“Mother daughter retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
NYC
“Mother daughter retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Why do we keep going back? Is it perfect-no. Is it in a great location- not really.Every time there is a third night free I get motivated. Here's the thing we love the spa treatments, the classes are good, the private trainers (Walid, Hillary are excellent) but it can be very relaxing or very intense depending on your mood and inclination. The rooms are nice and have kitchens if you want to grocery shop and stick to your diet. Not all rooms are equal. Facing the ocean is more expensive. Some rooms are a little bigger. I have to say there is massive construction going on across the street and we didn't hear much noise. My daughter loves the saunas, showers and herbarium. I love the facials and every treatment. My worst scenario is the relaxation room which is very zen with drinks and nuts and magazines. It takes me a few days to relax enough to enjoy it! This is sort of like going to camp without the supervision. If you want to sit on the beach or at the pool the whole time no one cares, you do as little or as much as you want. That is what we love! Mild annoyances are studios that are a little far so you cannot always get there. You can go to classes most of the day and not spend extra dollars for private training. Whatever works. We tend to meet friends in Miami. Bal Harbor is very close by and a beautiful shopping area with good restaurants. My daughter likes to go to South Beach and try new places and walk on Lincoln Road. I like to go to art exhibits and try restaurants that got great reviews and then I think I am doing too much and should just curl up with a book and call it a day. This trip was off season which was great, quiet and easy to get appointments but they were fully booked for the holiday so i am glad we got out of there before it started. It is not as enjoyable when they are fully booked but I am always glad to have gone.My only complaint is that every trip requires a few days to get the kinks out.This trip I really relaxed and after having been sick all winter began to exercise again so I am thankful.I also love the fact that i can get my daughter to go with me (not so easy at this age) and spend time with her alone. Sort of the same as having your child in the car with you- they have to talk!Four days of bonding was enough, I mean great!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you and your daughter for sharing your experiences with all. We are pleased to see that you both have taken full advantage of our services and offerings as well as all that Miami Beach as a destination has to offer.

Matthias Kammerer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

It was our 5 th stay for my daughter and I. We love it here as we can attend great exercise classes, try some new things too like TRX , eat well and have a lovely room. The other benefit is that you are close to Bal Harbour for great people watching and shops so you can leave the premises too but you must have a car. The surrounding area has improved over previous years and we woke up one morning to the sound of the workers building the Publix market across the street. The instructors are very professional and energetic. We stayed here for 4 nights with the last night free promotion. Other than that promotion, there are very few deals here. They add18% gratuity onto all your bills which I feel sometimes makes the service better and other times worse. this is also one of the cleanest spas I have been to and is the standard by which I judge others. The wifi does need improving and had some slow times. Otherwise, the food is delicious and proper portion controlled. We also made regular use of room service as it is only an additional $2 charge. Make sure you order the purple potato popovers- they were awesome. We will return again next year but there should be some recognition or upgrade for returning customers.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you and your daughter for the immense loyalty. We greatly appreciate your feedback and apologize for the Wi-Fi inconsistency. Upgrades to our Wi-Fi infrastructure are in progress and stability and speed are improving. We look forward to your next visit and make sure to recognize you.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

The good: Rooms are huge and very nice. Property is beachfront and pools are great and plentiful. Location is ok (too far north) but easy to grab a cab and take advantage of Miami's nightlife. Most of the classes were very good. Spa is above average but services were excellent. The bad: Service really runs the gamut here. Servers in the restaurant tended to be very bad, especially at breakfast and lunch times. It was almost as if they had never been trained at all. They were nice, just clueless. Housekeeping spent 10 minutes trying to get open a cabinet where she insisted a washer/dryer would be. I told her (in Spanish) that I did not think there were washer/dryers in the units. After a call to her supervisor, she was told, sure enough, that only the residences had w/d. On my last day there, as I was walking around the spa in my robe that hung to the floor (I am very petite) one of the spa attendants asked if I would like a small sized robe. Of course I would! I wish I would have known those were available 3 days earlier. There are plenty of people working everywhere around the property, they just need to be better trained and/or more eager to help.
All in all this is a nice property with plenty to offer. I went with a group of women and we had a great time. We took advantage of the classes, the spa, lectures, and Miami! I have seen this property on Rue La La before and it was a great deal; grab that if you can!

Room Tip: I had a room that overlooked the street/construction site. It was a corner room and although the vi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the constructive feedback and our apologies for any inconvenience. We have some training opportunities with our housekeeping, spa and restaurant staff and will incorporate your feedback into that ongoing effort.

M
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

My trip Canyon Ranch in Miami was my annual beach vacation but not just any vacation. Last year when I visited, I weighted 70 pounds heavier and was not able to participate in some of the classes, though I tried. I was tired, out of shape, and felt so depressed. The experience was still amazing due to the the wonderful facilities and friendly staff. They care. After loosing 70 pounds, I decided to give it another shot and take full advantage of all the classes, lectures, and Aquavana. It was Ana amazing experience, and through their friendly and very helpful staff, my experience was a true wellness retreat. I highly recommend this resort to anyone who needs to find peace, get in shape, or simply needs to rest. Todd from Minneapolis, MN

Room Tip: Any room is great!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are filled with joy reading your story about your two visits with us. It is extremely rewarding to our team that our mission of “aiming to inspire people to make a commitment to healthy living, turning hopes and intentions into the highest enjoyment of life” has had such a positive impact on your life. Congratulations to you and we look forward to your next visit.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I just came back from a wonderful 5-night stay at Canyon Ranch Miami Beach, and I can't wait to go there again. I traveled by myself and wanted to spend quality time at the gym, taking exercise classes, playing and relaxing at the pool/beach, and eating healthy food. Canyon Ranch delivered on everything, or almost everything.

The location is exceptional, right on a quiet stretch of Miami Beach, a 15 minute drive from South Beach. My suite was beautiful and housekeeping service was on point. The spa is very good, though slightly crowded at times. I cannot comment on the treatments as I did not have enough time to do them. The pools are fantastic, and for those like me who prefer a child-free vacation, there is an adult pool and another pool that was nearly always empty (North Tower, 6th floor).
The classes were fun and varied, I did not have time to sample all the choices. The food was delicious, but the portions are small and did not satisfy my voracious appetite after all the activities. Also, there are a couple of hours in which all the kitchens are closed. However, there are a couple of greasy spoon dining options right across the street so this was not a problem for me but it could be for those who do not want to leave the hotel premises.

The only disappointment to me was the gym as it does not have sufficient weight training equipment for my bodybuilding program, but the classes more than make up for it and the instructors are quite fun.

With few exceptions, the staff was adequately courteous and accommodating. One important detail is that I went during the low season which made it for such a pleasant experience.
I presume the hotel is probably very busy and crowded during high season.

In all, I highly recommend Canyon Ranch for a healthy, fun and relaxing vacation. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: At the moment there is major construction across the street, but it does not affect the hotel. My s...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your 5 day experience with us. Your comments on our food portions, operating hours and weight training equipment are well taken and will assist us in improving our services and options. We are also excited to see that you took full advantage of our varied daily programming and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Miami, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I guess it is the price of being in Miami, but I have stayed and brought several people to stay at Canyon Ranch Miami. I was trying to buy a stay for my mom for mother's day, and called to arrange that and pick up the gift certificate for Mother's Day. I was transferred three times to three different departments to do so. On the third, I was transferred to guest services. I explained what I wanted to do, and she referred me online to buy this. I explained that, no, I wanted to pick up my gift certificate to have something nice to give my mother. She said she would fax me a form. I told her I did not have a fax, and she said if I came in to pick up my certificate, I would have to wait 1 hour to get it. Again, I explained that for this reason I was calling to expedite that, and as guest services, she should be helping me. She then told me she was front desk. When I told her I had asked for guest services, she said, we are also guest services. So, she was at that point arguing with me. She then said she could not expedite that if I did not fill in the form, which I asked how we could then arrange that. I told her twice I could fill that in by e-mail, but by that point I was so unhappy, I asked to speak to the manager. The manager came on the line after putting me on hold for several minutes, and did not apologize or ask what had been my complaint. I again explained I was a returning customer and wanted to bring my mom and that my experience with Canyon Ranch was always excellent customer services, so I asked to speak to her so she would be aware of the situation. The manager also did not apologize and did not ask why I had asked for her, but just asked what I wanted today. I found her response overall unsatisfactory, and I told her obviously the customer service problem I was experiencing today was coming from the top, and I would not be making my reservation based on her response. It is sad that this bad attitude ruined my previously good impression of this Miami hotel and spa. But there are so many excellent spas in Miami, I don't have to suffer bad service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. My sincere apologies for this very unpleasant experience. Booking a stay, inquiring about Day Spa Packages or buying a Gift Certificate does currently involve 3 different departments, including central reservations, the spa and front desk. We are working on streamlining this process and are ready to launch a new gift card this summer since the current system is rather slow and cumbersome. The system deficiencies aside, it is no excuse for poor customer relations and a less than personal approach to assisting you with your requests. We are working with the staff members involved to improve their customer service skills

Best regards

Matthias Kammere
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

This was my first stay at CR and I was impressed through and through. The staff was courteous, check in was seamless, classes were varied and fun, food was excellent and the spa was exceptional. I came by myself for a 4 day 'mid-week breather' and was so happy I made the choice. I ate almost exclusively at the Grill and loved the quality of the food and bonus points for the calorie counts. I enjoyed the spa every day and loved that I had access to Aquavana even on the days I didn't have a treatment. The beach was great and I loved having the various pools to choose from. I would come back again by myself or with my friends for a 'girls weekend'.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest,

We are excited that you had such a terrific stay with us and thank you for sharing it with all. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in making that “girls weekend” a reality.

Best regards

Matthias Kammerer

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!