“Uh, not ever again!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Plaza Miami Beach North

You added Howard Johnson Plaza Miami Beach North to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Plaza Miami Beach North
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   8701 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33154 (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Dezerland Beach & Spa)   |
Ranked #168 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Shelbyville, Indiana
“Uh, not ever again!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We flew into Miami from Orlando and missed our flight by 7 minutes. No other flights were available so we were re-booked for the next morning at 7:15 a.m. We were given a "distressed rate" for the Howard Johnsons of $82.00 and sent on our way. We went down to wait for the HJ shuttle bus at 8:00 p.m. NOTHING!!! All other competitors went by several times but nothing for Howard Johnsons. So we called to find out when they were expected. My husband was told around 9:45 p.m. This was at 8:00 p.m. After 30 minutes, I called and asked again not believing that they only had 1 shuttle for airport pickup. I was told that the shuttle was on its way for a mall pickup and would not return to the airport until around 9:30 p.m. I asked if there were any hotels close by that we could ride on their shuttle and walk (WE HAD NO LUGGAGE AT THIS POINT). I was put on hold for about 5 minutes and told that we could take any Ramada shuttle. Finally at around 9:00 p.m. a Ramada shuttle arrived but we found out that it was the wrong one and had to wait until the next one came. It did not, so the advisement of ANY Ramada shuttle was wrong as well. Finally, at 9:50 p.m. the HJ shuttle shows up. There are several of us waiting. The driver gets out of the shuttle and goes to the back to put the luggage in. What luggage???? We yelled at him and said NO LUGGAGE. He did not let us in the shuttle until he was back in the seat. We waited for this shuttle for almost 2 hours! We drive 20 minutes to this HJ....nice from the outside, but it was not at least impressive on the inside. Not sure of the clientele but there were a few "questionable" ones walking about the halls by the gift shop / elevator area. We finally get our room and ask the desk clerk to give us a 4:45 a.m. wake up call for the shuttle. NOPE...no shuttle until 6:00 a.m. We would have to take a taxi, he advised, and that would be around $28.00 to the airport. My husband and I were in disbelief and did not trust the wake-up call so we set our cell alarms just in case. The halls were dirty, the room had dirt marks on the walls and the carpeting looked old and dirty as well. I didn't want to sleep in those beds, but we were so tired, we did anyway. No choice. At 4:45 a.m. we did get the wake-up call along with our cell alarms. However, we called down to the desk and asked for the cab about 10 minutes before we got down to the lobby. Later, we found out that we were charged a $1.00 for courtesy service. We suspect that it for calling us the cab The cab driver got there about 10 minutes after that. We received with tip a $40.50 cab fare. It was 15% tip. The cab driver said nothing to us except were we going to American and we laughed and said yes. We could do the fare transaction from the back seat but he cancelled it and did it from his seat. It came up "TIP" so we felt we were forced to leave the tip because he was "watching" the transaction. GEEZ!!!! Don't know what that was for but will find out. . OVERALL, we would NEVER stay at this HJ on our own or if we get stuck at the airport....we will sleep at the airport.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015

I came to Miami for the Battlefrog Race that was at a nearby park. Otherwise I would never stay in Hialeah. No one speaks english in Haileah.
Anyway, the hotel is super run down. The gym is 3 pieces of equipment, not even enough to work out with. The business center is not free and by no means is it cheap. The pool was dirty and had a chair in it. The hot tub was not hot. The bartender left me sitting for 10 minutes before serving me a drink, It was only me and another gentlemen in the bar. He called her over and she looked at him, then ignored him. She was talking to some of her friends at a nearby table. The rooms were okay, but they only stocked me decaf coffee. errr
The shuttle did work and that saved me $30 so I am happy about that.
Last thing, the location sucks. The nearby mall is crap for shopping, the only part is the applebees bar inside. It's a pretty good place for a drink and a game. If you want to get to South Beach, it is about an hours worth of travel by public transportation.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

I booked this hotel as it was a fair price and a good location.
After parking and going to our room we noticed the hotel wasnt exactly up to date. It seemed ok, with a fridge in the room.
There was a few dints in the walls, the door lock was tired and the bathroom was clearly very old.
This is the first time Ive been to a hotel where there was a clump of crusty clotted blood on my bed. I saw it in time before jumping on. A replacement blanket was sent up with a rather large grumpy looking security man.
I dont think we'll be stopping by again this year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2015

I have state at this particular HoJo on two occasions. It was refreshing to see the second time around that the hotel had done a renovation/redecoration. The first time I was there the creepy people statues used to scare the poop out of me!!

My only down side is the breakfast. It is pretty good, just a bit more excitement would be better :)

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2015

It's not your 5 star all inclusive hotel or resort, but the great staff made you feel like it. Didn't have any issues. We drove to Miami and walked into the hotel. They gave us the best room available at the best rate. Waived the daily fees and also gave a free night! If you don't mind a little roughness, this hotel is perfect!

Room Tip: Tip everyone!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2015 via mobile

The hotel has a great view of the ocean, if your room is on the correct side of the hotel. The towel service is good, and they offer tours too.
What really pissed me off though was that housekeeping staff stole some of our things, and knocked over several of our things while cleaning the room without caring to put them back. We complained and talked to a reassuring employee but in the end nothing happened (we were promised they would contact us). Would stay here again if I could bolt all my things to the floor/wall.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2014 via mobile

Great value hotel only around $100 a night and you really get what you pay for reasonable bed fairly large room the air conditioner worked well but sounded like a Mack truck bathroom hasn't been updated since the 1970's great view from the room of North Miami beach no verandah saline all a good value beach hotel to enjoy the city

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Miami Beach North? Share your experiences!