“CIGAR SMOKE ALLOWED!” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Hollywood Beach, Florida
“CIGAR SMOKE ALLOWED!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The Van Dyke is an institution on South Beach. Unfortunately, THEY ALLOW CIGAR SMOKING. nothing can be more DISGUSTING while you are trying to eat than to have cigar smoke blown in your face. The food is good, the prices are reasonable and the setting makes for great people-watching. The service is fair to poor; every time we go we have to constantly look for the waiter to keep our water glasses filled, etc. Yesterday our server poured our bottle of wine in 4 glasses without moving around the table, so he spilled wine outside of every single glass, making a mess of the table and causing each glass to drip when you picked it up to drink. Then he walked away without cleaning up, so we had to wait for him to re-emerge from inside to call him over and have him provide paper napkins to clean our glasses.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Danbury, Connecticut
“Van Dyke Cafe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

If you are looking for a good place to people watch on Lincoln Road, the Van Dyke Cafe is as good as any. But, if you are looking for good food to go with the view, you will not find it here. While the service was adequate, the food was very much sub-standard. I do not recommend the dining.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
PA
“Mediocre at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were in Miami for the day and were told to walk along Lincoln Road and have lunch. There are many restaurants all having people standing outside trying to solicit your business. That alone is a major turnoff but we there and decided to make the best of it and have lunch at Van Dykes. Throughout the entire lunch the waitress was very nice. The food however left a lot to be desired. I ordered a philly cheese steak, my wife ordered a pastrami sandwich. My steak was OK, however they had no sauce to put on the steak. As a kid I worked in a steak shop and I live near Philadelphia. I can personally tell you that 90+ percent of the people who order a philly steak sandwich from a decent restaurant will order it with a tomato based sauce on it or at a minimum the restaurant will have a sauce to put on it, but not here. There were fries with my sandwich and they were very good. My wife's sandwich came out and she took one bite and I could see by the look on her face it wasn't good. She asked me to try it and I told her the meat tasted sour to me and she confirmed the same thought. As I mentioned the waitress was very nice and she took my wife's sandwich back and asked my wife what she would like instead of the sandwich. She ordered a pasta dish which again was mediocre at best. We also had two of their mango martinis, which were $10 each and they had very little alcohol in them. To be totally fair the restaurant did not charge us for either of my wife's meals. Needless to say I would never go there again nor would I recommend Van Dykes to anyone.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good food, reasonable prices & typically SoBe poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Visited on a Thursday evening. Sat outside with pleasant music until 10pm provided by a girl with a karaoke machine. Overall, food was OK but portions were large and prices were reasonable. Chicken Parm sandwich was kind of bland. Chicken Panini was better. Greek salad was OK. Service was adequate at best. Waiter was not very helpful with the menu and would disappear for long periods of time. Jazz quartet playing upstairs sounded very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Good food for reasonable prices in miami beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Good food and atmospere lincoln road better places to dine and have a drink. A nd where no sdfitional srrvice chsrge is put on your bill you can decide what you tip. Although they give on the bill pre calculated options .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere