“I would come back here in a heartbeat if someone else were footing the bill” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Joe's Stone Crab

Improve this listing
Ranked #50 of 833 restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Description: A landmark known for stone crabs, fine food and outstanding service. Started in 1913 and still owned and operated by the same family. Joe's provides the freshest stone crabs, seafood and more. Joe's Take Away is a smaller version of our original restaurant, which features all the specialities, plus amazing salads, sandwiches, specials and an early morning breakfast.
Miami
“I would come back here in a heartbeat if someone else were footing the bill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Really 3.5 stars (Alaskan King Crab gets 5 stars - the rest not so much)

I have been living in Miami for five years now, and for five years I've been waiting to eat at Joe's Stone Crab. So I think it's fitting that I use this as my 200th review. There has always been a reason why I didn't go - either that we didn't want to be surprised by a tremendous bill or we didn't feel like waiting three hours to be seated somewhere. But thankfully, I talked my boss into taking us here for our office's Christmas lunch this year.

Firstly, the wait was not bad at all for lunch. We arrived at 11:45 and were seated by 12:00. The host even told us this was a normal wait, as long as you arrive somewhere between 11:30 and 12:00. After 12:00 and the wait can get substantially longer.

Before I get into any negatives, I want to say that the Alaskan King Crab is worth every penny of the $50 those three enormous legs cost. The meat was sweet, tender and pulled so easily away from the shell. I will absolutely be coming back here, even if just to the take-away, to get those crab legs. I did not try the stone crab simply because I didn't think eating cold crab would be worth it. Maybe I'm being too picky - but I like my seafood hot. I think I made a great decision, I saw my co-worker's meals and think I definitely had the better entree.

We tried the hash browns with onion ($9.25) and the lobster mac 'n cheese ($15.95). The hash browns were just potatoes. Nothing special, nothing I'd order again. The lobster mac 'n cheese was pretty tasty and had large pieces of lobster in it.

The desserts were good, the key lime pie certainly the star. The chocolate mousse cake and the apple pie a la mode were also very good. The presentation on the chocolate mousse cake was amazing.

The biggest let down of the entire experience was the service. The hosts were amazingly friendly and inviting, but our server, Joe, was just bitter the entire time. I think it may be because one of my co-workers tried a joke that he's probably heard a million times "Your name is Joe? Are you the owner?" But seriously, he treated us with such attitude the rest of the meal, that it was hard to believe we were in such an upscale establishment. I'm hoping this was just an off day for them, as I see in other reviews that the service is very good. We just unfortunately did not get to experience this.

I would come back here in a heartbeat if someone else were footing the bill. But if it's on my money, I'd think a little about it. The poor service and average side items just didn't make up for the wonderfully sweet crab meat. I'd rather just pay for the crab and make my own sides at home using Joe's Take-out.

Visited August 2012

80% Recommend
  • Polish first
Hoover, Alabama
“great food, great service. Arrive before 6:00 p.m. if you have a large party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great Food, Great Service. Arrive before 6:00 p.m. if you have a large party, otherwise plan to enjoy the bar and great atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Good....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stone crab claws are very good....but I hve to say NOT the best I've tried.......
I like the fact that they have the take out area where you can just get your food and grab a table.....very convenient, instead of the reservation and waiting at the restaurant...plus the tip!!!! - great way to avoid it all-
Overall a good restaurant... I like it!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
The Hague, The Netherlands
“You have to be here ate least once.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Every day, fully packed.
You cannot make reservations,
You have to wait for 1 or 2 or 2 .5 hours.

So in short why go there?
aha got your attention now.
It's one of the oldest reastaurents of Miami, ofcourse some renovating has been done over the years, it' just a fun place to be.
Waiting at the bar, drink yourself into heaven with your G and T, have a chat with the other folks that are waiting and watch the crowd.
Finally your name will be called. What was it, did I call myself Donald Duck, Jeniffer A, Brit Pad or whatever...

Get seated and eat al the stonecrab you can imagine. What a night, perfect!

Visited October 2012
Sarasota, Florida
“Joe's is always excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Quality food and excellent service. Pricey, but worth it. I last visited Joe's 35 years ago, and it was the best then, although much cheaper. Tempus Fugit.

Visited January 2013