“Heaven !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Baltimore
“Heaven !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Love the Canyon Ranch Spa & Hotel, Miami Beach. Hotel staff is accommodating and professional. Property is well maintained, clean and easy to navigate. Friendly and fast service. Spa is clean and offers every type of service you could imagine. Not enough time to try them all. Highly recommend this property. 5 stars !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words describing your recent stay. We find motivation and inspiration when our guests are having a true Canyon Ranch experience. We are happy to see our team delivered on our service promise and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Philippe Parodi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Pinehurst
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

It was first trip for wife and I and we enjoyed it. The hotel is first class, clean and well maintained. It is located in an area quieter than South Beach, yet easy drive away, and we thought that was a good contrast and made for more relaxation during the day. The rooms were well appointed and contemporary with Moscioni linens....great sleep. Staff were uniformly pleasant and attentive. The Aquavana spa is one of the best spas we have ever seen, with igloo rooms, rain forest showers and various other features we've seen no where else, including Miraval. Food was delicious and in line with top hotels. Massage menu good as expected. 4 pools and a great oceanfront with beach chairs without extra fees. Very security minded and safe environment. Only slight negatives were the 35 a day mandatory valet (typical for area) and rooms that end in "7" will be behind the elevator banks with some noise. Very good restaurants within 5 minutes walk.....Sazon Cuban and Cafe Prima Pasta (best in Miami). We would recommend and will return.

Room Tip: Rooms that end in "7" are behind elevators shafts.......some noise. North rooms have good...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with all for your first stay at Canyon Ranch Miami Beach. We are pleased to see that you took full advantage of our services and you have enjoyed so much your time with us. Nothing can better satisfy and motivate our team more than your feed back and we are thrilled that we have been able to provide you with such a great time for your vacations with us. We hope to see you back very soon.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I just returned from a very nice vacation at Canyon Ranch. I went with two girlfriends and we enjoyed ourselves. There are some strong positives, but a few equally strong negatives that I think are worth pointing out when a room costs $900 a night.

On the positive side- the beach is much prettier than I expected. I had not spent any time in Miami and wasn't expecting much. So I was pleasantly surprised. The property is nice and having multiple pool options is great. The spa is wonderful. I am six months pregnant and had a pre-natal massage that was amazing. They have a lot of offerings in the spa, which I wasn’t able to take advantage of due to my pregnancy, but my friends really enjoyed it. We liked our room. It was a great suite with a fabulous ocean view that was so nice to wake up to. It was great to have the living room and kitchen. We took several classes and enjoyed most of them- yoga, water strength class, core strength- all were good.

But here's where the negatives come in. The biggest problem is the lack of service. Check in and check out were fine and the service at the spa was very attentive. Also, one waiter that we had a couple times in the restaurant, Matt, was excellent. But other than that, don't expect much service at the hotel. Here are some examples of the poor service we got:
1. One day we went up to the roof top pool. There was no sun at the other pools because the sun sets over the building in the afternoon and there is only shade. Not a great design. So we went to the roof pool. At that pool, there was basically only one spot on the deck with any sun. So we moved chairs into this spot. I am six months pregnant and picked up a heavy lounger and moved it while the attendant at the pool stood there and watched me. He didn't offer any assistance, just stood by and watched. But then after we had moved the chairs and were arranging ourselves, he came over to tell us that we couldn't sit there because we were too close to the exit. I know chivalry is dead, but when you work as the pool attendant, how could you watch a pregnant woman move a lounge chair and not be bothered to offer help and then wait until afterwards to tell her that she can't sit there??
2. At the cabana pool, the first day at 4:45 pm we tried to order beverages. The waitress said they close at 5pm so she didn't think we could get anything. We weren't asking for cooked food and last time I poured some beverages it didn’t take me 15 minutes, so we put up a fuss. She finally agreed to get us beverages. On our second day at the pool we asked this same waitress for water and a food menu during the middle of the day. She walked by us many, many times serving others. After 35 minutes we asked again and instead of apologizing, she seemed pissed off that we would dare ask her again. It seems like the waiters and waitresses prefer waiting on the owners who are regulars and ignore the hotel guests.
3. We called down from our room one evening to ask for a cab. We were told by the concierge that it's first come, first serve on the cabs. So we went downstairs. After waiting for a cab for more than 15 minutes and complaining to the attendants outside, one said, "why didn't you call ahead of time?" We told them the concierge told us we couldn't. They said the concierge didn't know and we were supposed to call them directly. They gave us a special phone number. This is just stupid because how would a guest know to call a parking attendant outside if that isn't one of the button choices on the phone. I went back inside to speak to the concierge. He was on a personal call, which he didn't immediately get off of and he didn’t really acknowledge me standing there. He just continued his conversation, which ended with I love you, so clearly not helping another guest. I found this pretty shocking. When I asked him if he could call us a cab and why we were told cabs could not be called in advance, he seemed confused, like we hadn’t spoken to him. I’m pretty sure he was the same person we had spoken to 25 minutes earlier since there were no other concierges working. I just got the impression that he was too busy with his personal life to really be bothered.
4. We paid a lot of money for the room and were charged extra because we were three people sharing. If the hotel charges by the person, then there should be 3 of everything in the room- 3 robes, 3 slippers, 3 waters, etc. When we checked in we had to call multiple times to get them to come and give us the third set of everything. We also had to call multiple times to get all of our bags delivered to the room. Initially they just delivered one set of bags for one of us.
5. The hostess at the restaurant seemed somewhat irritable and overwhelmed if more than one customer walked into the restaurant at a time.

Overall the service is just SLOW, unresponsive, untrained, and uninterested in the guests. If the rate was far, far less this level of service wouldn’t bother me. I had a great time anyway, but when you’re paying that much money for a room, you expect phenomenal, attentive service, which this definitely was not.

Some other negatives:
1. The lounge chairs at the cabana pool are horribly uncomfortable. They need to add cushions, like they have at the beach.
2. The furniture in the living room of the suite is nice looking but also uncomfortable. We stayed in one night to watch the oscars and all had to go into the bedroom because we couldn’t sit in the living room that long on the thing that works as a couch but is really more like a bench with a cushion on it.
3. The male yoga teacher seemed miserable. He appeared annoyed that a pregnant woman would take his class. He didn’t introduce himself or ask our names when we came. He offered no variations for pregnancy, which was fine because I am a certified yoga instructor and know how to vary my practice for my pregnancy. But he didn’t know that I am a certified teacher. It just seemed like he didn’t want to have to work a little harder. He also only focused on one student, who is a regular and ignored the other three students, so I guess it wasn’t just me that he was ignoring. He was humorless, intense, and grumpy. He also made us wipe down our mats at the end of class. This is canyon ranch!! The rooms cost your customers a fortune- you should clean the mats for your students, not have them cleaning for you!! Just another indication of the very poor customer service. Also odd because the other yoga teachers put the used mats to the side and didn’t ask us to clean them.
4. Food- breakfast was good, but lunch was bad. The artichoke fries taste pretty good, but we all got indigestion from them. Also chopped salad?? not chopped. maybe they brough tme the wrong thing?

We had a very nice vacation, but given some of the shortcomings and the price tag, I’m not sure I would visit again. I think I’d consider staying in an owner’s residence because it’s much more affordable and the service is so poor, so you wouldn’t be missing much on that end.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. On behalf of our management team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay. We value your feed back and our team is looking into all aspects of your review in order to improve your experience. In the meantime, we sincerely hope that we will have a chance to welcome you again and provide the real Canyon Ranch experience in line with your level of expectations.
I will be happy to personally assist you for your next stay with us.

Healthy Regards.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I loved love the spa! If you schedule a spa treatment, arrive early so that you can take the fitness classes. I had visited the Canyon Ranch spa in Las Vegas so I wanted to see the one in Miami. The Miami spa is better than the one in Las Vegas. I enjoyed being able to go on vacation and to be able to keep my healthy habits with me. The fitness classes are wonderful and I was able to try a few classes I had never taken before. The food in the restaurant is delicious and healthy. I would definitely return to this hotel and spa if I was in the Miami area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. it was a real pleasure to welcome you and we are excited to see that you were able to fully enjoy our property and service. We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

A friend and I chose Canyon Ranch without knowing that much about it. We were simply in search of a beach break from NYC, in a quiet location, without having to juggle multiple flights or change time zones. Canyon Ranch fit the bill and more. A lot more. The pros: stunning beach; lovely public spaces; excellent food; spacious suites; dreamy beds; sumptuous bathrooms, including a soaking tub; fun classes, large spa, three pools; superb spa treatments; uniformly wonderful staff and service; the picture windows of our suite overlooked the ocean. Things we wish were different: check-in was not timely; suite living room decor felt drab and was poorly-lit in the evening; our two-bedroom suite had only one balcony, located in one of the bedrooms. (The one-bedroom we saw had the balcony in the living room.) Once we settled in, however, the rest of our vacation was seamless. Every single person we dealt with - from hotel administrators to resstaurant waitstaff, housekeepers to the guys setting us up daily on the beach, class leaders to spa attendants - were fully dedicated to our having an over-the-top wonderful experience. And so we did. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of Sales& Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. We are excited to see that you enjoyed your getaway trip from NY. It is a real pleasure to have such a nice feed back from you. We well noted your comments about the check-in and the suite living room and will definitely review these items. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I live in Florida but my girlfriend and I needed an "escape from life" but only had 2 days to enjoy it. I had heard of this hotel prior to my arrival but unfamiliar with it. Like many travellers to Florida, my choices of a getaway would have been South Beach or Ft. Lauderdale Beach. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience in North Miami Beach, just 10 minutes drive from South Beach. Canyon Ranch does not have a rustic feel as its name might suggest. On the contrary, it exudes a feeling of a luxury all-spa resort. From the moment we drove up to the valet we felt like we had left the city and entered a spa resort in the desert. The contemporary open feel made it very welcoming. We stayed in a 1-bedroom suite with city/bay view. The room was very spacious with its long hallway, and open kitchenette and living room area. The bedroom was big enough for 2 queen size beds, large flat screen tv, night table, and sitting chair. The marble bathroom with its sunken tub, vanity area, glass door shower stall with various shower heads and separate water closet just added to the luxury expected of a 5-star hotel. After a thorough walk through of the property and beach area I truely felt like I was on an island miles away from home.
From the moment we entered the lobby all employees made you feel special and were very professional and accommodating. The relaxed desk check-in service was very welcoming. The concierge staff was very knoweledgeable of the area. The food and beverage staff made some very good suggestions. All the food at this hotel is very healthy, which only added to the "getaway" experience as I am not the typical health food junkie. From breakfast to appetizers, healthy mediterranean/european is the theme. A must for all to try is the "Ginger Ale", a specialty of the Lounge, not your typical ginger ale soda.
Now for the amazing spa....Aquavana is an experience that everyone must undergo at least once during their stay. My favorites were the HydroSpa, Crystal Steam Room, and Herbal Laconium. After a 50-minute massage, 2 hours in the Spa, and all the health food I could eat, this was truely a well-deserved getaway. Thank you Canyon Hotel & Spa for making this a most memorable vacation.

Room Tip: 2-bedroom suites wheter or not you need it has ceiling to floor glass windows behind the master bed...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you for sharing great details about your recent stay with us and your enthusiasm about our property. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed our little oasis in Miami Beach and the graciousness of our service. We look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is my third trip to this hotel and it only gets better each time. the facilities and staff are amazing as well as the residents too! We really enjoy the classes and the instructers who are tru professionals. Our suite was beautiful and superbly appointed. The only thing that was missing was the fact that they eliminated the "grab and go" type kiosk in the lobby. We really missed that. Chaumcie the concierge is amazing and is extremely knowledgable. every time we go there she exceeds our xpectations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty and for sharing your experiences with all. We are pleased to see that you continue to take full advantage of our services and you have enjoyed so much your time with us this again. Nothing can better satisfy and motivate our team more than your feed back and we are thrilled that we have been able to provide you with such a memorable time for your vacations with us. We hope to see you back very soon.

Healthy regards.

Philippe Parodi

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!