“First trip with 14 month old” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
One More Night
Ranked #12 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago
“First trip with 14 month old”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our first true relaxation vacation since having our little guy; who's now 14 months old. Wanting to use some accumulated miles we looked for the best hotel we could get with our points and while Canyon Ranch fell just below Ritz Carlton for cost per night I can't imagine another hotel outdoing what they have to offer. The hotel is within a luxury residential development on the ocean and from the moment you pull up you don't want to leave. Staff are friendly and helpful. The atmosphere has 'relaxation' in every corner- from the dimmed lighting to the scented environments. The rooms are extremely generous with space- we had a full size crib that the hotel provided (at no cost!) and didn't even notice it was there. Having checked in just hours before the Super Bowl I was pleased to find a large flat-screen waiting.

The pool areas are just magnificent. The attendants (shout out to Andre!) are there to help you with everything you need. The views are to die for. The have 4 outdoor pools, 3 of which children are allowed to- all strategically placed so that at least one gets sun at any point during the day.

Canyon Ranch also has it's own private beach area that's fully staffed from early morning until dusk. A hit for us was the children's play area that's dug into the sand and outfitted with toys, buckets and shovels. Our son had a blast!

Saving the best for last, the Spa was the most relaxing place I've ever been to. Clean, calm and a slice of heaven. If you're coming down, make certain to bring a few sets of gym clothes for the classes they offer; I wasnt able to take full advantage but will next time around.

All said and done- CR Miami is on our permanent destination list.

One drawbacks: 1) The in-suite dishwasher had a slightly 'musky' smell, as did one of the glass enclosed showers. Then again, we only showered at the spa on the 4th floor and didnt use the dishwasher at all so it wasn't a big deal.

Room Tip: You need to ask for, and pay for, a room with an ocean view. The base rooms, while wonderful, have c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with all. We are pleased to see that you have enjoyed so much your time with us and especially with your little one. Nothing can better satisfy and motivate our team more than your feed back and we are thrilled that we have been able to provide you with such a memorable time for your vacations with us. We hope to see you back very soon to fully experience our facilities and in a few years your son may be able to enjoy one of our kid fitness activities proposed between 8 to 14 years old.

Philippe Parodi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

After reading some of the other online reviews, I was skeptical to stay. I'm really glad we still gave it a chance, it was totally worth every penny! I booked through the online travel agency Scarlett Hospitality, and they did a really good job of getting all my room requests and early check in to the front desk. The staff at the desk was very friendly and we really felt welcomed after a long flight. I have to say the spa was AMAZING! I've been to different spas all over the US and this is now on my top 10 list. A must! The resort has beautiful pools and the hotel grounds were great. I will surely come back!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. Our entire team is excited to see that you were able to take advantage of our many offerings and enjoyed the uniqueness of our Wellness Spa and Aquavana during your stay with us. We sincerely hope to see you again you for another stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you again..

Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Five of us spent a long weekend at Canyon Ranch Miami. We booked a 2-BR suite and upon arrival we were upgraded to an Ocean View Suite! The views were amazing and the setup of the suite worked well. The rooms were spacious (including the bathrooms!) and clean. Having the kitchenette in the common room was so convenient--there is a huge Publix right across the street from the hotel so we stocked up on snacks and drinks. The kitchenette is stocked with plates, utensils, etc. My friends had breakfast at the restaurant and I grabbed a sandwich in between classes from the cafe but we ate dinner mostly in South Beach which is a short cab ride away. The variety of exercise classes offered was really great. You can spend the whole day going to classes or you can just sit and lounge by the pool or the beach. Take a class with Paul: he teaches ballet, ballet booty workout, Zumba, Gyrokinesis, and who knows what else? I even saw him leading a kids' activity--he has a really fun personality perfect for the setting. All of the staff were really friendly and helpful--from check-in to the spa attendants to the guys on the beach who set up umbrellas for us. We also booked treatments at the spa--we booked them in advance as suggested so we could get the time slots we wanted--which we enjoyed thoroughly. Canyon Ranch Miami was definitely worth the splurge. Service was excellent, the accommodations were lovely, variety of activities was plentiful, and the location was convenient to South Beach dining and shopping. The weekend went by too quickly! I would definitely return--it was perfect for a girlfriends getaway but I think it would also be fun to stay as a couple!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing details about your stay and your enthusiasm for the many activities to be experienced during a Canyon Ranch Miami Beach vacation. The entire team is thrilled that you and your girl friends enjoyed so much your stay with us as we are totally dedicated to provide an amazing experience for everyone of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back real soon.

Healthy regards.

Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Hard to believe this is one of the "Leading Hotels of the World". One the plus side, the folks are friendly, the options to enjoy the ocean are plentiful, and the decor is a soothing minimalist (for Miami). Room-suites are spacious and well equipped.

But prepare for glitches: the card keys to the room work half the time, necessitating a call to front desk when they balk; we were awakened at 2 am by a hotel employee handing over the plastic bags you pack your wet bathing suit in... friendly but semi-insisting we'd called for them. NOT!

Signage to the various places where classes are held is somewhat obscure so first-timers wander around until acclimated. The classes aren't anything special and some of the resident members seem protective of their turf "Oh, this is my usual spot ...can you move your mat?" The lecture on skin care was basic, and disappointingly a sales pitch for CR product. (You expect that when you go to Saks...but CR bills these as 'educational'. Would have been good to keep the pitch for the last minute and say "come to our store if you want to see what we have for exfoliation."

A bit of irony. . .we booked Canyon Ranch this trip to Miami Beach because I'd always wanted to try it. My husband wasn't so eager, wishing to go to another hotel. I book, on my credit card, too late for any special deal, and I do the check in. We walk into the room and the "big screen" on the hotel channel shows a hearty welcome to my husband! I call to make sure I'm registered, too, as our names are different : "Oh yes, you're registered!" I jokingly remark that I might have been welcomed too on the TV screen. I was told the the computer could only add one name. Note to marketing department: check this problem out.

I might return with girl friends on some special package -- but I'll have my expectations in line with the stay we just had.

Room Tip: Unless you're dying to see the ocean 24-7, no need to book a room w/ an ocean view. You can choo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, February 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. On behalf of our management team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay. We value your feed back and our team is looking into all aspects of your review in order to improve your experience. I also well noted the TV mention that i will address. In the meantime, we sincerely hope that we will have a chance to welcome you again with your friends this time and provide the real Canyon Ranch experience in line with your level of expectations.
I will be happy to personally assist you for your next stay with us..

Healthy Regards.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and was one of our best getaways in awhile. From the moment you
pull up to the front doors you are greeted by seasoned employees. The hotel is gorgeous spacious clean rooms the lobby is so relaxing we didn't even want to go to our room. The spa was high quality and outstanding service. Everything was just outstanding we will defintely
return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing details about your stay and your enthusiasm for your Canyon Ranch Miami Beach vacation. Wre are thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you back. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I am not an experience spa going woman but the combination of the magnificent beach/ocean, 4 pools, amazing variety and caliber of exercise classes, spa services and high quality/healthy/delicious food options contributed to one of my best vacations of my life. This place is a must do if you want to or are taking care of yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. We are excited to see that you enjoyed so much your stay with us and we would love to welcome you back. Fortunately New York is not so far and we hope that you will visit us again soon. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Northern Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have stayed at Canyon Ranch properties for well over 20 years, principally in Tucson, but in Lenox and Miami, as well. The Tucson ranch is a well-oiled machine. Miami, unfortunately, seems to have thrown a bearing here and there.

No major complaints about the room, food, or facilities. Yes, the location is in a transitional area that mixes a nice new Publix market across the street with the typical MIami tacky, decaying buildings. Canyon Ranch is a rehab of a prior building, the Carillon, so it will be limited somewhat by the existing building structure. But, as I said, we had no real issues there.

The problem we encountered was purely a management issue. We had originally reserved the last night of a Miami conference trip through Leading Hotels of the World, of which Cyn Ranch is a member. The LHW rate is mid-$500s, and should come with LHW amenities, upgrade, breakfast, etc. Unfortunately, our conference hotel, the Biltmore in Coral Gables (see review) was so loud from multiple weddings, that we had to flee, so we called Canyon Ranch to see if we could get in a night early.

To their credit, they accommodated us. The downside was that they put the full stay at the rack rate of nearly $800/night. It's cheesy enough to ask for the full resort rate for someone cheking in at 11 pm (i.e., who won't be using the resort facilities that day), particularly when you can see from the reservation for the following night that they have booked through the LHW and should have a special rate, but to reprice the existing reservation at full rate takes the cake.

When the bill arrived the final morning, my wife (the LHW member) contacted the desk to get it fixed. They reduced one night to the LHW rate, and credited back the associated occupancy tax, as well. After breakfast, while checking out, my wife noticed that they had charged for the free breakfast, so she asked to have that adjusted off the bill, too. What she didn't notice was that the room rate adjustment had been changed to a miscellaneous "hotel credit," which meant that the occupancy tax credit disappeared.

She called Cyn Ranch from the airport to get that credit reposted, and was told that she had a chance to review the bill at checkout and should have said something then. Then the manager hung up. Nice touch! Overcharge the guest and see if they'll catch it?

Needless to say, we will be disputing the charge through American Express if the credit is not processed. But when did staying in a resort hotel become a game of "hide the pea" to see if you can catch where the charges have been buried?

New management would be a good start toward a path to improvement. Until then, we'll stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies will get you more fresh air. The non-balcony rooms have windows that only open...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippe P, Director of Sales & Marketing at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and for your loyalty to Canyon Ranch & the Leading Hotels of the World. On behalf of our management team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your last stay and can assure you that all necessary steps have already been taken to solve this type of issues. I am glad that all other aspects of the property met with your expectations and we sincerely hope that we will have a chance to welcome you again and make sure that you will enjoy this time the real Canyon Ranch experience in line with your level of expectations. I would be happy to personally assist you if this would be the case.

Healthy regards.

Philippe Parodi

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!