“A little bit of heaven in noisy March Break Miami” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
One More Night
Ranked #14 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Halifax, Canada
“A little bit of heaven in noisy March Break Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

During a busy week I had a great time at Canyon Ranch Miami. There was the odd day of cold wind from the ocean but there's still plenty to do on the grounds when that happens. Between the Spa (loved my Canyon Ranch massage) and exercise classes you're never bored. People who work there are eager to help you and make sure you have the best customer service. Watch out for Man O Wars like they warn you in the guide in your room but that being said the water was amazing to be in and the sun was fantastic compared to my cold Canadian March weather.

Room Tip: When the beach gets busy you want that balcony room - good for people watching on the trail below as...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of Sals & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words describing your recent stay. We find motivation and inspiration when our guests are having a true Canyon Ranch experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and escaped for a little while the Canadian cold. We look forward to see you again soon to fully enjoy the hot Miami weather .

Healthy regards

Philippe Parodi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you want 5 star, stay at the Ritz Carlton, St. Regis or Four Seasons. I have stayed at all of these this year and each far exceeded my experience at Canyon Ranch. The service from the moment we arrived was horrible. This hotel has many inexperienced staff who don't know the importance of customer service. When you pay for at a 5 star hotel or a leading hotel of the world, you expect exceptional or even good service. Upon arrival, we didn't get the room we reserved and the hotel management did nothing about it. Our keys didn't work, and our room looked into a disgusting dumpster. They told us there was nothing they could do and this mantra lasted the entire trip. This is not a place that cares about pleasing its guests.

There was no tour or the facility offered (I've never been to a Spa before where a tour was not offered immediately) and no description of where to go at all (I had to ask for a map). This place prides itself on its spa, but no one even explained what's offered, where to go to book appointments, etc.

At the pool, you can forget about getting any service. You must wait in a long line to even get chairs and towels (at the other hotels, you're greeted with a smile as the staff walks you to chairs, offering water and a menu.)

The only positive experience we had was when we booked $700 worth of spa treatments. The spa staff was professional and helpful and the services very good.

I was really looking forward to Canyon Ranch/Miami and am leaving so disappointed that at $800/night we got this very unpleasant experience. There are much more superior places to spend your money. Don't waste it here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty and for sharing your experience. On behalf of our management team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay as we were transitioning to a new organization at the front desk during this busy time. We value your feed back and our team is looking into all aspects of your review in order to improve your experience mainly due to changes in our team. As mentioned previously, we now set up at the front desk 1 additional position dedicated for hotel guests and one for the residents which will definitely improve the level of service with the presence of manager on duty in our lobby. Unfortunately during your stay with us, our property was completely sold out and despites all our efforts, no other suite was available. We are also actively reviewing your others comments for investgation in order to take immedaite actions. I am happy that your spa experience met your level of expectations and that you have been able to fully discover our facility. Due to the size of our spa facilities (70,000 sqft) we are mentioning the spa during the check-in process but don't automatically do a tour for each guest except if requested at that time. I remain available for any assistance you would have in the future.

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed for one night,had a two bedroom suite. The arrangement was good but decor is just sparce and not very attractive to the eye. Upon check in you are told you cannot use your cellphone throughout the resort & have to wear this silly lanyard with your room key to get around. You cannot go up on the elevator without it nor into the spa (like Fort Knox). Service was terrible, we waited for 15 min at our table (half full restaurant) for a menu. Waiting around for coffee refills & maybe a "how is everything".
Had a drink in the bar, terrible tasting alcohol. I have had better organic alcohol. Tequila tasted like dirt. Yuck!!
Spa was nice but strange set up...have to say the massage was fantastic and the steam was good. We were lectured about leaving our robes on the thermal chairs, which my robe was mixed up earlier with our room key in it.
Again much better hotels in Miami to choose from.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. On behalf of our management team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Further to your review i would like to clarify a few aspects that may be misinterpreted. The usage of cell phone is authoprized on property however specific area are restricted in order to preserve the tranquil and relaxing atmosphere of our porperty such as the spa or fitness facilities. In addition, the lanyard that we provide is simply for a convenient aspect since it allows you to carry your key. It is true that guests have to use their key in the elevator and some specific parts of the hotel for security reason but also because our facilities are exclusively reserve for guests and resident. In order to maintain this exclusivity at all time since guests benefits from more than 40 complimentary fitness classes per day, free acces to our Aquavana Spa, our four pools or private beach. Regarding our wine and liquor selection, we are featuring the largest selection of organic alcohol with more than 100 around the world and i am sorry that you haven't found one to your convenience. I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back for more than one night which would allow you to experience the real Canyon Ranch. If this would be the case, i would be happy to personaly make all arrangements for you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We are multiple return guests who brought are family and booked 3 rooms . Unfortunately our stay was scarred by terrible front desk service on check in and check out . For the price you charge, you continue to be understaffed at your reception area at busy check in and check out times , and very poor customer service by your management team, who were not available and did not get back to our request to speak with them before we left . Your reception manager who came out to help the back up, was inept .
You are understaffed at your pool and beach food servers , with poor service and a great deal of wait time , with food served cold and is very expensive . On a positive note food can be brought in , the Publix across the street is great with excellent sandwichs and salads . There is a reason why most of your guests eat dinner out , and you are ranked 83 in Miami beach for food. The moral of many of your long term staff we know is not the same as before and agree with our assessment . Your physical plant is worn and broken in some areas, and excellent in other areas .
Your class schedule is diverse and offers variety , your long term instructors are excellent . Many of your lectures though are sales pitches, not appreciated .
Your breakfast is your best meal , great buffet as a new addition. We liked that your assistant food manager walked around at breakfast and conversed with the guests . Your hostess is weak, our first day she made us wait awhile for a table and the place was almost empty .
Your bellman and valet are excellent , great service and nice . The people you have at your valet desk however , are poor .
Your salon staff , spa staff and staff in your lobby shop are excellent . Your spa facility is welcoming and well staffed which is due to your residents not wanting tolerate poor service .
There are many choices to stay in the Miami beach / South beach area , we hope you improve your management and customer service to go along with the Canyan ranch philosophy before your returning guests stay elsewhere .

• Stayed March 2013
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty and for sharing your experience. On behalf of our management team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay as we are transitioning to a new organization at the restaurant and the front desk during this busy time. We value your feed back and our team is looking into all aspects of your review in order to improve your experience mainly due to changes in our team. I am glad that you enjoyed our new buffet breakfast which is one of the various initiatives we are setting up at the restaurant among others which will come soon to improve our processes. At the front desk, 2 additional positions will be added soon for hotel guests and one for the residents which will definitely improve the level of service. I am sorry that this transition phase was not as smooth as we would have liked. I sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you back.

palos heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Our stay at Canyon Ranch in Miami was simply amazing, exceeded all our expectations. The staff was exceptional and the services were relaxing and professional buy yet warm and kind. The weather was perfect, not too warm but just enough to feel the sun and the heat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words describing your recent stay. We find motivation and inspiration when our guests are having a true Canyon Ranch experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to see you again soon.

Healthy regards

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel is wonderful, rooms are lavishly appointed. The Aquavana spa is breathtaking and people in the spa is very kind.
But critics are always the same, the management does nothing to improve. Staff is not very kind, not 5 star trained.
Breakfast is incredibly dissapointing and waiters are as unpolite as possible, close to be disgusting.
So, the hotel is really nice, location is convenient but if you expect to be treated like Mandarin Oriental or Ritz Carlton, it is not the place. For the same price go somewere else.
Can´t wait to see the manager´s answer....I am sorry for the inconvenients.....Same critics all the time.

Room Tip: Take care with the "city view". Lateral view rooms in the lower floors are exactly "g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like first to thank you for your feed back as you raised a very crucial point for our organization. Over the past reviews, our staff has been consistently praised by our guests for the genuine and gracious approach and we are extremely careful about our service standards.
Since it seems that your interactions with our staff was so unpleasant, i would be grateful if we could discuss together specific details and employees. I sincerely hope that we will have this opportunity and remain available at any time.

Healthy Regards.

Phiilppe Parodi
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was my 4th time visiting CR Miami and unfortunately, while prices have gone up, service has definitely gone down and is way below what you should expect from a place like this.

The classes are still great. Spa services and spa staff are excellent. But the front desk staff, restaurant quality and service need some major improvement.

The check-in/check-out experience was a miss on many levels. At a place like this, I would expect you to know that I’m a return guest vs introducing me to everything as if it’s my first time here. I was not given a water bottle or bag until I came back several hours later to ask for one. There was no welcome drink. My key did not work and the rollaway bed requested several times, never arrived. And they forgot to give me the surprise gift certificate my husband had called and arranged the day before.

The food at the CR Grill used to be a highlight of my visit to CR. I remember delicious healthy, flavorful meals. But this time, everything on the dinner menu was bland and WAY under-seasoned. I understand it’s a healthy menu, but there’s no reason to sacrifice taste. They’ve added mediocre flatbreads smothered in cheese, while refusing to put salt on anything else… what’s up with that?

The breakfast and dinner service was extremely slow. On several occasions, after being seated by the hostess, we were left sitting at our table for 10-15 minutes waiting for a server. We finally had to flag someone down to ask for some coffee, and then later for the check. The staff should appreciate that many guests are trying to attend classes on the hour and may not have unlimited time to dine. On a positive note, I enjoyed the new (self-service) buffet option at breakfast, a good value and should help alleviate service delays.

Overall, I love the idea of canyon ranch and am willing to pay more for all the great amenities, but the service and food need to be up to par with the high pricetag. I’m not sure how soon I will be back after this experience.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty and for sharing your experience. On behalf of our management team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay as we are transitioning to a new organization at the restaurant. We value your feed back and our team is looking into all aspects of your review in order to improve your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed our new buffet breakfast which is one of the various initiatives we are setting up at the restaurant among others which will come soon to improve our processes. I am sorry that this transition phase was not as smooth as we would have liked. I sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you back.

Healthy Regards.

Philippe Parodi

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!