“Interesting hotel/restaurant/club hybrid but a bit noisy” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1745 James Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #82 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia
“Interesting hotel/restaurant/club hybrid but a bit noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Really interesting hotel, restaurant and club space. Rooms were comfortable and modern yet furniture and fixtures looked to be from Ikea. Cool rooftop deck. Staff were very friendly and immensely helpful for arranging travel plans, etc. Free breakfast was limited but decent enough. Good location and tucked away from the hustle and bustle -- however, the night club is on the roof and very noisy until at least midnight. We had to wake up early for our flight and this was not ideal. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear WxmanMD, I apologize for the minor challenge you encountered with regards to the noise. We appreciate all feedback and recommendations so we can continue to improve our guest's experiences. We are delighted to hear that despite the challenge you encountered your overall stay was great. Please contact me directly at aaguilera@meninhotels.com on your next visit to Miami Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I haven't had the pleasure of staying at this hotel, however was invited to a party at their rooftop bar last night. It has a great view of the South Beach skyline, with a wading pool (2ft 10in max), plenty of secluded bench seating, a dance floor area and two bar areas. The rooftop is split into two sides with the elevator in the middle. It made last night's party great, because despite having a lot of people in a small space, the two areas made it seem less crowded.

The staff were amazing, extremely friendly, professional and helpful. They were on top of everything, making sure the area stayed clean the entire night. Only moments after setting down an empty glass someone would come by to pick it up.

I don't know their pricing, however from a guest's point of view, it is a great option for private parties.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I just checked in to room 214 on January 19. While the overall furnishings appear to use high end furniture, Sanctuary skipped out on the important details. The bathroom shower and toilet look like they haven't been replaced while the hotel tried to renovate the rooms with modern furniture. The toilet is the old school round toilet seats rather than the extended new toilet seats that you would expect to come along with the decor of the overall room. The shower tiles were broken and left there with the possibility of guests hurting themselves on it. The microwave in the kitchenette was not cleaned before my checkin. It still had remnants of someone else's food in there. While there was a Keurig coffee machine and a few coffee capsules, there were no spoons or coffee stirrers. There was no complimentary tea either.

Internet was not working. After speaking to Tatiana who was nice enough to reboot the routers, I was able to connect but with speed worse than dial-up. Ultimately gave up.

Sanctuary was originally a motel before renovations; unfortunately my overall impression is that they still kept the feeling of a cheaper motel with lack of attention to details.

I have photos showing all of the above observations.

• Stayed January 2013
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

We were in Miami for a volleyball tournament at the convention center...so perfect location just a few blocks away! Rooms were very clean, I requested a quiet room and was placed on the quiet side of the building. Bed was quite comfortable, plenty of room for our queen air mattress that slept a couple of players. Zen garden in the foyer with bamboo trees and trickling water was beautiful and peaceful. We needed extra pillows and sheets which we were given quickly. Continental breakfast was a nice start to the day. We also ate at OLA...the restaurant that flanks both sides of the entry---had a fabulous time with great food, drink and friends! Used valet parking ($30) and all was good. Loved it and will be back!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. We are thrilled you decided to choose the Sanctuary and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! Your review will be shared with the entire Sanctuary team. Please contact me at aaguilera@meninhotels.com on your next visit so we can coordinate another great stay at the Sanctuary.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is clearly an award winning restaurant that happens to have a hotel attached to it. The "lobby" was a tiny counter in the corner of the restaurant. The woman at the desk said she didn't have my reservations because I made it online and they were having problems with their website. The rooms were spacious but really dark and my mother in law had to change rooms 2 times due to a broken toilet and dripping ceiling. I didn't get the impression that anyone was in charge just a young group of people scrambling around when you needed something.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Carrie W., We apologize if the room that you stayed in did not live up to your standards. Thank you for providing us with feedback so we can address any situations to the best of our ability. Please email me directly at aaguilera@meninhotels.com so we can coordinate another stay at your convenience and win you back.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I recently stayed at this beautiful small charming hotel on James Avenue,in SOBE and I LOVED, LOVED IT!
This simple Zen design hotel is in an historic Art Deco building. White, clean, bright and spacious rooms was exactly what I was looking for. I loved the cobalt blue tiles in the bathroom and the rain shower was awesome. Surrounded by beautiful tall green bamboo and palm trees,gave an exotic feeling. The green hue cast from the lush foliage reflected into the rooms and gave a calming feeling.
While the roof top pool is not really for doing laps, it was perfect for me and other guest that I spoke too.
Rectangle shaped and framed with beautiful deep purple colored Bougainville plants, gigantic palm trees and clean white furniture made it a sanctuary. Coupled with clear blue skies,brilliant sunshine and the super quite atmosphere made it perfect for relaxing or having a few drinks.
The bed linens were crisp, white and clean. Gave a very luxurious feeling. Thank you to the ever smiling house keeping staff who kept everything perfect for me.
The most important aspect of my stay was and will be the attitude of the staff. Upon arrival Maria was extremely welcoming towards me. This continued with Juan, Juan Luis (sorry I may have gotten his name incorrectly) and Leonardo Le Bron. Le Bron will go out of his way and pamper you. Always smiling, he will make sure that you have water, towels, personalizes the music for you and try to communicate to you in your language if its not English. Really exceptional.
Mr.Aguilera, the GM was very accommodating and helped me a great deal by making sure I was enjoying my stay. I never felt rushed occupying his valuable time while he assisted me and others.
I liked all the differences this little gem has to offer including the secondary reception desk being shared with the extraordinary Ola restaurant. (Best Ceviche Ever)!
If you are looking for that big hotel chain, or a party atmosphere then this place is certainly not for you. If you want something that is small, quite and unique, then enjoy.
I cannot wait to return and have a blast!
Hope my review was helpful to you in the making of your decision.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Augusto A, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Gina,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the atmosphere that the Sanctuary South Beach provides. We strive to provide the upmost service for our guests, and it is always great to hear when our staff is recognized. Thank you for mentioning our team members Maria and Mr. Aguilera. Ola Restaurant is one of the top rated restaurants in Miami Beach, and are known for their ceviches, and Im glad you had the opportunity to dine there. We are looking forward to your next visit.
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

LOCATION = Perfect for the Social Girl/Guy coming to SoBe to kick up heels. Definitely an adult hotel.
Located @ 16/17th& Collins -- 1 block from Delano (new FDR Club), SLS Hotel (new Hyde Beach club), The Gale (the Sanctuary's brand newly refurbished sister hotel, which is very nice & chic), Lincoln Road (shopping -- new H&M), The Convention Center. BEACH 2 BLOCKS AWAY.

STAFF: Maria, Tatayana and Richard, all super friendly and went the extra mile. I arrived 7:30am to check-in & although room wasn't ready (it was Art Basel weekend -- the busiest weekend in SoBe), it was ready by 11:30am (check in is at 3:00pm). I was not charged extra to check-in, which was a nice gesture -- one that will keep me coming back to stay at this hotel.

CHECK-IN (Comments by other TripAdvisor reviewers). Yes, the check-in desk is located in the restaurant area, but its only a few steps away from the entrance. Restaurant is only open and busy after 7:00pm-Midnight, otherwise the lobby area (and hotel) is pindrop quiet.

ROOMS: My room #214 was quiet and I was home when restaurant was open & the patio doors kept the noise out (which isn't anything but people dining & chatting). Room had a balcony - YAH!! (nothing special, but just 2 chairs). Room was clean, hot water. Nice bedding -- whites and browns are the decor (like the Starwood brand hotels - Westin, etc.), and layout of room was fabulous. Microwave, sink and couch & side chair & 2 bar stools (easily could have party for 6-8 people). Resembles an apartment-style layout. The bedroom is separate from the living area. Refrigerator (mine worked perfectly - kept all my food cold).

BUGS: Never saw one. Never felt as if I would see one either b/c my room was very clean. Yes, the hotel has an older foundation, and so is all the rest of SoBe. They could use some paint, but the modern decor makes up in this department.

PRICE: During regular season (not Art Basel, not Music Festival, not Boat show weekends), I would only pay no more than $150 a night (including tax) for this hotel, simply because there are no aneminities (no pool, no gym). You are simply paying for location. But as for anemenities, you can use their sister hotel's gym & pool -- The newly remodeled Shelbourne -- only 2 blocks away & this hotel is FAB! Bling bling chandeliers, people, the works!

RESTAURANT: Didn't eat here so cannot comment. Menu looked interesting, but I ran outta time and had my list of preferred restaurants already in order.

OVERALL: I am happy, and I got what I paid for. I would stay here again. I expected the worst (based on some Tripadvisor Reviews) and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting bells & whistles. I wanted modern and clean, and this is what I got. Yes, the Delano, the Mondrian, and Lowes, etc., are flashier & more expensive hotels with all bells & whistles, but they also cost 2 x's as much. I feel I got the similar decor -- and yes, there were less anemnities, but I didn't have a problem walking 2 measly blocks to access the "bling" of the Shelbourne (which from the $$ I saved staying @ the Sanctuary I was able to use to buy dinner/drinks @ the Shelbourne LOL!).

Room Tip: Stay on 2nd Floor -- restaurant is on first floor & after 7:00pm gets lively.