“Good choice for seafood on South Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A Fish Called Avalon

A Fish Called Avalon
700 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139-6220 (Flamingo / Lummus)
305-532-1727
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
A Fish Called Avalon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 871 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic, International
Good for: Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Cross street: 7th
Description: Overlooking Ocean Drive from the veranda of the Avalon Hotel is the 25 year old, acclaimed restaurant, A fish Called Avalon. Cuisine features local seafood prepared with a sensuous, tropical flair. An extensive wine reserve and full service bar naturally compliment our great food.
OC, California
“Good choice for seafood on South Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We ate here on a wednesday night on the recommendation of the hotel concierge. We ended up there early and got a seat outdoors right along the sidewalk. As always, the South Beach street scene is a spectacle to itself, but I digress.

My appetite was realtively modest so I had the ceasar salad and the seared ahi. Not particuarly experimental, but everything was done very well. We also had a fine Malbec (cuvelier los Andes '08) which served us very well. My dinner partners also seemed very happy with their selections. Wish I could offer more insight on the cuisine, but if you are looking for fish, this is a good choice on South Beach.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Memorable Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Excellent food, service, presentation and ambience. An evening out together in South Beach turned out to be more memorable than expected. This menu has a good range of food and the waiter was insightful and thoughtful in guiding selection. Good wine list too. Outdoor seating provided a great view of the passing walkers without invading our personal space. We recommend highly.

Burlington, Vermont
“A very disappointing meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our hotel's concierge recommended this restaurant. Our meal started well with a complimentary plate of garlicky hummus. The drinks were well done. I had the Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer which was flavorful, but not great--except by comparison to the main dish. I ordered the special of the day--a pistachio crusted pompano with mushroom risotto and vegetables.

I generally appreciate large servings and this plate certainly qualified. The vegetables were good quality and nicely steamed, Unfortunately, the rest of the meal was not worth eating. The pompano was covered with what looked like a crumbled up granola bar. The indistinct sauce did nothing for the fish. The risotto was so salty that I could barely eat it.

My wife had lobster tails (South African). Edible, but rubbery.

At the end of the meal, my largely untouched plate was scooped up without comment. Perhaps returning full plates of food to the kitchen is not an unusual occurrence. I am usually a member of the clean plate club, so this was a painful event for me.

As a first time visitor to South Beach, I was shocked by the cost of food and lodging. Perhaps regular visitors accept it . When I left Miami, I flew to NYC from where I had a much better seafood meal at an Upper West Side bistro for 30% less money. And no, I am not a New Yorker and do not go there for bargains.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“All the ingredients are here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This restaurant is the best we've tried so far in Miami. It's a more refined oasis on the busy Ocean Drive strip. The best tables are outside on the veranda so be sure to make a reservation. The atmosphere is lively, local music just loud enough and a good buzz from the staff. Our waiter (a tall Australian chap) was really pleasant and attentive as was the guy who topped up our water. I mention him because he took the trouble to very carefully pour mine as I didn't want ice. Tiny detail but he was very thoughtful.
Now to the all important food and wine. I chose the heirloom tomato and goats cheese salad. The flavours were fresh and sharp. My only quibble was that i would have preferred the goats cheese 'unbreaded'. My husband had the scallops which were sweet and juicy with just the right level of caramelisation. For mains i had the seared tuna. It was perfectly cooked! The rice nice and sticky and the pickled veg and sauces complimented it perfectly. Hubby had the seabass and while he didn't rave about it, he thought it was a good, solid dish. As ever in Miami, portion sizes are large enough to feed a small country but even so we had a pudding. This is normally unheard of for us but we went with the waiter's recommendation to share the creme brulee. It was fabulous, creamy with a good crust and, unusually, served in a tuile basket. The fruit sauces were sharp and tangy to offset the richness. And finally, the wine. We had a bottle of Albarinho which is a favourite of ours and not seen often on wine lists - at 45 dollars it was a bargain.
So 4 restaurants down and 3 to go on our holiday. We have a spare slot on Sunday and I'm very tempted to go back to A Fish Called Avalon.

Eastern PA
“Don't miss it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been to this restaurant twice now on two separate trips to Miami Beach. The food is outstanding and the atmosphere is great too. It stands out on the atmosphere side because they don't pack the sidewalk with tables. There is a bit of breathing room from the endless line of people strolling by. There was a good band, beautiful South Beach weather and delicious food. This trip my service was a bit poor. We sat for quite a while before the waiter came and also waited with empty glasses a few times for another drink. The first time I went this was not the case. That being said, I love this restaurant and will go back. Don't miss it.