Just returned from a long weekend at the Setai with my husband. Gorgeous property.
What we loved:
- Proximity to South Beach nightlife. Easy walk to W, Delano, etc. for nightlife.
- Oasis feel. So peaceful - unlike so many SoBe places. The pool area feels like another planet.
- Host at the restaurant. Went there for breakfast and he was incredibly attentive. Even though I arrived just as breakfast was closing he made me feel welcome and made sure I wasn't rushed.
- Q, the bartender. He rocks. And introduced us to a tasty new drink with a chili pepper in it.
- Our room. We were in the Art Deco main building. The condos looks terrific too, but we were perfectly happy in our place - large room, had all the amenities (robes, good wine in mini-bar, etc) that made us feel special.
- Beach. Great set-up,. By far the Setai's beach lounges were superior to the other hotel's set-ups! And they were great about adjusting the umbrellas, etc when we were settling in.
- Our room wasn't ready at check-in so while we waited for about 15 mins they kindly offered us free cocktails (which usually go for $18 each) at the bar. It was worth the wait for our room!
What we didn't love:
- The slow service everywhere except by the above-mention bartender and breakfast host.Was hard to track down servers at the pool and on the beach.
- Ordering a poolside beer took 10 mins to find the server and another 15 minutes (really) before it arrived. And it wasn't busy at all. The servers were very polite but then disappeared for way too long before arriving with the order. Slow service each time we were at the pool - a total of four orders. And once they messed up the order. I do have to say that as a result, the did give us complimentary beer and wine and they were very apologetic, but still, the delays were horrible.
- Food prices. Ridiculously pricy....but so is all of South Beach! The breakfast was amazing (I had an omelette) and dinner was very good.
- Spa - was smaller than I imagined it would be. While you are waiting for your treatment, you sit in the lobby where others are checking in for treatments. I had a bikini wax which I only noticed after I'd left was a bad job - I won't go into details but they were not thorough. And the woman who gave me my treatment had me wait with her while she replaced the sheets and cleaned up before walking me down for check-out, which seemed odd to me.
We will come here again but use a different spa at another hotel and hope to see faster service at the pool and on the beach.