“This is how a millionaire spends their vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
One More Night
Ranked #11 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
“This is how a millionaire spends their vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

The spa hotel was just unbelievable. Beachfront hotel, with a gym that caters to every kind of health and fitness needs, more gym attendees and private gym instructors than a small village, absolute luxury. And the beach! Not many hotels can boast a private beach in Miami, but this one sure does. Exclusive area with towel and drink service...just an incredible experience.

Room Tip: Canyon Ranch has vacation rentals...look up Misty at Pelican Rentals. (Great price!)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Canyon Ranch and for making such extensive use of all we have to offer. We are looking forward to your return.

PS. Pelican Suites is NOT an authorized booking agent and as such, Pelican Suites visitors will only have LIMITED access to services and offerings and may be subject to additional fees once on property.

Healthy regards

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Ellicott CIty, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

After reading all of the reviews here, I was somewhat apprehensive about booking here. I was in need of some serious R&R after graduating from an intense grad school program and before beginning to work full-time again, and knew I wanted warmth and luxury. CR Miami seemed to have it but I definitely did NOT want a lot of little kids, bless their hearts, running around and interfering with my relaxation. And there are a LOT of hotels like this in Miami, and many are decadent. However, I wanted some of the classes and the healthy menu so I pulled the trigger and took the plunge.

I'll start with the pros: Hotel is beautiful. Rooms are huge and everything are gorgeous. They certainly take the time to make you feel special. Aquavana is AMAZING- and this is from someone who doesn't even usually like saunas and jacuzzis, etc. DEF do this every day. just do it. it's awesome. Food was tasty and not that overpriced. They had some good deals (I did a prix fixe thing for 41 and it included a glass of wine and i had leftovers for the next day...that I ate in my full kitchen). The bar area also has a daily special on one drink and an app. Also so good. and everything is pretty light so you don't feel gross but you also def do not skimp on flavor and you leave full. The clientelle tended to be significantly older (i am 34) and mostly women (or families with yuoung children, which seemed odd to me but hey). It was definitely not a "bar" scene or anything like that, as some other reviews suggested, but it is also not totally looked down upon if you want to get a cocktail or two. Classes are fantastic. if you want intense, you can get that and if you want meditation, you can get that. Just a great experience in those regards.

Now the cons: it is expensive. It is about the same range as other properties that offer similar services, but it's pricey.
Spa: I was not impressed with my spa service. It was mediocre, at best, and way expensive. Not only that, but I was early and so they told me to wait in the waiting room and enjoy a drink and said they would come get me, so I did. had no idea what time it was but eventually went to check since I felt I had been there awhile and was told that they had been waiting for me. I explained what happened and they said sorry...but my massage was cut short and that was that. I spoke with the spa manager and, while nice, she just apologized. I mean, it was probably 15 minutes short, which is a lot. Was not happy about that. AT ALL.

the pool: While I am a big fan of the beach, it is sometimes nice to be at the pool as well, especially when wanting to eat. service is great but the food there is way overpriced, far more so than the restaurants. and the drinks? I got one pina colada (note: remember that these are all healthy versions, so my pina colada, while good, was more like a malibu and pineapple. fine but not what the menu said and not what i wanted. and it was $18 when all was said and done. WHAT??).

Pool, part B. The first day, there were unchaperoned kids. A lot of them. Four young girls, in particular, were loud and needed supervision. Now I am not a jerk. I love children and am all for them having fun. But they were literally playing tag (or a version of) around the pool, complete with the high-pitched screaming that goes along with it. then they moved into the pool and were trying to dunk one another. I am not exaggerating. When they were running around the pool, I did say something nicely due to safety (hey ladies, be careful. don't run around pool- or something like that.) but then when none of this stopped and I heard them say that their dad had gone in to eat but was too hot so he was staying inside, I said something to the staff. Keep in mind that the staff on the beach and at the pool are literally 20 years old (they all went to high school together, in fact). They were charming and nice and great and provided great service, but clearly didn't really know what to do about these kids. So they told someone else (I imagine a supervisor?) but then nothing happened. I then went and said something to someone inside and she said that it was their policy that children should not be unattended and she was sorry. I said they were and were still out there (I sound like such a jerk but I promise, this was crazy and, with no lifeguard, these kids really shouldn't be unattended). She said sorry and that she would tell someone...but nothing happened. I know other people complained as well, but nothing happened. I went to the beach the remainder of my stay.

CONSTRUCTION: The hotel is under construction. Nowhere does it say this. NOWHERE. So, from 8-5 M-F (maybe 7am, i don't recall), if you are in certain parts of the hotel, you will hear banging. LOUD LOUD LOUD banging. I even recorded it on my phone in case the hotel didn't believe me. The first day I heard this, I called the front desk and they said they would look into it and get back to me. They didn't, and I ended up getting up and leaving the room. and while i know some of you would be up and out by 7 or 8 am, i was not and didn't want to be. Not on my "relaxing" vaca. Anyway, next day it was ridiculous. I called the front desk again. they said they'd look into it and get back to me. well they didn't. So i called again and this woman said, "the hotel is under construction from 8 (7?)-5 daily. we apologize for any inconvenience." I said, what? that is not ok (I don't claim that I was articulate at this moment). She assured me that the tunnel they are building will make it so much better for guests and for my next stay, and then got off the phone. I was upset. I did not pay $300/night for this. I spoke with the woman when I checked out (that same day, who apologized but made no move to do anything. so then I asked to speak to a manager and he nicely took my dinner off of the bill, but really that wasn't enough. at all. no mention of construction at any point ? I would not have stayed at CR had I known this. I mean it was really loud. While waiting for a ride to the airport I spoke with a woman there who told me that she complained and they comped some of her stay. She was not even in a room that was impacted by the noise but said that she could hear it while at the bar and restaurant (it was even louder there) and that it was unacceptable. Another woman shared a similar story. Apparently I was not aggressive enough or something, but, particularly at a place like this, they should take care of you. I guess I didn't spend enough money or wasn't perceived as important (wealthy?) enough to warrant that kind of treatment here.

Window-washing: Upon checking in, I took a shower and, silly me, did not put on a robe immediately. and then, of course, i heard banging on my window, looked to see what it could be, and yes, saw a window washer dangling outside. I covered myself with my hands and ran to the other room. The front desk happened to call me then to see how things were going and i laughed and told her. She said, oh, you should have been told at check in and should have received a paper in your folder. I said I did not (and checked again) and she said sorry. Just not ok (though does make for a funny story).

Overall, I did like the place. It's beautiful and staff were nice. But I was, and am, so disappointed in the things that I "should have" been told and the things that weren't fixed (kids at pool, massage, window-washing, CONSTRUCTION) that I don't know if I would return. I spent a lot of money (for me, anyway) and while of course things go wrong sometimes, this seemed like too much for this kind of place.

Tip: though I know this place is all about healthy stuff, there are some great food deals off resort. There's an italian place that is half price everything during HH and a place with a good burger that also goes on special. they are walking distance. just ask. also, i went to liquor store across street to get bottle of wine to have while lounging at night on the resort. Also, I flew into FLL and went to the cab line but ended up getting a towncar from them. Was $60 which was less than a cab! Def do that. So worth it!!

In ratings, gave service 3 because the actual service was 5 stars, but the way they handled problems was 1. :( sleep quality was great except for the construction, but that was so bad gave a 2.

Overall, wasn't sure what to rate the place. I loved the place itself and wish that I had a better experience, but it was a lot of money for me to spend on myself and i just feel so disappointed in it that I had to give it lower stars. For that money you are paying for the total experience and I just didn't get it. :( Particularly frustrating was that I did try to deal with the problems when onsite and they weren't addressed or resolved (with exception of dinner which, as I noted, I felt not enough, particularly when I was made to feel like a complainer or cheapo). I was hoping to find my new get-away for myself and just not sure that I did. I see that CR reads these and know it's possible they will respond, but an after-the-fact response is much less effective or meaningful than taking care of it while there. Thank you!

Room Tip: make sure room isn't near construction. also, some views are awful (if you care about that)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed there, loved the place, my spacious room, the beach, the restaurant (did not want to eat anywhere else after it), juice bar. Did rock wall climbing first time in my life-scary :))), took ballet classes (the instructor is gorgeous, humorous, energizing!. He also teaches zumba, which others highly recommend). Liked yoga classes. Enjoyed the spa more than in Fountenbleu, the palms, etc. massage therapists are good (Mary Bob). cant' wait to go there again or to canyon ranch in Tucson.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your amazing experiences. We are excited to see that you took full advantage of all we have to offer and are looking forward to your next visit, Miami Beach or Tucson!

Jupiter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We recently have the good fortune to stay at the Canyon Ranch Hotel and Spa in Miami Beach. What a delight! The hotel was both warm, inviting and intuitive with it's keyless swipe cards that operate your room lock, elevator and spa locker to the peaceful decor . Nicely appointed rooms with sound proof walls offered us a haven away from work. The spa is one of the best I have ever experienced...and I have been to many. From the Igloo to the aromatheraphy showers they thought of everything. I loved the stop along the way to pick up a stone and make an intention, similiar to a wishing well. I only wish I could have spent more time at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words describing your recent stay. We find motivation and inspiration when our guests are having a true Canyon Ranch experience. Hopefully you used the intention ritual for seeking more time during your next visit with us!

Nice
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I spent two weeks at Canyon Ranch Hotel and Spa arriving after Christmas 2010 and staying over New Year until early January 2011. For about ten days of my stay I shared a junior suite with friends to make it more affordable – about 750 dollars a night between 3 of us. Two of us had a bed each and the third of our group was a night owl so happy to have the couch in the lounge. After New Year the price dropped to about 450 dollars a night and I stayed on my own for a few days before returning to London.

Although we knew this was currently a very popular spa (twice mentioned in Gossip Girl) we booked up late in the day and, with little availability and zero patience, decided to throw money at the problem. If you are ready to share a suite as we did, or have the cash to blow on a place like this, then I heartily recommend Canyon Ranch as a break from the fun chaos that grips most of Miami at this time of year.

Our room was one large through-and-through encompassing two beds, kitchen, lounge and a two sided TV so you could watch TV in bed or in the lounge. A separate bathroom and second shower room meant two could bathe at the same time in complete privacy and they were ample and decadent. We were on the same floor as the spa and gym so needed only to amble down the corridor for a couple of hundred metres in fluffy towelling robes to start the exercising or the pampering. A pattern seemed to unfold to our days - wake early for the 30 minute fast beach walk at 7.00 am then breakfast and a couple more exercise classes before hitting the beach at about 10.00 or 11.00 am. Lunch on the beach with a book and a glass or two of the home made ginger soda (divine) and recommence exercise classes late afternoon. The range of exercise classes are impressive to say the least and Canyon Ranch seem to pride themselves on their diversity as well as having top class instructors. I attended yoga (4 different kinds), pilates, dance, zumba and something I had never heard of called gyro-kineses, a low cardio class with ballet inspired movements run by a wonderful instructor who used to be part of the British Royal Ballet Corps. Residents as well as hotel guests are around as there are connecting apartments that I would buy in a moment if I had that kind of dosh. Classes were well attended, the extensive gym overlooking the beach strangely often empty. For pool lovers the shadows caused by the nearby towers meant you couldn’t find a sun-bed and make it your own for the day. You needed to move from the beach pool to the terrace pool for all day sun worshipping but as we were invariably running around between classes this never felt like an issue for us. After more classes we tended to wind down in the spa which was extensive and impressive. The facials use Environ products that are top of the range and work a treat although more expensive than I pay in London for the same thing. The mist rooms were a revelation - a fine shower of different strengths and flavours e.g. mint or herbal - and the rest of the wet area, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi all clean and a great place to while away an hour or two very easily. Staff were respectful, helpful and friendly at all times even in moments when spa appointments had been misunderstood and therefore problems had happened.

We had dinner a few times at the hotel the first few nights as we lacked the energy to leave the calm serenity of the hotel whilst we were still jetlagged and tired. However after the first few nights we used the evening to hop in a cab and head to South Beach for a few hours to eat at one of the many wonderful restaurants Miami has to offer and to soak up the Miami vibe. New Years Eve we headed to Joe Stone’s Crab which was a true experience and reminded me of the movie Hello Dolly with waistcoat clad waiters running around with towers of plates impossibly balanced on silver trays as they run around at lightening speeds. They didn’t burst into song though.

America is a place that in my mind sets the bar for service and this was a truly wonderful place to boost energy and health at the end of the year. I just wish I could afford to return on a more regular basis as it is most likely to be a once in a blue moon holiday for me.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are absolutely delighted that your visit to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa and the city of Miami Beach has produced so many wonderful and lasting memories for you and your friends. The next Christmas holidays are approaching fast and we would love to assist you in making your travel plans!

McLean, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have been here alone, with my spouse, and with my family, and I feel confident saying that this property still doesn't get it, no matter how many bad reviews it gets for service.

The pluses are fantastic: the units are spacious and up-to-date, most of the instructors are excellent, the spa is terrific though expensive, the food in the Grill is delicious and healthful, and the cleaning crew and SOME of the staff (see below) are devoted.

But the front-line staff is mediocre. They should all be sent to the Four Seasons on Brickell for a few days; most of them would be fired within 48 hours.The last time we were here, the check-in woman behind the desk didn't look up as she checked us in and stumbled (drunk?) through the list of standard questions. In the Grill and in the locker room and fitness area and at the spa reception, clumps of employees stand around complaining about their supervisors and lack of vacation time in English or laughing loudly in Spanish.

Many of them seem like grown-up club kids--true Miami stereotypes, with the rich-kid attitude to boot.

Many of them seem annoyed when they have to stop chatting to deal with a guest.

Others are just lazy or incompetent. My spouse once asked the concierge where to get tennis shoes (probably a recurring question at a spa resort), and the concierge was useless. The spa reception promises to call to confirm appointments and never does.

All in all, this place really makes you scratch your head. It could be a 5-star property if only they got better management.

Room Tip: Prob not necessary to pay so much extra to get ocean view. Least expensive rooms are nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us again and for sharing your excitement about our facilities, the fitness staff and the restaurant operations. We take your statements about our front line staff, the front desk employee in particular very seriously and we will research his or her performance the best we can so we can take corrective action. I am looking forward to meeting with you during your next stay and address any concerns you may have in person.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

This was the most mind boggeling resort I have ever stayed at. The Canyon Ranch name lulled me into a false sense of service and luxury. There was not one aspect of this resort that impressed me at all! Well...to be fair, the margarita's were pretty good.

Service: Quite possibly the worst service I have ever experienced. Plenty of staff around for a seemingly 1/2 empty hotel, yet no one to help you or assist you. Most stood around mimicking statues that did nothing all day.
Rooms: Spartan! More along the lines of a W hotel with minimialist decor--no carpeting or trim, apartment-like furnishings, sliding doors, etc. They added these to an old-old building that shows its age--no balcony??
Resort: Horrible design--pools about the size of my house pool (and I do not have an oversized pool!) Pool was shut down for 2 days due to a toddlers donation!. They had another pool that was for owners that we were allowed to go, but no food or drink service at all and no contigent plan by management to help out the guests.
Spa--small with limited offerings--isn't this the Canyon Ranch??
Food--Hope you are on a diet, while some of the food is good, the portions are microscopic. Limited menu and home-made soda (yuck!) I know this is a "healthy" hotel, but there are better ways to accomplish this instead of starving people.
Beach--not worth mentioning--it was o.k. at best--a bust for a Miami beach
Surrounding area--questionable and semi-scary--there is very little to walk to. There is a grocery store across the streat that was a lifesaver so I didn't starve to death.
Programs--also a bit limited for a Spa hotel
Prices--outrageous

I could've stayed at a 5 star Miami hotel and had a spa treatment everyday and taken classes and still I could have spent half.

I cannot communicate strongly enough to avoid this hotel. It's staggereing awfulness was the topic of discussion of many people staying at this hotel. I overheard many, many people complaining. I don't think I have ever rated a hotel a 1 and I always dismiss such horrible reviews when I read them as competitors writing about another competitor. If you doubt me, research this very carefully before you book and consider yourself forewarned.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear Guest,

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay this past winter with us. Our award winning 70,000 sq. wellness spa with 30-40 daily exercise classes and lectures, 4 swimming pools (accessible to all guests) and 750 linear feet of pristine beach offer a wide variety of choices even for the most discerning fitness and spa enthusiasts. Our luxury accommodations ranging in size from 720 to 1,200 square feet, each one- and two-bedroom suites offer an atmosphere of contemporary elegance, many with balconies. We are pleased to hear that our Margaritas meet your expectations. Hopefully we will have another opportunity to showcase the Canyon Ranch hospitality that we are known for. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this further.

Healthy regards

Matthias Kammerer

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!