“Crabs aren't the only awesome dish.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 862 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Description: A landmark known for stone crabs, fine food and outstanding service. Started in 1913 and still owned and operated by the same family. Joe's provides the freshest stone crabs, seafood and more. Joe's Take Away is a smaller version of our original restaurant, which features all the specialities, plus amazing salads, sandwiches, specials and an early morning breakfast.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Crabs aren't the only awesome dish.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Outstanding food and great atmosphere. While they are known for their stone crabs, their hash browns and fried green tomatoes are outstanding as well. Suggest you start with the chopped salad which is awesome.

• Polish first
“Live in miami, had never been, and will never go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I expected a long wait and huge crowds, so that didn't bother us. What really bothers me is that they call my name for a table so I lose my spot at the bar only to stand in line for 15 minutes (just leave me at the bar until our table is ready!) On top of that it's like you are sitting in a cafeteria - loud crowded, ppl always zipping by. The "experience" everyone talks about is subpar already.

Cue the waitress. Might as well have been a monkey wearing a tuxedo. No intro, didnt know anything about the menu, or seafood at all for that matter, checked on us maybe once, water glasses were empty for ten minutes at a time. A complete joke. The bus boys had more personality and we literally told them that and thanked them.

We ordered surf & turf, select stone claws, chopped salad, and sauteed mushrooms. I've had beef jerky that was more tender than joe's medium rare filet. The lobster was tough, not succulent. The mushrooms were cold. Salad was ok, but I don't give too much credit for not screwing up a salad. The stone crabs were good but not better than anywhere else that I would go to get stone crab for a third/half the price.

We expected the bill to have gratuity included after the way we were treated. After 4 drinks and all that food, our total money wasted on an over-hyped, over-priced, and under-delivered "experience" was $250 not including tip. We gave them $20 which was for the barkeep and busboys and wrote that on the check. I doubt management will read it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“A must go to restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Where do I start??? Beautiful setting, amazing staff that wait on you hand and foot without being in your face. You must order the famous Stone Crab Claws, fried green tomatoes and the chowder. Portions are huge so great way to share. We went for lunch as we had heard they do not take reservations and are really busy and long wait at night. A one hundred year old, family owned restaurant only open in the fall and winter. 5 stars

• Visited November 2012
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
“Lives up to the hype!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wife and I stopped in for lunch knowing it was pricey and also very popular! We had lunch at the bar! Marina was so sweet and the food was amazing! We both had the large stone crab lunch special priced at $39.99. It consisted of a huge platter of 3 stone claws (served with the most amazing mustard sauce of my life!) creamed spinach, hashbrowns (best ever) coleslaw and a slice of key lime pie! It all was so amazing right down to the delicious bread basket! The key lime pie changed my life! Thank you to Marina and to Joes for a great experience!

• Visited November 2012
Sydney
“Seafood lover's paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Joe's does not take reservations, but the Maitre d' suggested we wait at the bar for a table (30-60 minutes estimated). Well, the bar was packed, no seats, and we were starving, so we left and went next door to Joe's take-out place.
We ordered crab and lobster and couple of glasses of wine. The take-out part has a sort of food court area with a small outdoor area.
The seafood was excellent, we got to chatting with people on the next table - in all, I think we had a better time at the take-out place than we would have had in the restaurant.

Visited November 2012