“Didn't stay here but used amenities” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2001 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
USA
“Didn't stay here but used amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I had a friend staying here so I used the amenities. The hotel offers beach yoga which was amazing. The hotel offers 3 pools each one a different temperature depending on which you want. Beautiful hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

513 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I would like to start with the up side facts about the Setai - the concierge desk is very professional - Erwin from the team , arranged all our reservations , did many changes .. Always with a smile ..
The breakfast is served in a nice hall , on the long Buffet you can find any thing you dreamed of ..implacable service during breakfast .
But ....
We did the reservation through Amex Centurion - when we checked in - I asked if they will give us the upgrade they are obliged to give upon availability - the receptionist said the hotel was fully booked ( no true ) but at the end they gave us an. "Upgrade" - they assigned for us a suite actually facing a huge parking with 7 floors , at the back of the hotel !!
On the first evening - the" turn down" service never came - so when we returned to the room - it was dirty ..
The towels we had at the first night were like the ones you take for camping .. Old and worn out ..
The make up mirror is placed on the wall - you need to sit actually on the floor in order to see your self at the mirror.. So strange ..
The bed linens are basic .. Far away from the cotton you dream of .. ..
The hotel was under renovation until the 15.11.13 - I am sorry they did not renovate the rooms - they should urgently do it .

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The most noticeable things of the Setai are the professionality of the personnel and the furnitures.
If you are looking for the best way to waste 200usd instead have a massage at the SPA.
Both staying at the beach and on the pool side are very confortable and with aboundant personnel and service.
Outstanding the availability of a Maserati Quattroporte as House car for going out at night.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the tower
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We just returned from 3 nights at the Setai, a sophisticated, elegant, flawlessly run resort, with a fabulous location close to Lincoln Rd, etc. The quality of service could not be surpassed, as were the accommodations, the food, the beach....I could go on and on. It was the friendliest staff I have ever encountered, and every request/question was answered immediately. The dinner we had in the Setai Grill was simply fabulous, and when Mathias Gervais, the head chef, came over to our table to speak with us, we were so charmed by him. The buffet breakfast served in "The Restaurant" was delicious as well. All the personnel on the gorgeous stretch of beach and working at the pool were meticulous and caring. We look forward to our return visit --- can't happen soon enough!

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed at The Setai in March 2012 and I am please to say this place is still my top choice on Sobe.
It is for people who don't want to be seen but at the same time enjoy the crazy life of Miami beach.
The rooms are big and spacious from the entry level category and very luxury. Every time I walked through the lobby it gave me a sense of tranquillity. The pool was being redone (it is now opened) but we did enjoy the beach facilities.
It is a secure, secluded and "not in your face" hotel hence why you will see quite few VIPs here.
The restaurant is not longer oriental and now contemporary Mediterranean, still very high standard and delicious.
If I will visit Miami again I will come back to enjoy and spoil myself here.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Setai is a great hotel in the heart of Miami Beach that has a level of sophistication that few other hotels in the area can really match. The location is perfect, right on the northern end of where all of the Miami Beach/ South Beach action is, so if you’re looking for a “scene” it’s within easy walking distance, but then you can escape to the serenity that awaits at the Setai. We debated long and hard about choosing this or the SLS, and after having went to visit the SLS and having dinner at the Bazaar, I can say that we were very pleased that we chose the Setai. If you want to be where all of the party goers are and where you can find crazy pool parties and drink at the hotel bar until wee hours of the morning, then the Setai won’t be for you (based on our observations, the SLS, however, would be). The Setai is much more sedate, serene and has a certain feeling of sophistication throughout the property; based on visiting other hotels along Collins and Ocean Drive, few other hotels even came close to matching the Setai.

We booked our stay through Amex’s Fine Hotels and Resorts – and received a great package with many amenities and perks (a discounted nightly rate, one night free for staying 4+ nights, free breakfast – which was really quite an extensive buffet including eggs made to order, our room was ready for check-in when we arrived around 11.30am, we were able to push back check-out until 5pm). The property is tastefully decorated throughout. The room is large and beautifully furnished. The bed is comfortable with nice linens (which when you inspect it, looks like a box spring with a mattress pad on top --- but don’t worry, it's actually very, very comfortable). The bathroom is huge. The soaking tub in the bathroom is a nice touch. The rain shower is simply amazing --- it’s certainly not eco-friendly, since the amount of water coming out of the shower head is the most I’ve ever experienced --- really a treat. The Asprey bath products are a nice amenity to find as well.

The lounge area with reflecting pools is really beautiful at day and night --- whether you’re out there in the morning for breakfast or at night for a drink (which, by the way, I highly recommend --- the cocktails at the bar are really phenomenal). The pool area had just underwent some renovations and opened the day we arrived. The pools at the Setai are beautiful and based on our visiting other hotel pools in the area, the Setai clearly has the most beautiful pool area hands down. That being said, if you’re looking for a scene at the pool, go elsewhere, it’s much more sedate here. There are 3 pools here --- each a different temperature. One pool is open to families, the other two are for adults only (which is nice in theory, although read further below). All seating is first-come, first served (during the weekend, get there by 10am if you want prime seats with the best sun exposure) with no drink spend minimum and no extra charges for chairs/umbrellas or any of that crap that sometimes other beach hotels try to pull. Same is true of the beach area. The service at the pool and beach is first class. The staff there is really top notch - after the first day, they all greeted us by name. Sunscreen, bottled water, cold scented towels, reading materials, smoothie tastings are all provided complimentary.

And now for some of the hiccups. Service for the most part is fabulous, but there are some noteworthy exceptions. During check-in, the front desk receptionist who guided us to our room was gracious --- but there were two awkward moments. First when she asked my boyfriend whether he wanted housekeeping to set up a rollaway bed for him at night (umm… no ma’am, we’ll be sleeping in sin in the same bed…) and then when they listed the wrong room rate on the rate acknowledgment slip they wanted us to sign.

It also bothered me that the hotel charged us for two things without letting us know we would be charged for them. My boyfriend had called ahead asking if there was a microwave in the room --- they said they would make sure there would be one, but they never mentioned that they would charge $40 for it. Not a huge deal, since we were there for 5 nights, but they should have let us know ahead of time. A similar situation occurred at breakfast when a waiter asked if we wanted water --- I said yes. He didn’t ask whether we wanted tap, sparkling or still, and as a New Yorker where most locals have no problem drinking out of the tap, I mistakenly assumed he would give us tap water unless we requested otherwise. Of course, though, while we're both getting items at the buffet he pours us still water from a bottle and not until the bill arrives do we realize we've been given bottled water and that we'll have to pay $10 extra out of pocket.... again, not a major thing, but I wish they were more upfront about the charge.

There was also a huge misstep with housekeeping/room-service. Wanting to take advantage of the soaking tub and a bottle of champagne we had, we called housekeeping to ask for bath salts and an ice bucket. Long story short, after many repeated phone calls and two different people being sent up to our room (both arriving empty-handed, mind you, for some bizarre, mind-baffling reason), we were left without bath salts or ice during the whole two hour episode. Housekeeping blamed room service. It all sounded like excuses to me; all I know was that my boyfriend and I wasted two hours waiting for bath salts and a bucket of ice. We then had to leave for dinner, and I spoke to the front desk receptionist about the situation. He said he would talk to the guest services manager and have him follow up with us. We return from dinner that night and there is no follow up. By lunch the next day, there is still no follow up. Upset and disappointed I return to the front desk and demand to speak to the manager. Only then do they finally right the situation and offer us both a free complimentary 60 minute massage (which by the way, are excellent; although I would be hard pressed to justify spending $210, before tip, per massage) for the service mishap. Lesson to be learned: be persistent and ask to speak to someone with authority if you do experience a hiccup. I don't expect that these hiccups happen often, but they will make it right... but only with enough persistence...

Another complaint was that daily housecleaning and turn-down service seemed to happen at random times --- we walked in on several occasions when our room was being serviced and we had to head elsewhere to wait for them to finish. Some consistency would have been nice so that we could plan around it. Alternatively, on the instances when we called to say that we were leaving our room and they responded that they would send up housekeeping right away to service our room, it would be nice if it actually happened “right away”, rather than 3-4 hours later when we returned and found housekeeping still cleaning our room.

We couldn’t hear much from other rooms through the walls, but we could hear people through the hallway door. So be warned, if you have early bird risers as your neighbors, you will likely be awakened by them if they are loud in the halls. Lastly, I wish the people working at the pool would do a better job enforcing the no-child policy in the two adult only pools (or alternatively, maybe their parents who were too busy catching a tan and drinking cocktails by the pool should have done a better job watching over their screaming children….). At times, there would be random kids running and screaming about everywhere and jumping in all of the pools. My boyfriend were looking for some peaceful relaxation, and having kids screaming around all areas of the pool didn't help. This didn’t happen often or for long, but it was enough to bother me considering we were told of the policy when they gave us a property tour, and it would have been easy for the pool staff to enforce by simply saying something to the parents.

But in the big scheme of things, I can overlook most of those hiccups. It seems like we had a litany of complaints and problems, but honestly, they were all minor --- just giving you full disclosure of our experience. I have no regrets about staying at the Setai and we would happily return and recommend it to others. As I said, if you're looking for a serene, sophisticated setting, you'll be pleased to stay here --- even if it isn't perfect down to the last detail....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was our last stop in Florida Keys,on our way home. Stunning hotel inside and around the pool,with two restaraunts to choose and big spa and gym. Rooms are very spacious with all the bells and whistles thrown in and an amazing shower too! .My 'but' is the amount of 'suits' that monitor the vast aray of staff in the restaraunts and around the pool. The staff are superb and there are loads of them,but,with all the suits around,it tells me that they need to watch over them, all the time!. Only a small gripe,but it was noticed. Dont let this put you off,it is an amazing hotel with a stunning courtyard water feature.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Setai? Share your experiences!