“Top knotch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Fish Called Avalon

A Fish Called Avalon
700 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139-6220 (Flamingo / Lummus)
305-532-1727
Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 810 restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic, International
Good for: Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Cross street: 7th
Description: Overlooking Ocean Drive from the veranda of the Avalon Hotel is the 25 year old, acclaimed restaurant, A fish Called Avalon. Cuisine features local seafood prepared with a sensuous, tropical flair. An extensive wine reserve and full service bar naturally compliment our great food.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Top knotch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

While in Miami's South Beach we stopped at "A Fish called Avalon" why ... White table cloths, no one attempting to try to speak English trying to buy you by offering 25% off meals or free drinks (which you never seem to get or able to taste any alcohol when you do) anyhow, back to Avalon ... with professionally dressed waiters in shirt and tie. Our waiter Sheldon, very good service. I asked for a glass of medium white house wine and for the first time in 5 weeks of eating out, through Europe, was asked Chardonnay or Sauvignon ... Nice glass of Sauvignon, decanted at the table, and I thought this was the best wine I had tasted in weeks, I found out later why, New Zealand wine (I,m from NZ).

Dedicated water boy, glass was never empty and plates cleared super fast, something that I have noticed has slipped since the gratuity is now included into the bill along with the tax. I prefer the old way where you tip for the service yourself.

Now the food ... Warm toasted bread, butter balls (very silver service) and a spicy hummus dip. I ordered the shrimp, this was delivered quickly in a blue light lit ice glass, decent large prawns (not shrimps) and a very tasty dipping sauce. The main seafood risotto to die for, plenty of seafood three or four types of fish, muscles and clams, prawns, squid and octopus very nice.

The menu had a good selection of hot and cold seafood, salads, vegetarian and a couple of non-seafood dishes too. All up go here one night when in town. I can see now why they are in the top of the 716 restaurants in Miami. I left extra tip as I thought I had a great meal with excellent service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

88% Recommend
rapid city ,sd
“Thanks for the octopus!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We were here on our honeymoon and decided to have our anniversary dinner here. This was a really good choice. We started out with ordering the beef carpaccio, but our waiter simply said..no..we were slightly taken aback by this, but when we asked why he told us that we were on the beach and the octopus is excellent. So we tried it. WOW. It was like a piece of Kobe beef. It was tender and succulent. I was always freaked out to eat tentacles, but u have to try it!
The other items we had were equally delicious (snapper and sea bass) But the octopus stole the show.
There is also many seating options, the street, the patio, and on the inside. Sit outside so u can enjoy the bustling ocean drive of fabulous south beach.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Pretentious Highend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Maybe my expectations were raised by restaurants in Manhattan but $40 entrees deserve to be better and more flavorful. Here flavor was substituted by portion. 2 out of the 4 entrees were ordinary while 1 (the Halibut) was overcooked. The grilled seabass and the grilled octopus were however very well prepared dishes. The chocolate lava cake was good but nothing I would remember 3 months from now. Another thing that was surprising was the small wine list - just a high-end restaurant surely deserves to have more than 15 bottles of white wine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lutherville, MD
“On the tourist strip in South Beach but with very good seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Guests can sit outside and see and be seen or dine inside in air conditioned comfort. Either way, the food is much better than you would expect at a tourist restaurant. The Calimari appitizer was nicely prepared, my paella was plentiful and chock full of great seafood. My wife's seabass was the best she has ever had. The wait service was very good.

The dishes were appropriately priced for the location and quality.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fontenay-aux-Roses, France
“Great food, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were looking for good food on Ocean Drive, trying to both enjoy the life on Ocean Drive and a good diner. The place we perfect to do so. It is not cheap, but the food is very good (seafood...) and the patio is perfectly located. The service was very niceand very helpful to accomodate the needs of our younger child

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere