviously did not return again for dinner. However we did have breakfast included, it was like something out of a comedy sketch, spoiled milk, over salting of eggs to the point that the crystals are visible, and chlorine tasting oatmeal are just a few examples. i didn't leave that many examples out bc you barely had any choices, it looked like a kids buffet. I'm not saying the food isn't good or that you won't get fine dining....I'm saying that it's AWFUL!!!! STAY AWAY!!!! Lets talk about the security guys, they are rude and disrespectful, i was stretching at the gym after a long run, the security guy approached me and said in a rude tone of voice “you can’t stretch here”. Its a gym where else should i stretch? The pool looks nasty and super dirty, full of sand and dirt. The front desk is very rude and not helpful at all, if you ask any of them a question, they will direct you to GOOGLE .I will never stay here again and with food and service like this it should not be considered a leading hotel. The Canyon Ranch is better off not associating their brand with this “motel quality service” hotel. They are many other hotels on the beach with the same views, same beach but better service. i would recommend The Setai, St. Regis and many other hotels for the same price as this nasty hotel. Don't be fooled by the "5star reviews". Do your research.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Been to The Carillon Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!