“The Seafood Place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A Fish Called Avalon

A Fish Called Avalon
700 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139-6220 (Flamingo / Lummus)
305-532-1727
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
A Fish Called Avalon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 871 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic, International
Good for: Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Cross street: 7th
Description: Overlooking Ocean Drive from the veranda of the Avalon Hotel is the 25 year old, acclaimed restaurant, A fish Called Avalon. Cuisine features local seafood prepared with a sensuous, tropical flair. An extensive wine reserve and full service bar naturally compliment our great food.
Helsinki, Finland
“The Seafood Place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I spent some days in Miami Beach in early Jan 2014. One night I looked after a good seafood place and ended into this place. - I was there few minutes before the place was opened and wondered how empty the place was. Still the doors were open. Anyway, I made a table reservation and got a nice corner table right after the restaurant officially opened. - Again, I was wondering that how in earth this place can have such a reputation and at the same there were not more than 2 persons in addition to me.

However, within few minutes the restaurant got full. Practically each and every table was full. So, the place is popular.

I had excellent starter, crabcake, which would had been enough, but I fell into a trap ordering Norwegian salmon for the main course. That was not a good decision, since one should never order non-local fish in any fish restaurant. The salmon was just below the average. I am sure that if I had ordered any local fish, that would had been excellent.

The service was excellent and the wine pairing proposed by the waiter was perfect. And to add something more; the wine was served in right temperature.

Overall, this is a great fish restaurant as long as you stick into local raw material.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chef_Kal, Executive Chef at A Fish Called Avalon, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am grateful for your comments about the wine knowledge your waiter displayed, and your appreciation of its being served at the correct temperature. Because you are from Finland, you didn’t find Norwegian salmon that exciting in Miami Beach, and for this I apologize. Ours arrives daily by air, but when you come again, as I hope you will, please try our stone crabs. They’re the best in the world.

Chef Kal

“great food & service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

we had a great dinner here...all fresh seafood, amazing tomato salad and margaritas with fresh lime juice (NOT the kind with two bottles of beer turned upside down into them you see up and down the strip!). great people watching and very friendly waitstaff.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking time to write about the things you loved about your drinks and dinner at A Fish Called Avalon. It was our pleasure to have you with us, and we hope to see you again.
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“Worth every penny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Excellent food and service. Calm and quiet atmosphere. Everything was great from the cocktails to the dessert.

Visited February 2014
Chef_Kal, Executive Chef at A Fish Called Avalon, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments. I’m glad you enjoyed everything and appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Service in the Epitome of South Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We were extremely lucky to get a reservation on the same day (on a weekend) via our hotel concierge. When we arrived, we chose to sit outside on the verandah overlooking the busy sidewalk. Safely far enough back from the unpredictable street and still in the CENTRE of it all. Brilliant! Our server, Andrew, took the time to ensure everything was perfect and was attentitively close by for special requests. I highly recommend the seafood platter to share as an appetiser. It includes a split lobster tail (two halfs), plenty of muscles, enough oysters to generously share, and a centre piece of jumbo shrimp with all the garnish and sauces needed.... Good enough to take a picture of. This is a must if you are looking for fresh and well prepared seafood.... well worth it! We chose different items from the menu... both meals were great.

This would *NOT* be an inexpensive evening for a date or night out, but if you're going to do it right, it may as well be here. The sights and sounds of the street combined with the excellent service and 5 star food will make it special and memorable. bring your camera for pics of food presentation and also of the famous Avalon Art Deco Building during your "smoke break"

• Visited February 2014
Dear Guest,

Your enthusiastic comments about everything from our ultra-fresh seafood to our glamorous Art Deco building put smiles on the faces of our whole team. Thank you for letting us know that each and every element of your evening was exceptional. We are both grateful and humbled by your praise, and thank you for taking the time to write.
Isle of Man
“Good food and Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is a great restaurant with a good but not large menu selection (always a good sign in my book; if there is too much on the menu the chefs can't make it all surely?). As you'd expect it specialises in fish although there are meat options (in very small writing, hidden on the menu:)). The portions are huge by European standards, although by US standards about average I think. We shared a starter of Asian Style Calamari which is fantastic, spicy and to be honest a meal itself. I followed this up with the Seafood Risotto, which is stunning with a huge amount of shellfish. I didn't sample the wines but the list looked comprehensive although expensive. Why does Californian wine cost so much in the US?

Its not the cheapest to be fair but I suppose given the potion sizes good value and of course pretty standard for the pleasure of eating on Ocean Drive, and you are in the middle of the hustle and bustle, with some great atmosphere.

In a (sea)shell, go and try it, I'm sure you'll love it, and if you sit up in the terrace you'll be able to people watch properly.

• Visited January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and your spot-on comment about our terrace being a terrific place to people-watch on Ocean Drive. We look forward to welcoming you again.