“Food was both unique and good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tap Tap

Tap Tap
819 5th St, Miami Beach, FL 33139-6511 (Flamingo / Lummus)
(305) 672-2898
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tap Tap is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #138 of 876 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Washington, DC
“Food was both unique and good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Tap Tap is right around the corner from the main drag of South Beach. It has a great ambience, and the food was terrific. We had the conch shell and the beef, which was phenomenal. Food was relatively reasonable. A unique Miami dining experience, and definitely the best meal we ate there.

• Visited July 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great introduction to Haitian cuisine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

For anyone who wants an introduction to Haitian cuisine, Tap Tap Restaurant in Miami is the place to go. Full disclaimer, my parents are Haitian, I was born in the USA and I will be in the boat (no pun intended) with other Haitians who will say, I’ve had better Haitian food; specifically in my mama’s kitchen. I’m sure others Haitians will argue that there are better restaurants in the Miami area that serve better food. To those people, please read my review and understand, I said INTRODUCTION to Haitian cuisine and I’m also basing my review on Tap Tap’s ambiance, food presentation, service, prices, and location; within walking distance to the beach.

Tap Tap is a great restaurant for anyone who has never had Haitian food. Tap Tap merges American sit down dinner service with Haitian cuisine. Tap Tap differs from the traditional Haitian restaurants in the Little Haiti section of Miami in that it eliminates the idiosyncrasies involved in ordering food. If one has never ordered from a traditional Haitian restaurant, it is like ordering from the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld; this is no exaggeration. Fellow Haitians will agree, the service at some traditional Haitian restaurant is not the greatest, one will have to know what to order before stepping up to the counter or have to deal with a Soup Nazi, the person taking the order at the counter may or may not speak English, but will expect the patron to speak Creole. The menu at the counter may or may not be in English and the menu may be outdated. With that said, the food at one of these restaurants is to die for delicious, it is seasoned for the Haitian palate and the serving portions are large enough for two. Every time we went to one of these restaurants, we had enough food to two days. What may sound like hole in the wall dysfunctional restaurants are usually family owned and operated establishments run by Haitian immigrants serving those who long for a connection to a land left behind and taste of home cooking.

Tap Tap is the opposite of a traditional Haitian restaurant found in a Haitian populated community. Hold your horses, I know Miami has one of the largest population of Haitians outside of Haiti, but what I am saying is, Tap Tap is in South Beach, one will pay for the ambiance, location and service that comes with the restaurant’s location and the prices. The restaurant is beautifully decorated with Haitian art; I loved the murals. Reggae music was playing; I wished TapTap had Haitian music playing to complete the vibe. We wanted to sit outside to people watch but those seats were taken so we set inside. The seats were not very comfortable but this was not fault of the restaurant because the seats are traditional hand made chairs from Haiti. We sat on the booth style seats. We were a party of three and ate at TapTap on a weekday afternoon so there was no live music but I think they have live bands on weekends. There were a few patrons and the crowd was every diverse. Even though my party of three knew what we wanted to order, we let the waitress give us an explanation of the menu and the how each dish was prepared; service. The restaurant had a few patrons but service after we ordered was slow. While waiting I ran around the corner to my parking space to feed the meter. The restaurant doesn’t have a parking lot. When I returned, our Red Snapper with red rice and beans, Cremas (Haitian cream liquor), chicken with sauce and the fried pork were being brought to our table. The portions were traditional American portions unlike the traditional Haitian restaurant portions that are large enough to feed two. On a scale of 1 -10 the food was a 6 and the Cremas was a 10. Remember my numbers are biased by the fact that I’ve been eating Haitian for for decades and I get Haitian food for free at my mom’s. We ate at Tap Tap’s because we were in Miami on vacation and we wanted to have Haitian food before going to the beach. TapTap was the perfect location to meet our needs.

In the end, Native Haitians who eat at Tap Tap will swear their mother’s or grandmother’s cooking is better. One can’t blame them because they have a point of comparison and have been eating Haitian food for years. Someone who is eating Haitian food for the first time will be blown away by the explosion of spices and flavors.

Tap Tap serves as a great restaurant for an introduction to Haitian food for those who would not want to venture into the other parts of Miami to find other Haitian restaurants.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
vientiene
“Best Haitian food ever -at least, that's my non-Hatian opinion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

....And I've had it in Brooklyn and Port Au Prince.

'Can't vouch for how authentic it is, but it's well-spiced and beautifully presented in a series of big rooms crammed with high quality Haitian Art.

If you are a fan of primitive-style art, it's worth dropping in if only for a drink and a peruse.

'Had the two shrimp dishes. Portions were a tad on the small size, but satisfying. 'Would go again.

It's maybe a 15-20 minute walk outside of the tourist strip so you don't really need a cab.

• Visited October 2012
Wilmington, North Carolina
“A first class dining experience on South Beach (away from tourist traps)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Unbelievable food, atmosphere, music, service and experience. It feels as if you are actually in the Caribbean! A must visit to add spice to the trip or evening.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great recomendation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This was recommended by the Red Bus guide and we were not disapointed.

Only minutes from Ocean Drive this little restaurant serves fabulous food and mojitos and a great price compared to the Drive.

• Visited May 2013