“No Nirvana Here!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Plaza Miami Beach North

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Plaza Miami Beach North to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Plaza Miami Beach North
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   8701 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33154 (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Dezerland Beach & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #166 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
NYC
“No Nirvana Here!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just spent (4) nights at this Hotel, I can certainly say if anything else was available at any reasonable price I would not have stayed at this property. This place hasn't changed in 10 years except to say that the SPA is closed. The old SPA was OK and they had some decent treatments. My hotel room bare, spartan and dull, except to say the bathrooms seemed a bit updated. The stay was basically a crash pad but I spent most of my time at different hotels and beaches. The parking cost $ 12 per day and an additional $ 11 resort fee.The breakfast again was bare bone with nothing is made to order just a blah buffet . Not the worst but much to be desired for a vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view, these are always great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

833 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel was awful!! Don't stay here!!

We paid $217 for a king room which we were told was not available when we went to check in so we were put in a room with 2 double beds...not the worst thing that could happen and I could have dealt with that if the rooms were decent but they were disgusting

This is probably the worst hotel I've stayed in, we stayed in several off the highway hotels on the way driving down to Florida and none of them were nearly this bad or this rundown. Had it not been 9pm when we checked into the hotel we probably would have left to find somewhere else to stay

The rooms and hallways are all tiled so all night long we were hearing people above and around us walking around...to top that off the cleaning staff started rolling carts around the hallway at what felt like 7 in the morning...not really the way you want to be woken up when you're on vacation

The bathroom fixtures are ancient and the water doesn't stay a consistent temperature so even taking a shower in the morning was awful

This whole place needs an overhaul desperately....especially when you're asking $200+ for rooms

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights, based on a recommendation from colleagues, as it was close to another place we needed to visit. The location is both the best and worst thing about this hotel. It is next to a large beach park and there are paths along the beach that go for miles either way. The beach is right in front of the hotel also, and our partial ocean view room had a terrific view. But it is an 11 block walk to restaurants or shops, since it's surrounded by large condo buildings. On our stay, the first morning, there was lots of noise from the cleaning staff outside our room (#631) - perhaps they all get together on Sunday mornings to chat. On the second day we didn't get bath towels, so we asked someone for some, and he said they were out, so gave us several small towels, which was OK, but they really should have enough bath towels. I had a fairly good cheeseburger at the restaurant on a Saturday night, but there were only 2 other tables full and they didn't take credit cards there. The pool wasn't heated and the jacuzzi wasn't warm, so we didn't use either one. A soda machine and drinking fountain were out of order during our whole stay, indicating a lot of deferred maintenance. The front desk was friendly, but a sign in the room says they would provide small things you've forgotten, but they didn't have razors. Overall, if you just want to hang out at the beach and walk along the beach, this is a fine choice, but it isn't in the middle of the action, if that's what you seek.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the beach side of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bridgend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I must admit I was really worried prior to arrival after reading all the bad reviews after booking this hotel. The hotel was ok, a nice location on the beach, we booked the oceanfront room which kind of made up for the negatives of this hotel! yes it was tired looking and could of been cleaner but we were hardly in the room anyway! The free breakfast was ony for two people so had to pay for other two people, we only did this on the first day as the breakfast was very poor. We found the staff really helpful and did not encounter any problem with the staff as previous guests, check-in was fine - they even thew in free parking as we were stayin for 2 weeks after we said we were parking in the parking metered lot across the road, i had to call maintenance to my room as i had dropped my sunglasses from my balcony and they were very prompt and helpful havin to get ladders out to get them. The bar staff were also very friendly! The pool area was clean (pool very cold I didn't go in) and jacuzzi also too cold for me! The only problem we encountered whilst stayin there was that we had ants in room but after speaking to front desk, maintenance dealt with this pretty quickly, was probably our fault for leaving a pizza box on floor!

The hotel itself was a little far from the action and I would say you need a car to stay here, for this reason only I would not stay here again and would book somewhere further down north beach!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This property is definitely aging. The bathrooms are antique..but not in a good way. You will be disappointed if you use this place for anything but a one-night stay before you get on a cruise ship. Unfortunately, we made the mistake of going to the poolside bar for breakfast. Good food & coffee, but the rusted out welds on the chairs ruined our vacation. One broke on the chair I was sitting in and I cracked my head really hard on the marble tile. Since we were about to take the transport to our ship, we did not go to the ER...but probably should have. The staff, especially the concierge, was good. Comfortable van for $$ to the Miami Cruise Port. Hotel is right by what looked like an adequate surfing beach with small waves. Looks like this hotel was possibly a hot spot years ago with 50s rock n' roll theme. The restaurant has very little to offer but the booths made of old cars is "campy". The sign outside was partially burned out so it was hard for our taxi driver to find it. We circled the block 3 times because it is on a one-way street. We were the only Americans we saw during our stay here. I spoke mostly Spanish to the staff and concierge. They were much more friendly once they recognized that I spoke Spanish.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am a 20 year old employee of Wyndham and I went to Miami as a mini vacation, I love the site I work at so I figured any hotel of Wyndham is great. NO. That hotel is terrible. Hairs on my bed, didn't look like the floor was swept behind the bed in weeks, front desk staff was rude and unhelpful, had to ask for new shower curtain as soon as I walked in the door because of its odor, the water kept changing between freezing and scorching hot which got me slightly burned (like a sunburn). The shower looked terrible with molding cracking and a terrible paint job. It really needs an update. The t.v. was at least 10 years old, and I had to call twice to get someone to answer. Also, they said breakfast was included, however, when I went they said I had to pay...they just really have false advertising with most of the whole hotel. Honestly, I am ashamed to be in the same company as that hotel. It is disgusting and I would rather pay more money for better service than go cheap. Never again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
DORAL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I think the manger says nothing when you carry the bags. we think you are interested in offering tourist plans in Miami Beach. I do not explain anything about the room amenities and hotel. They should pay more attention to those receiving manager and lifeguards caring beaches that do not talk to the customer. On the cruise we make to the Bahamas greeted us and gave us detailed information. Nobody told us that we did not have breakfast included and could not charge our account sinio that had to be paid in cash. Clara will be back. Un niño brinco hasta la madrugada por dos dias.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Miami Beach North? Share your experiences!