“Made Me Cry :(” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tap Tap

Tap Tap
819 5th St, Miami Beach, FL 33139-6511 (Flamingo / Lummus)
(305) 672-2898
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Disney World, Florida
“Made Me Cry :(”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I learned about Tap Tap on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives many months ago. I was in Miami last month and didn't have time to get here. However, this time while on business in Miami I made it a priority to visit Tap Tap and I'm glad I did.

First - I have to agree with Gee009 (the previous poster) that this is a great introduction to Haitian Cuisine for those not familiar to it. Although, I'm not from Haitian decedents - I do consider myself half Haitian as I was married to a Haitian, my children are half-Haitian. As a child growing up in NYC every caribbean island was represented. ALL were friends and family members of mine....eventually. So, Haitian food/Caribbean food is not new to me. However, being here at Tap Tap made me miss my Mom (my Mother-in-Law.)

There is no parking at Tap Tap. I didn't see the sign for parking. I parked two blocks away in the Pulbix parking garage at Lenox Ave and 5th Ave. A very short and quick walk to Tap Tap and under 2 hours the parking is free.

Service started off slow. My son and I visited on Friday at 4 p.m. with only 2 people at the bar area. 2 waitresses were behind the bar as we waited about 5 minutes before we were greeted and seated. The ladies were chatting and rummaging through their handbags.

Lydia was our waitress and she was very friendly and knowledgeable. We ordered:
-Lanbi Kreyol (stewed conch)
-Mayi Moulen Ak Sos Pwa (cornmeal with black bean sauce on the side)
-Limeade
-Rice and beans
-Kremas (coconut dessert beverage)

The food was served fairly quickly like within 10 minutes of being seated. The food was fresh and delicious. The rice and beans were my favorite and full of flavor like Mom used to make. The Mayi Moulen was full of flavor and cooked lovely. The sos pwa on the side I didn't like. It had too much clove flavoring and was too thin and very little beans. The lanbi served with rice and beans and one bennan peze (fried green plantain). The lanbi was very tender and I could eat this daily. I added some of the hot picked spice on the table as the lanbi was well seasoned but I needed a bit of heat to it. The only issue I had with this dish is the ONE bennan peze on the side. This needed at least 4 for this dish or am I being greedy. :)

The kremas is an alcoholic beverage, which I drank when I got home. I normally do not drink alcoholic beverages, not even wine, but I wanted to try the kremas. It was VERY strong and put me to sleep almost straight away. This is definitely an adult drink and not the kremas I've drank growing up.

We ordered items to go which was packed nicely and Lydia asked my opinion of the food and drinks. I gave my honest opinion, which is presented here. The food is delicious and I'll definitely return when in the Miami vicinity. The ambiance invokes an emotion that makes you feel as if your Tate (Aunty), Grun (grandmother) or Mom is in the back cooking. This is what happened to me as my Mom (Mother-in-law) passed 4 years ago and everything I ate took me back to her kitchen with some variances of course. This would have been a place she'd love and proud to see a Haitian restaurant on Miami Beach. Then she would of told them how to do it better. LOL :)

Overall, Tap Tap is a great introduction to Haitian cuisine with brilliant artwork, great prices and I recommend all go when in Miami.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
new orleans
“Good Intro to Haitian Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My first experience with a Haitian restaurant. I have never been to Haiti.That being said, I have eaten my way through many Caribbean islands and I found the experience here very authentic for island cuisine in general. The mojito was the best I have ever had. Sadly I own restaurants and make a good one....but couldn't touch this. It was magic. Maybe voodoo. The goat stew reminded me of Rosey's in Bonaire. It was very good. The conch stew was delicious but the conch salad was not very good. A vegetable curry like stew of carrots, cabbage and other shrubs was awesome.

Service was indifferent and slow. If you are in South Beach, looking for a colorful, tasty and fun place for island cuisine don't pass this one up.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Food was both unique and good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Tap Tap is right around the corner from the main drag of South Beach. It has a great ambience, and the food was terrific. We had the conch shell and the beef, which was phenomenal. Food was relatively reasonable. A unique Miami dining experience, and definitely the best meal we ate there.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great introduction to Haitian cuisine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

For anyone who wants an introduction to Haitian cuisine, Tap Tap Restaurant in Miami is the place to go. Full disclaimer, my parents are Haitian, I was born in the USA and I will be in the boat (no pun intended) with other Haitians who will say, I’ve had better Haitian food; specifically in my mama’s kitchen. I’m sure others Haitians will argue that there are better restaurants in the Miami area that serve better food. To those people, please read my review and understand, I said INTRODUCTION to Haitian cuisine and I’m also basing my review on Tap Tap’s ambiance, food presentation, service, prices, and location; within walking distance to the beach.

Tap Tap is a great restaurant for anyone who has never had Haitian food. Tap Tap merges American sit down dinner service with Haitian cuisine. Tap Tap differs from the traditional Haitian restaurants in the Little Haiti section of Miami in that it eliminates the idiosyncrasies involved in ordering food. If one has never ordered from a traditional Haitian restaurant, it is like ordering from the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld; this is no exaggeration. Fellow Haitians will agree, the service at some traditional Haitian restaurant is not the greatest, one will have to know what to order before stepping up to the counter or have to deal with a Soup Nazi, the person taking the order at the counter may or may not speak English, but will expect the patron to speak Creole. The menu at the counter may or may not be in English and the menu may be outdated. With that said, the food at one of these restaurants is to die for delicious, it is seasoned for the Haitian palate and the serving portions are large enough for two. Every time we went to one of these restaurants, we had enough food to two days. What may sound like hole in the wall dysfunctional restaurants are usually family owned and operated establishments run by Haitian immigrants serving those who long for a connection to a land left behind and taste of home cooking.

Tap Tap is the opposite of a traditional Haitian restaurant found in a Haitian populated community. Hold your horses, I know Miami has one of the largest population of Haitians outside of Haiti, but what I am saying is, Tap Tap is in South Beach, one will pay for the ambiance, location and service that comes with the restaurant’s location and the prices. The restaurant is beautifully decorated with Haitian art; I loved the murals. Reggae music was playing; I wished TapTap had Haitian music playing to complete the vibe. We wanted to sit outside to people watch but those seats were taken so we set inside. The seats were not very comfortable but this was not fault of the restaurant because the seats are traditional hand made chairs from Haiti. We sat on the booth style seats. We were a party of three and ate at TapTap on a weekday afternoon so there was no live music but I think they have live bands on weekends. There were a few patrons and the crowd was every diverse. Even though my party of three knew what we wanted to order, we let the waitress give us an explanation of the menu and the how each dish was prepared; service. The restaurant had a few patrons but service after we ordered was slow. While waiting I ran around the corner to my parking space to feed the meter. The restaurant doesn’t have a parking lot. When I returned, our Red Snapper with red rice and beans, Cremas (Haitian cream liquor), chicken with sauce and the fried pork were being brought to our table. The portions were traditional American portions unlike the traditional Haitian restaurant portions that are large enough to feed two. On a scale of 1 -10 the food was a 6 and the Cremas was a 10. Remember my numbers are biased by the fact that I’ve been eating Haitian for for decades and I get Haitian food for free at my mom’s. We ate at Tap Tap’s because we were in Miami on vacation and we wanted to have Haitian food before going to the beach. TapTap was the perfect location to meet our needs.

In the end, Native Haitians who eat at Tap Tap will swear their mother’s or grandmother’s cooking is better. One can’t blame them because they have a point of comparison and have been eating Haitian food for years. Someone who is eating Haitian food for the first time will be blown away by the explosion of spices and flavors.

Tap Tap serves as a great restaurant for an introduction to Haitian food for those who would not want to venture into the other parts of Miami to find other Haitian restaurants.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
vientiene
“Best Haitian food ever -at least, that's my non-Hatian opinion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

....And I've had it in Brooklyn and Port Au Prince.

'Can't vouch for how authentic it is, but it's well-spiced and beautifully presented in a series of big rooms crammed with high quality Haitian Art.

If you are a fan of primitive-style art, it's worth dropping in if only for a drink and a peruse.

'Had the two shrimp dishes. Portions were a tad on the small size, but satisfying. 'Would go again.

It's maybe a 15-20 minute walk outside of the tourist strip so you don't really need a cab.

• Visited October 2012