“Really a mixed bag - almost luxury” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2001 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
ny
“Really a mixed bag - almost luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a very confusing hotel to review. On the pros: the lobby is exquisite, the breakfast buffet (which is complimentary if you are an Amex member) is off the charts, food at the pool delicious, and the service of the staff is best in class. On the cons: the rooms were originally designed well but they are so run down. I'm trying to figure out if it's because they put us in the tower or if all rooms are approximately the same. The tables are literally scratched up and worn down, and the desk looks like something you might pick up on the street at a garage sale it's so old. And paint and tiles in the bathroom look like they VERY much need renewal. And the carpets look so worn down - vacuuming is certainly insufficient to make them look good again. Outside, the landscaping is serene and beautiful - the inside courtyard is a special place to get away from the hustle of South Beach. The pools are small but lovely and maintained at 3 separate temperatures - 75, 85, and 95. We were not given the right information when we booked - I was told by the front desk that all pools would be accessible to the kids and then when we arrived, only the warm pool was made available to them. And then all that said, I have never seen kinder staff in my life. So, as I said: a very mixed bag. In general a very good experience, but truthfully would not have expected the rundown room at this VERY premium pricing.

Room Tip: Better layouts in the tower for families, but I think the lower building is newer.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed for a week. Had requested an ocean front junior suite thru my virtuoso travel agent. We arrived late in the evening and the first surprise was the bathtub in the bedroom at the foot of the bed, under the windows. I must be the only guest surprised by this since I have not seen it mentioned in any review. For me, I like my bathtub in the bathroom, call me traditional.
Because we were hungry, and it was already late to go out, we decided to go downstairs and have dinner in the restaurant. This turned out to be a mistake, we were the only ones there, but even though it was empty we were given a small table in a corner. After asking to be reseated we were given a 'booth' with pillows, etc., a much better choice to begin with.
The meal was not average, it was just poor in every possible way. We ate what we could and went to bed.
When I opened the shades the next morning I was looking forward to a nice view of the ocean, etc., well instead I could see a parking lot, trees, and if I stood on the window sill I could see a sliver of beach.
I called and requested to speak with the manager. He was very nice, unfortunately he could not move us to another room because they were full. He did comp us the dinner, sent us nice wine, a cheese and fruit plate, etc., to 'sweeten' our experience.
So moral of the story, I would not stay there again, but if I was running a hotel I would steal their manager.
On the positive side, nice pool(s), and some nice drinks by the pool.
Staying at the Ritz Carlton this year. Read my review of this property if interested.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, maybe u can see the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Setai for an extended period this last month and it deserves it's five star standing. The setting is stunning and serene, and the staff from the moment we arrived was the most attentive of any resort at which we have stayed. The beach and pool areas are private and comfortable with the most wonderful lounges set up personally for you each morning along with ice water, cool towels and water spray. Great food, albeit a bit pricey, and a short walk from Limcoln Road where you have a myriad of other choices. The hotel has a wonderful location for the art museum, symphony and ballet so there is a great mix of city vibe and perfect relaxation.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor in the tower for a wonderful view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great situation , brand new , at least looks new . The rooms are nice ang big for miami.
3 different swimming pools , one each to the other but quiet all of them and very comfortable.
Nice breakfeast and very gently service.
For me , one of the best hotels in miami.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ive stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and it never fails to deliver. The service is attentive, the rooms even down to the basic studio are a decent size with a luxurious bathroom. The spa provide a varied menu and the food fantastic. A sophisticated escape from the madness of Miami

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Satai for an extended period while in town for business. The decor and atmosphere is very serene and tranquil. The staff was professional and helpful. The rooms are well appointed, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The shower is awesome. The pool area consists of 3 separate pools (all different temperature) with a large amount of of lounge areas available. The beach is right there and the private area for the hotel is excellent with plenty of lounge chairs and an attentive staff. The gym is small but sufficient and very clean and although I never used it, the spa facility looked nice with a professional looking staff.
The breakfast buffet is expensive but there are plenty of choices. The only thing I didn't like were the pancakes and french toast which is not made fresh and sitting out on a platter. The breakfast buffet gets very busy during the weekend so I would suggest getting there as early as possible. The complementary newspapers at the buffet are also a nice touch.
The only negative thing that stands out was the turndown service which sometimes showed up as late as 11 PM when I was consistently already settled in for the night and I sent them away more times than not (like I said I was there for work). You would think they would have figured it out and done my room earlier. The housekeeping, room service and maintenance staff were all very good.
Overall it was an excellent stay and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Setai is the classiest hotel in Miami - zen styling, quality materials throughout and a relaxing pool area - a great place to get away from the madness of the rest of Miami. We stayed in an entry-level room in the Art Deco part of the hotel, and whilst we didn't have a view to write home about I did particularly like the granite style bathtub incorporated into the banquette - a nice touch. For more, check out neilsonparc's hotel lust list.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Setai? Share your experiences!