“Crappy Service and terrible room” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
One More Night
Ranked #11 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Crappy Service and terrible room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was a two star hotel at best. We were put on the second floor in front of the elevator. When we checked we treated terribly and not even given a map of the premises. Everytime we ordered room services something was missing. The staff were not friendly or helpful. I would not recommend anyone staying at this hotel. I was very disappointed - especially for the price we paid. I would highly recommend anyone considering booking here reconsider staying somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review – we appreciate the opportunity to again address your concerns regarding your recent stay. As we explained during our meeting, your partial ocean view suite was selected in response to your request to be located near your friends, also guests on the second floor. And while we’re disappointed that we were unable to place you in a suite to your liking, despite our multiple attempts to move you to upgraded accommodations, we stand by our efforts to improve your experience by offering you and your friends credits and amenities in our Carillon lounge.

511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
West Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I'm surprised that this place currently has 4.5 stars. I did not think it was very high-end at all.

I came here with my girlfriend for the first time about a year ago and we had a good time. I thought the place was a little loud (kids everywhere) and the food at the restaurant was disappointing, but overall the experience was positive. We decided to book a room for a weekend getaway recently and I’m sorry to say, after this last visit, I doubt we’ll be back.

I'm not sure what changes they've done in the past 6 months but Canyon Ranch Miami seems to be headed downhill.

First, the good stuff. The beach is spectacular. They made it wider recently and the view is phenomenal. Just perfect. The guys who work there are all great. Really fast and help you get set-up each day.

Also, one of the instructors - Meredith - was great. My girlfriend and I each took 3 or 4 different classes with her over the course of our stay. Loved her 20/10 fierce in the ocean studio.

Unfortunately, these great aspects could not undo some of the disappointing things. Since my last visit, they moved the spin studio to a TINY room next to the gym with terrible ventilation (literally, so hot you can't breathe). And, we took a class from a "spin" instructor who seemed as if she'd never taught a class before. It was utterly uninspiring and not difficult - even though it was called "serious cycle 2/3". Forget her name… maybe Laura? or Lauren? Not what you’d expect from a resort that claims to offer the best instructors in the business.

In the ocean studio for 20/10 fierce, the instructor had to change her class plan because there weren't enough weights for the 8 of us who showed up and then the weights that were there were falling apart and so dirty - looked worse than the equipment at a YMCA. Again, shocking for a hotel that claims to be 5-star.

One last thing - there are 4 pools (which is great) but kids are allowed at ALL except for one. The adults-only pool also happens to be the location for all the water classes (which means music blaring and instructors instructing). Not a peaceful environment. I have no problem with kids, but when you're paying top dollar for a "spa-like" experience, it just seems ridiculous to have kids screaming at all 3 other pools. My girlfriend agreed it was disruptive and she’s way less critical than I am.

Overall - we won't be coming back here anytime soon. Lenox is far superior in terms of a relaxing getaway and other 5-star hotels in Miami offer a much more luxurious and rewarding escape.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. I appreciate your positive comments relating to your experience with our beach services staff and fitness instructor Meredith as well as your feedback on areas for improvement. Management is already looking into your concerns relating to our fitness activities and the noise level in relaxation areas. I hope that during your next visit to Miami we will have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I just spent 4 days here. It was wonderful !!!!

The location cannot be better. It's right on the beach. All the workout rooms and the gym face the water so you feel like you are cruising. The spa is excellent though very pricy.
All the gym equipment is top of the line and the trainers are all well trained and give you personal care.
My favorite instructor was Paul Thriussell. In case the name sounds familiar to you - be was the lead dancer for the Boston Ballet Company for 12 years. His Zumba technique is off the charts! I truly recommend this spa.

• Stayed April 2013
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with all. We are pleased to see that you took full advantage of our services and you have enjoyed so much your time with us. Nothing can better satisfy and motivate our team more than your feed back and we are thrilled that we have been able to provide you with such a memorable time for your vacations with us. We hope to see you back very soon.

Healthy regards.

CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Reading some of the negative reviews, I'm wondering if we even stayed in the same hotel! While the rooms aren't overly lavish, they are extremely comfortable and comparable to other luxury beach rooms. (This is the beach after all; plush carpeting and heavy sofas would be out of place.) I can excuse the sometimes inefficient service because for the most part it is fine, and it is always pleasant. And the setting combined with the activities - to do or not do at your leisure - makes for a great way to spend a few days!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Philippe P, Director of Sales and Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. it was a real pleasure to welcome you and we are excited to see that you were able to fully enjoy our property and service. We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here only 1 night; 1 BR Suite. Really nice, clean, spacious, luxurious. Staff friendly. Super nice lap pool (I am a swimmer) and they even changed the lane markers for me so I could do laps.
Workout center has all the bells and whistles and latest equipment and great music. Mens locker room/spa is spacious, clean and luxurious. Breakfast buffet really nice but not outstanding (remember its a 'health' place). Beach and boardwalk.very nice. There is a great supermarket across this street and nice restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with all for your stay at Canyon Ranch Miami Beach. We are pleased to see that you took full advantage of our services and you have enjoyed your time with us. Nothing can better satisfy and motivate our team more than your feed back and we are thrilled that we have been able to provide you with such a great time for your vacations with us. We hope to see you back very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We were seated quickly, despite not having a reservation. The meal was healthy, delicious and the service was outstanding. Josue was our server and he was friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words describing your recent Dinner at The Grill. We find motivation and inspiration when our guests are having a true Canyon Ranch experience.
The Grill restaurant has been recognized for the excellence in healthy cuisine for many years as we are paying a very special attention in the selection of all our fresh organic ingredients and our technics of cooking, Everything in our menus is home made and prepared on the spot to provide the maximum of flavors and nutritional benefits. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcome you again soon.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Let's start with the positive: Great spa area that's included when you stay at the hotel (minus services) and steps away from the beach (which was beautiful). Now onto the rest: First off, I booked on Hotwire and feel as if we were treated as second class citizens from the moment we walked into the door. This is the main reason for my low score and review of this hotel. I don't care where people book, they should all be treated the same way.

The room: We were put in what I consider to be the worst room on the property: second floor, right next to the elevator with a view of a wall and a teenie tiny sliver of ocean... if you stand on your toes. When I asked if we could move to a different room, my request was promptly denied because no other room at "our rate" was available. On top of that, the room was not five star standards: There were long female hairs all over the shower and bathroom floor (my parter and I are both men with short hair), the bathroom finish out was cheap and the TV in our living room didn't even work. The bed and pillows were very nice.

Food and Beverage: Overpriced. Heads up to management: you can make organic, healthy food that still tastes good. I'm all about eating healthy but what we had was not cuisine up to par with a five star resort. Our french toast was sliced bread that had been warmed up with a mediocre fruit cup. Cocktails were not up to par either. Very strong pours (if you're into that) with little attention to how the drinks taste. I don't know about you, but I would rather have a drink that tastes good and is a bit weaker as opposed to a strong one that tastes gross.

Spa/Resort: Was great. Pricing on par with what you would expect for a high end spa and a really nice treatment area. The grounds were well kept and the best part was the beach. A few steps from the hotel and very nice staff that are happy to set everything up for you. There is a cocktail waitress that works very limited hours. We arrived to the beach at 9AM and were told she didn't arrive until 11A. That in itself is annoying but was even worse when she didn't show up until 11:45A. Five star hotel should equal five star service, especially on the beach! We didn't partake in any group fitness classes during our stay but that didn't stop us from hearing them the entire time. Even all the way on the beach you can hear Timmy's Boxing class. Nothing says relaxing time on the beach like some dude screaming at people.

All and all: Not worth the price at all, would not recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. I appreciate both your positive comments relating to our beach services staff, wellness facility and spa services as well as your feedback on areas for improvement. In response to your concerns, we try our very best to accommodate requests for one-level upgrades when available and it's my understanding that during your visit, such an upgrade was not possible. Management is already looking into your room concerns and investigating the noise level in relaxation areas. I hope that during your next visit to Miami we will have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Philippe Parodi

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!