We have stayed at Canyon Ranch properties for well over 20 years, principally in Tucson, but in Lenox and Miami, as well. The Tucson ranch is a well-oiled machine. Miami, unfortunately, seems to have thrown a bearing here and there.
No major complaints about the room, food, or facilities. Yes, the location is in a transitional area that mixes a nice new Publix market across the street with the typical MIami tacky, decaying buildings. Canyon Ranch is a rehab of a prior building, the Carillon, so it will be limited somewhat by the existing building structure. But, as I said, we had no real issues there.
The problem we encountered was purely a management issue. We had originally reserved the last night of a Miami conference trip through Leading Hotels of the World, of which Cyn Ranch is a member. The LHW rate is mid-$500s, and should come with LHW amenities, upgrade, breakfast, etc. Unfortunately, our conference hotel, the Biltmore in Coral Gables (see review) was so loud from multiple weddings, that we had to flee, so we called Canyon Ranch to see if we could get in a night early.
To their credit, they accommodated us. The downside was that they put the full stay at the rack rate of nearly $800/night. It's cheesy enough to ask for the full resort rate for someone cheking in at 11 pm (i.e., who won't be using the resort facilities that day), particularly when you can see from the reservation for the following night that they have booked through the LHW and should have a special rate, but to reprice the existing reservation at full rate takes the cake.
When the bill arrived the final morning, my wife (the LHW member) contacted the desk to get it fixed. They reduced one night to the LHW rate, and credited back the associated occupancy tax, as well. After breakfast, while checking out, my wife noticed that they had charged for the free breakfast, so she asked to have that adjusted off the bill, too. What she didn't notice was that the room rate adjustment had been changed to a miscellaneous "hotel credit," which meant that the occupancy tax credit disappeared.
She called Cyn Ranch from the airport to get that credit reposted, and was told that she had a chance to review the bill at checkout and should have said something then. Then the manager hung up. Nice touch! Overcharge the guest and see if they'll catch it?
Needless to say, we will be disputing the charge through American Express if the credit is not processed. But when did staying in a resort hotel become a game of "hide the pea" to see if you can catch where the charges have been buried?
New management would be a good start toward a path to improvement. Until then, we'll stay elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The first of its kind, this spectacular Miami Beach boutique hotel combines the flexibility of a la carte hotel services with many of the limitless healthy choices of acclaimed Canyon Ranch health resorts. A feast for your senses, Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa in Miami Beach offers inspiring healthy living opportunities in a stunning luxury hotel setting – plus easy access to everything an exciting city has to offer. Housed in the modernized and restored Carillon Hotel – a classic of Miami Modern architecture – Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa in Miami Beach will enchant you with its exquisite design and matchless views. Situated on more than 750 linear feet of uncrowded white beach, Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa is convenient to both Bal Harbour and South Beach. This all-suite hotel just 30 minutes from Miami International Airport is an oasis of tranquility, warmth and healthy living in one of the world’s most vibrant cities. In a serene atmosphere of casual elegance, you can relax in your spacious, luxuriously appointed suite, float in a sparkling pool, savor healthy gourmet cuisine and organic wines and spirits at award-winning Canyon Ranch Grill™, work out in the largest and most beautifully appointed Spa in South Florida, and discover unsurpassed Canyon Ranch spa, fitness and health and wellness services. With its beautiful beach and menu of activities for parents and children, this splendid oceanfront hotel also offers a taste of the Canyon Ranch healthy living experience for families. From morning walks on the beach and the thrill of our two-story indoor rock-climbing wall to integrative health experts to advise and inspire you, you’ll find endless ways to reawaken your spirit and refresh your soul at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa in Miami Beach. Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, our Miami Beach boutique hotel offers an abundance of choices. In this magnificent oceanfront setting, kick back and relax, get outside and play, or explore our holistic approach to health and wellness with top experts to guide you. You can also take advantage of the legendary Canyon Ranch signature spa services that are conveniently offered a la carte to fit your schedule. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LHW, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canyon Ranch Hotel And Spa Miami Beach
- Canyon Hotel Miami Beach
- Canyon Resort Miami Beach