“Wonderful with a couple tweeks” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
One More Night
Ranked #8 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful with a couple tweeks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This review is pretty comprehensive and I hope that Canyon Ranch management takes the time to read it through to take note of the suggestions made throughout. We loved our stay and will definitely be back, but if the improvements suggested are made, it would be even better.

To start, the check in process for us was very efficient and personalized. We were in our suite quite quickly. I have to say in my experience, for the most part, the service and friendliness at Canyon Ranch Miami is amazing. The staff was always pleasant and accommodating. The service here is top notch!!!

Our key card to enter the room was a bit tricky at times, but after a few days I got the hang of it, just hold it close to the sensor and tap it gently away from you.

The room was beautiful, large bathroom, kitchen, 2 TV's, Bose radio, large soaker tub, etc. We stayed in a Carillon King room on a higher floor that overlooked the sunset pool. Very nice. We did not have a balcony this time but we were hardly in the room with all the activities. The air conditioner worked well, except weirdly enough, at night it seemed not to work as well.

The housekeeping staff is amazing and thorough. Twice daily including turndown service was a lovely touch. Really made for a care-free vacation.

We took the tour the next day after arriving and it was very helpful and pleasant. They could, however, offer a printed map of the area showing where to go, even though after a day or so you get the hang of it, it would be nice to have a quick reference, especially for some who take longer to get used to the grounds.

There is a great and long boardwalk just outside the hotel, between the beach and the hotel, that is wonderful for power walks or just a stroll. The beach is large and the beach attendants are courteous and helpful with set-up of very comfortable loungers and umbrellas, and cabanas are for rent too if you want, but you don't need them, you can get as many umbrellas as you need. There is also beach service for snacks and drinks with a really cool concept of having flags near each set-up so that if you want to order something you can just raise your flag and a waiter/waitress will come by (but they come and introduce themselves at the start anyway).

The Aquavana spa is really cool too, I particularly liked the warm room and the polar room opposite to it, and the tropical showers were super interesting. The staff there is impeccable too, very attentive and keep the place really clean. They also bring around pineapple and green tea drinks to cool you off, and will even come into the steamroom to give it to you. You are provided robes and slippers and lockers and their hours are great too.

The "continental" breakfast was far from that, in a good way. It has a nice selection of fruits, yogurts, toppings, nuts. scrambled eggs, potatoes, gluten-free oatmeal, toast (you can ask for gluten-free and they will bring it with condiments), pastries, cheeses, an amazing smoked salmon and accompaniments, and so on, and includes juice, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. Really the best value for breakfast I think and more than enough variety, especially for a "continental" breakfast, BRAVO.

NOTE: If it's not that busy the eggs may not be out, just ask the server to bring you an order of scrambled eggs (other egg preparations are extra). TIP for hotel: If the eggs are not out (like when it's not that busy in the restaurant), they may want to inform people that they can order them and it's included (i.e. scrambled). We knew to ask because they had them on the buffet earlier in the week and then didn't later on, but someone who just came may have thought eggs were not included. This is where communication is important between wait staff and customer.

Also, if you order another type of egg, the wait staff should inform you that it will be extra. We ordered 2 poached eggs and got charged an extra $7. No big deal, just think the communication can be improved so that there are no surprises.

Lunch was inconsistent. I still don't know the difference between a small salad ($10) and a large salad ($16), since we ordered both and the only difference was the price. The chicken breast at dinner was flat and dryish but at lunch was plump and well cooked, go figure?? Not sure why the inconsistency.

I ordered the tenderloin for dinner one night and they didn't get the cook right on it and after sending it back two times I just opted for the chicken.

The seabass and mashed potatoes were amazing, especially if you ask them to couple it with the 12 year old aged balsamic and truffle oil sauce they use for the striploin dish. You can also ask for garlic on the side if you like that, as we do.

The soups were very "clean," but did lack seasoning, but it seems they go easy on the salt in most of their dishes and don't even place it on the table unless you ask for it. The dressing for the Greek salad is very acidic and I would recommend asking for it on the side, or better yet, ask for the balsamic vinaigrette instead.

The smoothies were good too as well as the juice bar.

I liked that they supposedly use many organic and natural products. However, they could offer a few more organic or biodynamic red wines by the glass. Their own pinot noir, in my opinion, was not very good, and it was the only organic red wine available by the glass. Sustainable just doesn't cut it, so a few more organic selections would have been nice. For that reason I opted out of wine with dinner, went to Publix and bought my own to drink in the room.

I read in another review of complaints about portion size, I would disagree. Unless you are used to truck-stop portions, you will not leave hungry.

The creme brule was good. The poached plum, not so much, could have been cooked longer, but still, not the best in my opinion.

The Cabana's food, however, was lacking in good quality, which was surprising. We ordered a shrimp cocktail and the shrimp were mushy and tasted like chlorine. They need more variety from that menu and better quality, as well as on the beach. It would have been nice to be able to order a salad from the Canyon Ranch Grill and eat it on the beach.

Room service was quite speedy but we ordered a pizza and it was missing many of the ingredients listed in the menu. We were told it's because the chef was a trainee. I would recommend that the trainees are supervised by the main chef and that all food goes through a quality control checkpoint before going out to the diner, whether in room dining or in the restaurant.

I think consistency is the biggest challenge they have at the restaurant.

The fitness classes were good, some better than others. The meditation class was strange because it was not guided, just sitting quiet with a whole bunch of other people in the same room. I could have just done that on my own in my room or on the beach. I expected some guidance or a guided visualization or something that would make it an actual class.

Also, sometimes the instructors, while understandably trying to motivate, can come off as insensitive to the fitness levels of some people. It's all done with humor and we were not in the least offended, but I can see how someone with low self-esteem may be deterred from trying it again. These instructors do this day in and day out and they should not expect the same level of performance from everyone. I think it's more about doing it at your own pace rather than being pressured to go beyond your limit in that moment. I think the best is to ignore peer pressure and just do your thing with confidence, gradually improving as you go. This was not true for all instructors, just a couple.Others were very respectful. Maybe management can send out a memo to all instructors to gently remind them to be sensitive to all fitness levels, to guide but not pressure.

Zumba was a fun class. Great instructor for that.

The candlelight stretch would be nicer if they actually had candles. Why call it candlelight if it's not??? But the stretch for it was nice and nice teacher.

The Qi Gong on the beach was nice and informative.

The tea with the energy healer was interesting, although some of it seemed like a bit too much advertisement or rationalizing of credentials. But there was some good information provided and demonstrations, which were interesting and worth the time.

With the housekeeping service, they came later in the day at the beginning and I requested an earlier time and even though it took a couple of days, they started coming earlier. Also, requested to fix light bulb in washroom and they got right on it and then even called the room and left a follow-up message, which I thought was very courteous.

Water is available in many places and you can fill up your complimentary bottle (BPA free) whenever you need it. They could, however, maybe place a few more bottles in a few more areas, like the Cabana pool, maybe closer to the elevators too, even on each floor if they really wanted to accommodate.

The pools are nice, well maintained, and clean. They don't smell like chlorine either, but I am not sure what they use. The pool attendants are also very helpful and pleasant.

The gym was spotless and fresh, actually, the whole hotel had wonderful aromas throughout, really felt like a spa environment, especially nearing the spa area. Movement studio 3 was a bit stuffy. Loved the ocean studio but get in front of the fans because it may get hot, depending on time of day and weather.

The temperature in the hotel was very comfortable. A lot of places in Miami feel like freezers (or they did when we were there last a few years ago). But Canyon Ranch maintains a very comfortable temperature so that the transition from hot to cold is not intense.

The schedule is packed, always something to do. I don't know though if you stay for a couple of weeks if the lectures would be different.

We wanted to try the Burdenko water class but the instructor was 15 minutes late so we left. When we brought it to the program staff's attention they were very accommodating. But when I received a follow-up phone call about it, they called it a "miscommunication," where I guess the instructor said he was there and no one wanted to take the class. He likely failed to mention that he was unreasonably late, so much so that we couldn't take another class because of waiting too long. A reasonable solution might have been to offer us a complimentary make-up session with the instructor because we were leaving before the next scheduled class. But all we got was an apology and the offer to tell me what other classes were available in general, like pilates, but I could see the schedule for myself and didn't need a phone call for that.

This hotel is close to Bal Harbour (maybe 5 minute cab drive) and I think close to south beach too, but the immediate area is residential and not much to do. This hotel is a good destination hotel, but if you want to party, probably go elsewhere. It was perfect for what we wanted. Quiet, no smoking, relaxing, active, beachy...not much to do at night but good for early to bed early to rise people. Again, love the non-smoking policy, and very secured entry everywhere, felt very safe. Pretty sporty and casual atmosphere. Laid back.

A note for those who are gluten-free, double check some menu items, like the cheesecake, it says GF on the menu but with a graham cracker crust, so I asked and the server told me it was a typo. They should fix that ASAP. For me it's just a mild sensitivity, but for a person with a severe gluten intolerance, it can be a big deal.

They give chocolates at turndown service, which is lovely, but they may consider choosing ones that are made in a gluten-free facility so that those who don't eat gluten or don't want cross contaminated chocolate can enjoy them too.

I think they could have provided complimentary water in the room, in case one doesn't want to drink tap water and forgot to fill their bottle. You can buy a 750 ml bottle of still or sparkling in the room for $10 each, which I believe costs more than if you buy it in the restaurant. Weird. But at the end of the day, it's not a big expense, just a nuisance.

You are also provided with a tote, personalized water bottle (with name), and pens. This is a nice touch, however, I had to change my bag 3 times because it was of such poor quality that it fell apart quite easily, in one case the zipper flew off on the first opening, another the mesh bottle holder ripped quite easily, strings falling off, sewing coming undone....I think it's nice to be given these totes, but if you do it, do it 100%. If the the quality was better the tote would last longer, and if it lasts longer people would use it elsewhere on other trips, and if they use it elsewhere then it's free advertising for Canyon Ranch. It just sounds like a good investment that may cost more to produce initially, but the pay off would be greater. We already got asked about Canyon Ranch coming off the plane because carrying the tote. But unfortunately I don't think it will hold up too long as it is already falling apart.

The beach is beautiful. You can get drinking water there too, as well as by the ocean studio (inside north tower), the gym by the machines, and near the spa area by the washrooms, and inside the spa area too.

The lectures were all really good. The feng shui lecture, the hormone harmony lecture, the personality type lecture, the neuro-science lecture...all very good.

Overall, we had a great time and will be back. I hope they make the improvements mentioned though as it would make the experience that much better.

P.S. the concierge recommended Fifi's restaurant, which is just down the street, and while taste is subjective, I have to say it was not a good restaurant, at least what we ordered, which was the paella for 2. It had lots of scallops, shrimp, calamari, and langustina tail, and the portion was huge, but there was NO flavor whatsoever. So while it may have been a fluke, all I will say on the topic here is don't be surprised if it's not that great. However, their complimentary flan was delicious.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor, especially if getting a Carillon King as they face North and may face the wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Philippe P, Director of Sales at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear GourmetFoodie3333,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comprehensive review.
We want you to know that we take feedback from our guests very seriously and have forwarded your comments to the appropriate staff members.
We also wanted to take the time to respond to some of your suggestions and compliments.
We are very pleased to see that you received the service and attention from our staff members that Canyon Ranch is renowned for. It is also good to see that you enjoyed your beautiful suite and our housekeeping service.
For your tour, we do offer maps, perhaps this was provided at check-in, but moving forward, our team giving the tours of the property will always have a couple on hand to distribute, as needed.
Our beach and location on the beach are ideal for strolls on the boardwalk and enjoying some time in the sand or water - we are happy to see that you enjoyed this.
We are also glad to see that you enjoyed our thermal suites at Aquavana and the continental breakfast at the restaraunt. Your tips are fantastic, as well as your ideas for different meal combinations.Our chef has taken note of all of your comments regarding your culinary experiences with us.
As for our fitness classes and gym, we are pleased to see that you enjoyed the vast array of offerings as well as how clean the gym is. Zumba s a fun class, and we have shared your comments with the instructor.
For your other comments, the fitness director has been informed and has addressed any concerns with the team.
Again, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Overall it seems that you very much enjoyed your stay here with us and grasp the complete Canyon Ranch experience. Our team works dilengently at providing amazing customer service and creating unique experiences for each and every guest.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Philippe Parodi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Rutherford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Fantastic stay as perfect as my other stays at this property. However I need to take a 1 point off for this being a perfect stay. On the kitchen counter I saw water for sale at $10 a bottle!!??!! Really Canyon Ranch has anybody calculated a profit on this? I can see having a couple bottles of Evian for sale at $4-$5 each but this was just uncalled for!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Philippe P, Director of Sales at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear rpz52,

Thank you for your review on you fantastic stay with us! We greatly value your business and are pleased to see you are a return guest.
We are disapointed to hear your dissatisfaction with our water. We work diligently at providing our guests with the absolute best products and beverages. The llanllyr SOURCE water we offer is pure natural spring water drawn from beneath the organic fields of Llanllyr. However, on your furture visits, if you prefer Evian, or another water option, just let us know and we will be happy to supply this for you.

Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

My husband and I got a day pass for Canyon ranch and had massages. We both enjoyed our services and took advantage of the spa facility. This is an experience and one should plan to spend a couple of hours just soaking in the hot tub and using the steam and sauna rooms. The warm chairs just lull you into the most relaxing zone and sets the tone for your treatments. The spa technicians and workers were just wonderful and couldn't do enough for you to make this an amazing visit. The lunch was incredible too. I highly recommend the grilled shrimp over the salad with peanut dressing. My only complaint was the meditation class. It was 45 minutes of a silent meditation. Who needs a teacher for a meditation of that length? Normally there is a guided meditation for such a long class. I should have done the Zumba instead.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Moosherella,
We are so happy that you came to enjoy the day with us and really got a taste for all that we have to offer. The spa facility is definitely a place to relax for hours and are glad you got to do just that! Also we agree with your salad recommendation - the grilled shrimp is the perfect addition to this dish! We are disappointed to hear that you weren't thrilled with the meditation class, but look forward to welcoming you back soon so that you can enjoy our lively Zumba classes!
Helathy regards,
Ridgefield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Miami CR is not the total experience that you will have at Lenox or Tuson. The rooms are nice , the medical dept and their lectures are excellent, they need to add a few each day. The exercise classes need improvement. The descriptions do not match the classes, very inconsistent quality. Only very few excellent instructors. Several are "just going through he motions". The "yoga room" by the pool is very noisy from pool equipment, not very clean, and very hot. The main restaurant is good but very overpriced ($45 for lunch, salad and ice tea ) the servers were very good. The spa services are very inconsistent ....my friend and I had the exact same facial. Hers included a head back and scalp massage , mine included nothing but the facial itself. The highlight of trip for us was the 2 lectures on the last day. This CR property needs better management in all departments except medical.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of Sales at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review and value your loyalty to Canyon Ranch.
We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your suite as well as some of the lectures.
Our medical team is extremely knowledgeable and informative and their lectures are definitely not to miss.
We are disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with some of the fitness classes or facilities and that you experienced inconsistency with the spa services.
We will be sure to share your review with our team members and do hope you will consider us again for a future stay.

Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Beautiful hotel, very professional staff, well maintained grounds and The Best Spa facilities I have ever seen. The spa is available for everyone in the hotel and consists of huge sauna, steam room with aroma therapy , Igloo ( which is very well designed and so cool ) , many rainforest showers with chroma therapy , different sounds and different massage jets, heated marble room, etc, etc….I could have spend a week there. Also it was my birthday and the receptionist send a bottle of wine and fruit tray to our room - very nice gesture. The hotel is immaculate - top quality everywhere , and the service at the beach is very good. I can not wait to go there again - one of the best experiences ever - worth every penny ! Miami beach is one of my favorite destinations just to relax and enjoy and I would choose Canyon ranch in a heartbeat !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jeny2000,
WOW! Thank you for your amazing review about our hotel. We are honored that you find us to be "The Best Spa Hotel" and that you were able to thoroughly enjoy the property, but especially Aquavana and its thermal suites. What a special birthday treat to spend the day relaxing and rejuvenating with us. We are so happy to see that you will be returning soon and cannot wait to have you back!
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Once again, in my second visit to Canyon Ranch, I very much enjoyed the Zumba classes, the teachers (she & he) are GREAT!!!!!

Also, the service at the beach is very good.

I recommend Canyon Ranch if you want to have beach, activities, healthy and good food, nice bar, etc. etc.

Room Tip: Sea view is great
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Oscar427,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review about your experience with us. We greatly value your business and are very happy to see that you are a return guest.
It is also a pleasure to read that you consistently enjoy our Zumba classes! We will be sure to share your praise with the team, and very much look forward to your next visit.

Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Miami Canyon Ranch is a beautiful property with a gorgeous beach and clean, clear sea water, four lovely pools, an impressive spa and great equipment (except for the bicycles that need to be replaced.) But what sets it apart from other resorts is the quality of its world class trainers who bring out the best in the guests who can choose from over thirty classes per day. Of the many excellent teachers, I would like to acknowledge Paul and Holly who go beyond the call of duty to inspire us every day and in every lesson. Their enthusiasm, in-depth knowledge of the body and ability to design movements to fit the different levels of students in the class so that all benefit are a great gift to those lucky enough to be in their classes. This professionalism is a hallmark of all the teachers - Canyon Ranch Miami is lucky to have them!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean are beautiful...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear 21Sue,

We couldn't agree with you more, our trainers really are the tip of the iceberg for the amazing experience our guests have with us. We will be sure to share your kind comments about Paul and Holly with them and their managers. It is nice to see that you were able to fully enjoy our beautiful property, beach and spa and are happy to hear you were met with the level of courtesy and professionalism travelers can expect from Canyon Ranch employees.
We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again soon!

Philippe Parodi

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!