“Highly impressed - superb surprise on Ocean Drive!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Fish Called Avalon

A Fish Called Avalon
700 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139-6220 (Flamingo / Lummus)
305-532-1727
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
A Fish Called Avalon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 829 restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic, International
Good for: Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Cross street: 7th
Description: Overlooking Ocean Drive from the veranda of the Avalon Hotel is the 25 year old, acclaimed restaurant, A fish Called Avalon. Cuisine features local seafood prepared with a sensuous, tropical flair. An extensive wine reserve and full service bar naturally compliment our great food.
New York City, New York
“Highly impressed - superb surprise on Ocean Drive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

When my husband suggested dinner at a restaurant on Ocean Drive, I groaned. Ugh - all the people coming up to you and trying to get you to dine at their restaurant on overpriced stale pasta! But this place was a huge surprise and truly excellent. We live in NYC and travel all over the world eating at great restaurants all the time but this place still impressed us. It was the best octopus my husband and I had ever eaten. Tender and mouth wateringly good. Even if you don't generally like octopus, try theirs. The waiter told us that the chef buys only octopus from Portugal as it is always the best. I had the shrimp appetizer which was also excellent. I had grouper with a macadamia nut crust - moist and perfectly cooked - and my husband had the orzo paella - huge portion and delicious. Our waiter was beyond delightful - funny and perfectly attentive. He recommended just the right wine and he brought us a complementary dessert of an ice cream/creme brulee which was so delicious. The chef at this restaurant was so impressive. I never expected to find a place like this on Ocean Drive! It's on the southern end of the Ocean Drive strip of restaurants and it's the only spot that doesn't have people trying to draw you inside with promises of 2 for 1 drinks. Nor does it serve the bucket sized drinks topped with two upside down coronas. This is a truly quality spot. Highly recommend it. Don't miss the excellent gelato spot for post-dessert dessert just a bit further south down Ocean Drive!

• Visited March 2013

88% Recommend
Belize City, Belize
“Best creme brulee ever!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went particularly for the creme brulee and were not disappointed. The creme brulee was excellent albeit the unconventional presentation.

We made reservations, and I would definitely recommend making reservations. We were seated on the porch at the end, which gives you view of street scene; Ocean Drive and 7th St.

The service in general was great, the main course took a bit long however our server did indicate that there would be a bit of a wait. Our server (Christopher) was excellent; pleasant and attentive.

Overall the food was very good, I was a bit disappointed that my fillet mignon was a bit overdone; I had requested medium. My husband enjoyed his mahi-mahi and crab cakes. It goes with out saying that we will back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newport, Rhode Island
“Great service !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I had the best sea bass I have ever eaten at the Avalon ...... And the service was friendly and fantastic ..... Everyone I came across from the hostess to the bartender and servers were so nice and pleasant ...... Even the director of sales Jolie came over to say hello which was very nice ..... I highly recommend eating at a fish called Avalon

Montreal, Canada
“Best Surf 'n Turf you will ever have!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My fiance and I booked our reservation through OpenTable and our seat selection was assigned on time when we arrived. Great terrace with live music on Ocean Drive, what better location to ask for? We wanted to make our 1 night in South Beach deliciously memorable. Everyone needs to try the grilled octopus - to die for! Even my fiance (who does not eat seafood) loved every bite. My main dish was the surf n surf, which was highly recommended by our waiter (who happened to be top notch on the service level). By far the best I've ever tasted! Filet Mignon was cooked perfectly (medium rare, as I asked) and lobster was poached to perfection. Although pricey, gratuity is included on the bill. We will definitely be back, by far a great experience and perfect for an appreciative palette!

• Visited February 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very good fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We really enjoyed this place. We went early (7:30) and we were seated on the porch - which is where you want to be. Our waiter was very attentive. The food was very good and prepared well. We were not rushed and ordered our starters and then after having them ordered dinner.

Visited March 2013