“Birthday Bash” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
miami,fl
“Birthday Bash”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Our family has a tradition, since 9 of us are "Taurus" people, we have one huge birthday bash each year and celebrate by planning some incredible getaway. This year we decided on the Canyon Ranch hotel and Spa in Miami Beach. We all reside in South Florida so only 2 couples were required to stay at the hotel. Having been visiting Miami Beach since I was 7, and moving to Florida in 1980, I remember when the hotel was the original Carillon and I can assure you, there is no resemblance.

Check in was dellightful and a breeze. Everything is thouroughly explained and your spa services are reconfirmed The suite was tastefully appointed with a luxurious bed and outstanding bathroom. One of the biggiest problems is the key. They are very advanced technologically with a key system that is supposed to work for everything...I.e...door, elevator, locker etc. Guess what...it doesn't work. We had numerous problems with the elevator and the spa locker. We went back 5 times and had them reprogram it only to have the same results. Word of the wise....don't utilize something until you have it perfected. For the prices you are charges....your guests expect things to work properly.

The following morning we all met at the spa and my mother - in - law, who was footing the bill for all of us, paid for all of our services at the reception desk. I was a bit taken aback w\hen I returned and found my spa treatment charged to my credit card which was just being held for incidentals.

The spa seemed a bit dark and cave-like, not relaxing at all. I had ordered the “TOTAL” TRANSFORMATION FACIAL which was a whooping $ 330.00 and "TOTALLY" not worth it. I've had quite a few facials in my life...some reasonable...some expensive. This one was very unimpressive. My family members all had the same reactions to all of their different treatments. Just "so so". We then were quite anxious to experience the Aquavena part of the spa as it was so highly endorsed by all of the members of the staff of the hotel. I mean...I was really really looking ofrward to the experience and it ended up not being anything. It was very mediocre. The best part was the Igloo room.

After our spa morning, we made our way over to the restaurant. Now I understand that this is a "healthy" restaurant, and they were a little appalled when I asked for butter for my cornbread and my mother-in -law asked for mayo for her sandwich, but come on guys, the food here is inedible. How can you ruin an omelette? Try eating at the spa at the Doral...now thats good healthy food!!!

After our "yummy " lunch, we asked about the pools. When we checked in we were advised that there were a variety of pools and it being a beautiful South Florida day....we were eager to partake of the glorious sun. They recommended the "adult only" pool which was located on the 4th floor. We all trudged over to that pool only to find that it was being occupied by some "poolaerobics" and that also there was no bar or drink service available. So we made our way all the way down to the beachfront pool only to find that the majority of the occupants were under 7 years old.

When the day is done, I give this place a "C" It was a big expensive disapointment. We were all so looking forward to a Canyon Ranch experience and we were let down to a second rate wannabe.

There are so many other better places to go on Miami Beach....When your thoughts are on a top rated spa....just say passon this one!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Northern VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

In a word, my recent stay at Canyon Ranch in Miami Beach was amazing. It was the perfect spa getaway for me and 5 of my girlfriends. The service was excellent, the classes fun, the beach pristine, and the spa/Aquavana heavenly.

Each of us arrived at separate times, but check in was a breeze since our names were individually listed on the reservation. Upon arrival we each received personalized water bottles and Canyon Ranch totes (which were very convenient to take to the beach, class, and spa locker room). We stayed in two Carillon Queen Suites which were huge! The kitchen was fully equipped with everything we needed. The beds were plush and comfortable. The bathroom was incredibly spacious with a separate shower (including both an overhead and hand held shower head), deep soaking tub, large mirror and sink and separate vanity table with chair, and separate toilet room. The suite also had two large plasma TVs with free internet access and a living room with plenty of seating. Turn down service was great as well. A delicious chocolate and inspiring affirmation card were left on everyone’s pillow each night which was a nice touch. Note, however, that Canyon Ranch is into conserving energy and air conditioning is motion sensored. Therefore, every time we left our suite for an extended period of time, the AC would turn off and the room would be warm by the time we returned. This was my only issue I had while at Canyon Ranch. Also note that unlike other reviewers, I did not feel the hotel was overrun by young children. I only saw two toddlers by one pool one day. In fact, the hotel was not overly crowded period whether visiting the beach, Aquavana, Atlantic pool, classes, or gym, which contributed to a very relaxing environment.

While at Canyon Ranch I got a Mayami Tropical Feet Treat at the salon which was heaven to my feet. I also got a Firming Body Wrap and Massage at the spa. I saw results immediately after the wrap and the massage was the best I ever received! I used Aquavana every day during my stay. I loved all the suites in Aquavana, but my favorites were definitely the hydrospa and herbal laconium. The locker room was also pristine and had every amenity needed.

My favorite part of Canyon Ranch was probably the classes. There were so many to choose from and offered all throughout the day. I attended a range of 3-4 classes every day from meditation and breathing to core training. Each instructor I met was informative and friendly, and the classes were small and intimate ranging from 3-10 people. My favorite was definitely Buff Ballet Booty. It was a great workout that was fun and made me feel like a ballerina! LOVED the music and instructor. Restorative Yoga was a great way to end a day. Core training and Gyrokinesis gave me some great exercises to bring home. Qi Gong and Meditation/Breathing were a great way to start my day and get me centered for all the fun activities that lay ahead. Gotta Dance was a little disappointing as I thought it would be more of a hip-hop version of Zumba but turned out to just be your basic aerobics class. My sister attended the Rock Wall class and it was her favorite. The fitness room was equipped with state of the art equipment.

I also spent some time at the Atlantic Pool. It had a great view of the ocean, but I actually preferred the beach. The beach was very clean. The cabana boys were very attentive. There were ample loungers for everyone. Amenities included beach towels, umbrellas, and even buckets to build sand castles. There was a sandbar in front of the hotel which was great for relaxing in the water. I did get a chance to walk by the other pools that Canyon Ranch has to offer and none seemed to be crowded. There were always ample lounge chairs available.

The other thing I loved about Canyon Ranch is the location. This is definitely not South Beach. The neighborhood is quiet and surrounded with multiple small restaurants. Directly across the street is a Publix grocery which was convenient to stock up the kitchen in the suite with snacks and drinks. If you do want to leave the property, it cost us $21 to get to South Beach (7th Ave. and Collins) and about $23 to get to the Design District (Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink). Just be sure to call the valet ahead of time for a cab so you do not have to wait. Otherwise, there is no need for a car rental. Some people complained that this Canyon Ranch has a bar with happy hour. To be honest I almost didn’t notice there was a bar as it is tucked behind the lobby. It definitely does not exude a South Beach party atmosphere or contradict the Canyon Ranch experience of health and wellness. Finally, the other common areas such as the Palm Court and Terrace are picturesque and offer great views of the property for photo ops.

We got discounted rooms and a spa credit for our stay at Canyon Ranch from RueLaLa so this was a definite steal for a much needed girls’ spa getaway. Everyone had a fabulous time and we are already planning our return trip for next year! And since we loved the “a la carte” experience this Canon Ranch offers as opposed to Tucson and Lennox, we will definitely be returning to the Canyon Ranch in Miami Beach! Everyone we met was so friendly and accommodating. Definitely a five star resort!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

Our entire team is delighted that your friends and you had such a terrific girlfriend’s getaway. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for the Canyon Ranch lifestyle with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you all back real soon!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I was SO excited to stay here...until we got settled in. We stayed for one night and after paying $800 for a partial ocean view, I was terribly dissatisfied for the value of that money. At first blush, this hotel is impressive...grand lobby, modern decor and premium location but upon experiencing the room and amenities, the price should have indicated a spectacular experience, which it was not. The spa was terribly small for the size of the hotel, even though it was fun, different and unique. The food at the restaurant is SO healthy that is is bland. The rooms are more apartment-like than hotel appropriate...I don't need a full kitchen in my room! The couch and chairs in the "sitting area" off the kitchen are very uncomfortable. The bedroom and adjoining bathroom are lovely...big and beautiful, nothing left to be desired. "Gift shop" is amazing, service is great, outdoor space is lovely. I hate to say it but I will never stay there again, there are many places in Miami Beach that have more value for the money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies for not meeting your value expectations during your recent overnight stay. Our value proposition goes beyond the size and décor of our all-suite hotel and includes a 70,000-square-foot Wellness Spa, the largest in Florida. As a hotel guest, you have full, complimentary access to this sparkling, state-of-the-art facility. Access also includes the Aquavana® thermal suites, a lavish array of healing waters, thermal cabins and soaking tubs that you will want to explore at your leisure. We furthermore offer a great variety of 30-40 daily group exercise classes and lectures by our own health and fitness experts, at no additional cost. You also have the choice between 750 linear feet of pristine beach or 4 swimming pools.

We hope to be able to welcome you back and have you experience all we have to offer. Please do not hesitate to contact us so we can have a dedicated Program Advisor assist you in planning your stay and allow you to take full advantage of our facilities and programing.

autumnsky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed at the Canyon Ranch Miami and it was perfect. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel, it is expensive but well worth the price. The food was wonderful, the service was faultless and the pool (pools) was fantastic. One could stay by the pool all day or workout all day we did both. The area is quiet and the place shuts down at 11:00 so if you’re looking to party, this is not the place to stay or you can just take a cab down the street a mile or two and the nightlife is booming. Great beds too.
Spa treatments A+ as well. I would love to go back and bring my family.
Canyon ranch exceeded my expectations.

Miami tip:
Remember 18% Gratuity is added to everything in Miami and they don't always tell you this.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. I am excited to see that you were able to take advantage of our many offerings and found the perfect balance between wellness activities and relaxation. We would love to welcome you and your family back. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

eindhoven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Such a beautiful hotel, amazing room )which in fact is a suite, more an appartment). Great kingsize bed, kind people..... what a great time here. This is holiday!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your terrific experience with everybody. I am happy to see that our all-suite hotel combined with caring and nurturing staff made your holiday a great time. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerely

DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

What a disappointment. I just spent a week in what I thought was going
to be paradise (warm weather, beautiful Miami beaches and the amazing
Canyon Ranch Spa and facilities) only to find that the Canyon Ranch Spa
in Miami is NO Canyon Ranch. I thought I was going to have a peaceful,
healthy escape from my busy stressful life, but that was not the case.
The hotel itself is nice (pretty lobby, lovely plantings on the
grounds, great beachfront location and nice rooms/suites), but the
overall spa experience was horrible and not relaxing.

Healthy Living? I thought Canyon Ranch was all about healthy living
and yet they have a bar off the lobby of the hotel that has happy hour
specials that are actively promoted. (I understand that what is now a
bar used to be a healthy mini cafe with fresh fruit, granola and other
healthy treats that guests could grab in place of a full meal) Sure a
glass of wine may not be too unhealthy, but a list of cocktails and
reduced prices make it more of a South Beach bar scene. There was music
blaring from the speakers on Saturday night until 10 which was audible
in my suite. Additionally cigarette smoking (and cigars) while not
allowed are prevalent due to a lack of enforcement of the policies. Not
the healthy environment I would have expected and certainly not what what enjoys at the other Canyon Ranch locations

Peaceful/Tranquil Environment? I have never been to a resort with more
kids running around who are so unruly and unsupervised. This is a spa
and yet kids are all over the place including playing in the fountain,
jumping and screaming in the pools and playing ball in the courtyard.
Additionally, there is an age restriction for kids to participate in
the exercise classes and in the spa and yet like the smoking policy it
is not enforced. I took several classes with kids who were CLEARLY not
14 years old and were inappropriate in the classes. I came here to get
AWAY from my kids and have a break and instead spent a week surrounded
by other people's children who are far less well behaved than my own.
There a four pools on the property and yet they only have one pool that
is an adult pool. What is up with that? That is a crazy ratio for a
place that should be catering to adults and those seeking a peaceful
quiet retreat. Having kids in the pools also creates a problem with
sanitation as they had to close two of the pools due to "accidents" by
young children. They now have established some diaper policy, but that
does NOT take care of the noise and behavioral issues.

I understand that Canyon Ranch Miami Beach does not want to be the same as it's Lenox and Tuscon locations, but they have gone way too far the other direction . It is such a shame that they didn't choose to stick to their mission of a tranquil, peaceful getaway with a healthy twist. If I had wanted a bar scene or a family resort I would have gone to South Beach where both are better and at a more reasonable price. Canyon Ranch is trying to please too many different types of travelers and in the process is pleasing no one.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you visiting Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa in Miami Beach and are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa in Miami Beach is a natural brand extension for Canyon Ranch and intentionally serves a different population than do our immersion resorts. For many years we had been looking to develop a property that was appropriate for families and people not necessarily wanting the complete immersion experience offered at our resorts. Our intention was for the hotel and resort experiences to be different extensions of our core philosophy.

The hotel’s urban setting lends itself to a more “everyday life” experience for our guests and residents, and that is why we offer alcoholic beverages. We have received much positive feedback on our award-winning organic/bio-dynamic spirits program and thusly decided to expand the program to include the Carillon Lounge as well as our outdoor space, the Ocean Terrace. These spaces, along with The Grill, are open to the public and are often utilized as social gathering spaces for small groups. We are consistently monitoring these spaces to make certain that the noise level is not disruptive to anyone.

We will continue to empower our staff to take the necessary actions to ensure that all of our policies are adhered to by our residents and guests and hope to welcome you at one of our resorts in the future. Should you wish to discuss your concerns further, feel free to contact either myself or Jerry Cohen, our CEO.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Our family recently stayed at the Canyon Ranch Resort in Miami for a long weekend. While the hotel itself is gorgeous, inconsistent service detracted from the experience.
Starting with the positives, the hotel is beautiful and hits the mark in its attempt to fuse luxury and informality. This is a 5 star venue in every respect. The design is airy and contemporary and no expense seems to have been spared by the decorators. We had a two-bedroom ocean-view suite which was lovely. The spa and gym facilities, as you would expect, are outstanding and the army of health and fitness consultants were very good. The restaurants are casual and serve consistently good food (however, the menu doesn’t change much so it gets old quickly). The outdoor spaces are pristine and beautifully landscaped and the beach is, well, Miami Beach.
The only problem here is the consistently inconsistent service. If you read through the posts on TripAdvisor you’ll see this comes up again and again and it makes me wonder is anyone at Canyon Ranch is taking note. There is clearly a management issue at this hotel as the problems seem to be systemic. To be fair, the guest-facing staff were all very pleasant and helpful. I just don’t think that they are sufficiently trained to the standards of service anyone should expect in a top-tier resort.
As an example – we spent an entire day trying to get basic maid service for our room. No one had come to clean the room by noon so I stopped at the reception area and asked that the room be cleaned while we were at lunch. We came back at 1:45 and nothing had been done. As I headed back down to reception to ask again, I met one of the cleaners in the hall and asked if she could clean the room. She got one of her colleagues and they did so. I left them to it but came back an hour later to find that all they had done is make the beds. There were wet towels on the bathroom floor, trash bins hadn’t been emptied, dirty dishes were still in the sink and our son’s roll-away bed in the living room – i.e. right in the middle of the suite – hadn’t been touched. I was really annoyed and went down to the front desk to complain and to ask that the room be properly cleaned. Another hour went by and I went back to the room to find it hadn’t been touched. By this point I was furious and I let them know it at reception. When I went back to the room 45 minutes later the room had been cleaned and they’d left a fruit plate and an apologetic (form) letter. Later that evening we came back from dinner around 9pm and there’d been no turndown service. We decided to let it go as I didn’t have the energy for another round with the front desk. However, at 10:30 p.m. we had a knock on the door from a maid asking if we wanted the beds turned down. What was that about?
This is only one example from a three night stay, but it does tell you that something isn’t working at this hotel. There were numerous other small instances in the fitness center, restaurant, bar, poolside snack bar, beach cabana… where little lapses in service all pointed to the much bigger problem that this is a poorly managed enterprise. Please, whoever owns Canyon Ranch take note – a beautiful beach-side building doesn’t earn you five stars – you’ll only earn them when you ensure that the needs of every guest are anticipated and met (if not occasionally exceeded) in as efficient and unobtrusive a way as possible. You really need to focus on getting your management and staff on the same page and putting in place some effective training to get people focused on customer service. Until then, you will continue to see posts like this from disappointed guests.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
CanyonRanchHotel-Spa, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

we are appreciative of your stay with us and are glad that you found the hotel to be “a five star venue in every respect.” Canyon Ranch takes great pride in offering our guests’ state-of –the-art fitness facilities, top-notch health practitioners, beautiful accommodations and delicious, healthy cuisine. We apologize for any issues you may have experienced with our housekeeping and other staff during your stay. We are continuously training all of our staff to meet the needs of our guests and hope that you’ll consider visiting us again in the future.

Matthias Kammerer

Been to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Share your experiences!