“Very good restaurant on Espanola Way” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #311 of 871 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Middletown, New York
“Very good restaurant on Espanola Way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Me and my husband decided to eat here since I love Italian cuisine. The menu is large, but I went with the special which on that day was Chilean sea bass. My husband had a Margarita pizza. The waiter was friendly, and kept us supplied with bread. Our meals took awhile to come out so he also gave us a sample of the pork which was very good. The meals were very good. I ordered the cannoli dessert, I didn't like it. It tasted so minty. I've had cannoli in Italy and none tasted like that. Over all the food was pretty good. Just remember that this restaurant like all the others in the area include an 18% service charge, even if its just 2 of you.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

England
“Excellent food but don't trust the waiters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Eight of us picked this restaurant. It is, as others point out, boisterous and has character. the waiters all join in singing and it makes you feel pretty special. I had the filet mignon, it was exceptional, my friends all said how good their meals were too, a mix of fish and steaks. I would have rated it excellent other than the waiter when he brought the cheque had an extra main course on there and frankly it was the most we had paid for a meal by a long way.

My friends had already paid and as I was the last to leave the waiter came back to me saying we were $10 short. I couldn't check so gave him a $10 bill. As I walked away he then came then back to me with two $5 bills saying it was in fact correct and apologised. I insisted on my $10 bill which he pulled his face at but eventually gave me.

We had a great night but the unnecessary nonsense settling the bill left a bad taste, if you'll pardon the pun!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Decatur, Alabama
“Typical tourist restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This restaurant bills itself as the place "where Italians eat Italian," but seemed like a typical tourist place, which is not surprising, given its location on the Española Way pedestrian street, amid the scores of other tourist traps; but surely anyone looking for a meal in that part of South Beach is aware that most of the restaurants are overpriced & not especially distinctive. If you are still ok with eating this type of meal, then Hosteria Romana is perfectly adequate.

Like every restaurant in the area, the sidewalk hostesses start calling to you from the sidewalk as soon as they can make eye contact, even if you are strolling by on the far side of the street. The staff really do seem to be Italian, lending some authenticity to a sidewalk cafe that feels a lot like Mulberry Street in NYC's Little Italy. The service was friendly and attentive, although the beret-wearing waitstaff were obligated to halt their activities every few minutes to clap and sing to the ambient Muzak, "La Tarentella" or something similar. But our waiter was helpful & available, and we had no complaints about the service.

The menu was enormous, with dozens of dishes. It featured every Italian-American dish I have ever heard of, including pasta courses that ran $22-30 and meat & fish courses up to $45. None of these prices are particularly high for the area, but nevertheless this seemed like an ordinary meal at splurge prices. The food was fine, but nothing was especially memorable. A gratuity of around 17% was included in our bill, for my party of two people.

If you are ok with dining at a typical tourist restaurant in a touristy part of town, then this place will probably meet your expectations.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Helsinki
“The Best on Espanola Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My wife and I visited first time Miami South Beach area. Espanola Way is heavily marketed as one of the must places to visit. We visited most of the restaurants on that road and we fell in love with Hosteria Romana. It was the only restaurant where we got real service and personnel was all the time actively taking care of us in a nice manner. Prices are a little bit high but you get good quality, nice atmosphere and service. Background music is also good, not the same "disco-noice" that every other place is full.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gothenburg, Sweden
“genuine food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had a lunch at this nice establishment. The service as well as the food was perfect! Nice sidewalk sitting with a good view of the lovely scenery of Espanola Way.

Visited January 2013