“Heavenly” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Canyon Ranch exceeded my expectations from the moment I arrived. Every single staff member was friendly, positive, and eager to help, from concierge, Cecile, at check-in/check-out who helped me change my flight because I decided to stay longer, to the really nice guys at pool and beach areas, and the restaurant staff. The food was so delicious that it was hard to believe that it was healthy and low-caloric. The spa was beautiful with an enormous aquarium at the entrance, and the acquavana experience was transporting! My suite was beautiful and spotless, as was the entire resort. There was free internet on the TV; room service arrived in 15 minutes and dry cleaning was delivered within hours. The only thing I would have changed was the unfriendly Zumba instructor on Monday afternoon who did not bother to run through any of the moves or give any instruction before beginning to dance at a feverish pace. All in all, a welcoming sanctuary for a solo traveler where you will feel safe and welcome. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and comments with us. We are excited that the collective team effort by our staff members resulted in a terrific vacation experience for you, minus the disappointment with the Zumba instructor. My apologies for the inconvenience. Your feedback has been shared with our spa leadership team and we will take correction action right away. We are all looking forward to your next visit.

Matthias Kammerer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We loved this hotel so much! For our complete review visit: http://smartypanties.com/2011/06/10/canyon-ranch-miami-review-a-tiny-slice-of-heaven/

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your passion for the Canyon Ranch lifestyle and for the time to share it in such detail. We will review the quality of our bathroom amenities to ensure we offer a high quality product. Our team is looking forward to the next opportunity to serve you another Slice of Heaven!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Canyon Ranch in Miami for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary. It was our first visit to a CR, but we had heard good things from friends. We were blown away. It really was the perfect spot for us. The food was delicious and healthy. The room was luxurious and clean. The staff couldn't do enough for us. My husband is a personal trainer, so we were very much into the exercise classes which were varied and challenging. To top it off, I could still find time to relax on the beautiful beach with the gloriously warm water while drinking a margarita. What more could you ask for? We even fit in a bunch of spa treatments for couples...incredible. I highly recommend the Rasul Chamber.

Room Tip: We didn't pay up...all rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Happy anniversary and thank you for celebrating with us. We are pleased to see that you were able to take advantage of our many activities and services while still getting some well-deserved rest & relaxation. Thank you for sharing your story and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

miami,fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Our family has a tradition, since 9 of us are "Taurus" people, we have one huge birthday bash each year and celebrate by planning some incredible getaway. This year we decided on the Canyon Ranch hotel and Spa in Miami Beach. We all reside in South Florida so only 2 couples were required to stay at the hotel. Having been visiting Miami Beach since I was 7, and moving to Florida in 1980, I remember when the hotel was the original Carillon and I can assure you, there is no resemblance.

Check in was dellightful and a breeze. Everything is thouroughly explained and your spa services are reconfirmed The suite was tastefully appointed with a luxurious bed and outstanding bathroom. One of the biggiest problems is the key. They are very advanced technologically with a key system that is supposed to work for everything...I.e...door, elevator, locker etc. Guess what...it doesn't work. We had numerous problems with the elevator and the spa locker. We went back 5 times and had them reprogram it only to have the same results. Word of the wise....don't utilize something until you have it perfected. For the prices you are charges....your guests expect things to work properly.

The following morning we all met at the spa and my mother - in - law, who was footing the bill for all of us, paid for all of our services at the reception desk. I was a bit taken aback w\hen I returned and found my spa treatment charged to my credit card which was just being held for incidentals.

The spa seemed a bit dark and cave-like, not relaxing at all. I had ordered the “TOTAL” TRANSFORMATION FACIAL which was a whooping $ 330.00 and "TOTALLY" not worth it. I've had quite a few facials in my life...some reasonable...some expensive. This one was very unimpressive. My family members all had the same reactions to all of their different treatments. Just "so so". We then were quite anxious to experience the Aquavena part of the spa as it was so highly endorsed by all of the members of the staff of the hotel. I mean...I was really really looking ofrward to the experience and it ended up not being anything. It was very mediocre. The best part was the Igloo room.

After our spa morning, we made our way over to the restaurant. Now I understand that this is a "healthy" restaurant, and they were a little appalled when I asked for butter for my cornbread and my mother-in -law asked for mayo for her sandwich, but come on guys, the food here is inedible. How can you ruin an omelette? Try eating at the spa at the Doral...now thats good healthy food!!!

After our "yummy " lunch, we asked about the pools. When we checked in we were advised that there were a variety of pools and it being a beautiful South Florida day....we were eager to partake of the glorious sun. They recommended the "adult only" pool which was located on the 4th floor. We all trudged over to that pool only to find that it was being occupied by some "poolaerobics" and that also there was no bar or drink service available. So we made our way all the way down to the beachfront pool only to find that the majority of the occupants were under 7 years old.

When the day is done, I give this place a "C" It was a big expensive disapointment. We were all so looking forward to a Canyon Ranch experience and we were let down to a second rate wannabe.

There are so many other better places to go on Miami Beach....When your thoughts are on a top rated spa....just say passon this one!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Northern VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

In a word, my recent stay at Canyon Ranch in Miami Beach was amazing. It was the perfect spa getaway for me and 5 of my girlfriends. The service was excellent, the classes fun, the beach pristine, and the spa/Aquavana heavenly.

Each of us arrived at separate times, but check in was a breeze since our names were individually listed on the reservation. Upon arrival we each received personalized water bottles and Canyon Ranch totes (which were very convenient to take to the beach, class, and spa locker room). We stayed in two Carillon Queen Suites which were huge! The kitchen was fully equipped with everything we needed. The beds were plush and comfortable. The bathroom was incredibly spacious with a separate shower (including both an overhead and hand held shower head), deep soaking tub, large mirror and sink and separate vanity table with chair, and separate toilet room. The suite also had two large plasma TVs with free internet access and a living room with plenty of seating. Turn down service was great as well. A delicious chocolate and inspiring affirmation card were left on everyone’s pillow each night which was a nice touch. Note, however, that Canyon Ranch is into conserving energy and air conditioning is motion sensored. Therefore, every time we left our suite for an extended period of time, the AC would turn off and the room would be warm by the time we returned. This was my only issue I had while at Canyon Ranch. Also note that unlike other reviewers, I did not feel the hotel was overrun by young children. I only saw two toddlers by one pool one day. In fact, the hotel was not overly crowded period whether visiting the beach, Aquavana, Atlantic pool, classes, or gym, which contributed to a very relaxing environment.

While at Canyon Ranch I got a Mayami Tropical Feet Treat at the salon which was heaven to my feet. I also got a Firming Body Wrap and Massage at the spa. I saw results immediately after the wrap and the massage was the best I ever received! I used Aquavana every day during my stay. I loved all the suites in Aquavana, but my favorites were definitely the hydrospa and herbal laconium. The locker room was also pristine and had every amenity needed.

My favorite part of Canyon Ranch was probably the classes. There were so many to choose from and offered all throughout the day. I attended a range of 3-4 classes every day from meditation and breathing to core training. Each instructor I met was informative and friendly, and the classes were small and intimate ranging from 3-10 people. My favorite was definitely Buff Ballet Booty. It was a great workout that was fun and made me feel like a ballerina! LOVED the music and instructor. Restorative Yoga was a great way to end a day. Core training and Gyrokinesis gave me some great exercises to bring home. Qi Gong and Meditation/Breathing were a great way to start my day and get me centered for all the fun activities that lay ahead. Gotta Dance was a little disappointing as I thought it would be more of a hip-hop version of Zumba but turned out to just be your basic aerobics class. My sister attended the Rock Wall class and it was her favorite. The fitness room was equipped with state of the art equipment.

I also spent some time at the Atlantic Pool. It had a great view of the ocean, but I actually preferred the beach. The beach was very clean. The cabana boys were very attentive. There were ample loungers for everyone. Amenities included beach towels, umbrellas, and even buckets to build sand castles. There was a sandbar in front of the hotel which was great for relaxing in the water. I did get a chance to walk by the other pools that Canyon Ranch has to offer and none seemed to be crowded. There were always ample lounge chairs available.

The other thing I loved about Canyon Ranch is the location. This is definitely not South Beach. The neighborhood is quiet and surrounded with multiple small restaurants. Directly across the street is a Publix grocery which was convenient to stock up the kitchen in the suite with snacks and drinks. If you do want to leave the property, it cost us $21 to get to South Beach (7th Ave. and Collins) and about $23 to get to the Design District (Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink). Just be sure to call the valet ahead of time for a cab so you do not have to wait. Otherwise, there is no need for a car rental. Some people complained that this Canyon Ranch has a bar with happy hour. To be honest I almost didn’t notice there was a bar as it is tucked behind the lobby. It definitely does not exude a South Beach party atmosphere or contradict the Canyon Ranch experience of health and wellness. Finally, the other common areas such as the Palm Court and Terrace are picturesque and offer great views of the property for photo ops.

We got discounted rooms and a spa credit for our stay at Canyon Ranch from RueLaLa so this was a definite steal for a much needed girls’ spa getaway. Everyone had a fabulous time and we are already planning our return trip for next year! And since we loved the “a la carte” experience this Canon Ranch offers as opposed to Tucson and Lennox, we will definitely be returning to the Canyon Ranch in Miami Beach! Everyone we met was so friendly and accommodating. Definitely a five star resort!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

Our entire team is delighted that your friends and you had such a terrific girlfriend’s getaway. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for the Canyon Ranch lifestyle with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you all back real soon!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I was SO excited to stay here...until we got settled in. We stayed for one night and after paying $800 for a partial ocean view, I was terribly dissatisfied for the value of that money. At first blush, this hotel is impressive...grand lobby, modern decor and premium location but upon experiencing the room and amenities, the price should have indicated a spectacular experience, which it was not. The spa was terribly small for the size of the hotel, even though it was fun, different and unique. The food at the restaurant is SO healthy that is is bland. The rooms are more apartment-like than hotel appropriate...I don't need a full kitchen in my room! The couch and chairs in the "sitting area" off the kitchen are very uncomfortable. The bedroom and adjoining bathroom are lovely...big and beautiful, nothing left to be desired. "Gift shop" is amazing, service is great, outdoor space is lovely. I hate to say it but I will never stay there again, there are many places in Miami Beach that have more value for the money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies for not meeting your value expectations during your recent overnight stay. Our value proposition goes beyond the size and décor of our all-suite hotel and includes a 70,000-square-foot Wellness Spa, the largest in Florida. As a hotel guest, you have full, complimentary access to this sparkling, state-of-the-art facility. Access also includes the Aquavana® thermal suites, a lavish array of healing waters, thermal cabins and soaking tubs that you will want to explore at your leisure. We furthermore offer a great variety of 30-40 daily group exercise classes and lectures by our own health and fitness experts, at no additional cost. You also have the choice between 750 linear feet of pristine beach or 4 swimming pools.

We hope to be able to welcome you back and have you experience all we have to offer. Please do not hesitate to contact us so we can have a dedicated Program Advisor assist you in planning your stay and allow you to take full advantage of our facilities and programing.

autumnsky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed at the Canyon Ranch Miami and it was perfect. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel, it is expensive but well worth the price. The food was wonderful, the service was faultless and the pool (pools) was fantastic. One could stay by the pool all day or workout all day we did both. The area is quiet and the place shuts down at 11:00 so if you’re looking to party, this is not the place to stay or you can just take a cab down the street a mile or two and the nightlife is booming. Great beds too.
Spa treatments A+ as well. I would love to go back and bring my family.
Canyon ranch exceeded my expectations.

Miami tip:
Remember 18% Gratuity is added to everything in Miami and they don't always tell you this.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. I am excited to see that you were able to take advantage of our many offerings and found the perfect balance between wellness activities and relaxation. We would love to welcome you and your family back. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Matthias Kammerer

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!