“Just the best” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #56 of 871 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Description: A landmark known for stone crabs, fine food and outstanding service. Started in 1913 and still owned and operated by the same family. Joe's provides the freshest stone crabs, seafood and more. Joe's Take Away is a smaller version of our original restaurant, which features all the specialities, plus amazing salads, sandwiches, specials and an early morning breakfast.
“Just the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

You bring patience and $$$$. They bring stone crabs. You win!
There are other places you can go to in South Florida to try stone crabs but not one is seriously mentioned in the same breath as Joes.

• Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
“You will be amazed at how quick they turn over a table.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Upon hearing a co-worker order about 5 boxes of Joe's Stone Crab Legs, I just had to try them while I was on vacation in South Beach. I will not lie, I booked my hotel based on the walking distance to the restaurant.

To start the building is huge. The restaurant takes up a whole block and they have valet parking. The inside waiting area has a bar as well as a fountain to take pictures with or of. The staff was very friendly, and they have a server who will provide you with a drink while you wait for your table. Are waiter was excellent. He was quick to comply with request. I asked about flavors of hot tea, and he brought over a wooden case of teas for me to look through. We ordered the following items: Fried Calamari, Medium Stone Crabs, 1/2 Barbecue Chicken, and the signature Key Lime Pie. The Calamari was excellent. It came out quick and for me was steamy hot. My boyfriend thinks another restaurant still has the best, but I beg to differ. The Calamari was only served with the flats. If you like the legs you maybe a little disappointed. I prefer the flats, but they may provide the legs if you ask. The barbecue chicken was okay. It is a seafood place so I really was not expecting the chicken to be 5 stars. Now the big one. THOSE STONE CRAB LEGS! I have to say do not waste the servers time on pouring you butter to use as your dipping sauce. The mustard dipping sauce goes with them. They are served cold and pre-cracked. I am not a stone crab person so I am assuming any place that carries stone crabs will serve them cold. At first glance I am sitting here thinking maybe we should have ordered two medium plates to have eight crab legs a piece instead of four. The medium order of crab legs with the 1/2 chicken worked out just fine for my boyfriend and I to split. The signature homemade Key Lime Pie is super rich. I would recommend splitting the pie.

Like anything else where there are Pros there are Cons (We are all human). If you are stomach growling hungry I would not recommend this restaurant. We waited an Hour and 15 minutes for a table for two. From the looks of everyone else waiting, the bigger your party the quicker you will receive a table. A party of 8 came in after us and the received a table in 15 minutes. If you are claustrophobic I would skip this restaurant or go at a later time. You are elbow to elbow with people while you are waiting. The tables are close so you are ducking your head from a server's tray or bumping backs with the person behind you. I thought this was pretty impressive but rude at the same time. They turned over a table in a minute and twelve seconds. This included changing the table cloth and setting the table. How so quick? They have workers scouting tables. As soon as you sign the check and lay the pen on the table, someone is resetting the table. One table did not have time to slide their chair from the table before four workers showed up to reset the table. I cannot say that I would make this a stop if I come back to South Beach, but it was good to try something different.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Joe's Stone Crab ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Everything we ordered was superb. Service awesome. Yes, it's pricey but worth it. Large portions made it a great value. Highly recommend it. Valet parking is helpful.

st simons island, ga
“A not to be missed Miami experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were there the night before Thanksgiving. Thinking there might be lots of families, we arrived about 730. They so not take reservations. We were told one to 1 1/2 hours. It was just shy of 1 hour.

The 500 seat restaurant was jammed. Part of the scene for me is watching the waiters and bus boys. They really hussle. The walk around at nearly a trot with heavy trays of dishes held aloft. It is something to see. I watched them clear a table of 13 and reset it in under 2 minutes.

We split a salad ( menu notes that's my dishes are big wnough to share), hash browns (omg. So so good). We each had 5 of the big stone crabs and split a key lime pie. $150 roughly.

Know that - unlike other Joe locations - this one is only open when stone crabs are in seAson ( roughly October to may). They arrive at your tAble perfectly cracked for easy eating. I did see awonw eating fries chicken and it looked great too.

This is truly a classic Miami experience. Go if you can afford it. Very casual or very fancy. Great for big groups or a twosome. Excellent service with waiters well trained in tuxes.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Delray Beach, Florida, USA
“Go just to say you went”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

If you have heard about this place since you were little, try it. However, you should be prepared to wait for a good while and expect expedited service.

Granted, we came on a very busy evening, but the service was unengaged and sloppy. The good was good, but your money may be better spent elsewhere if you are looking for a fine dining experience.

Joes is good enough to try but not good enough to try again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere