“MILJEAN HOTEL - A MUST STAY FOR FOR FANS OF DECO DISTRICT” 5 of 5 stars

Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1817 James Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #67 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando, Florida
“MILJEAN HOTEL - A MUST STAY FOR FOR FANS OF DECO DISTRICT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I love the Miami Beach Art Deco District and travel there at least once a year. Each time I visit I try to stay in a different Hotel and stumbled across the Miljean Hotel ( Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel ). I was very familiar with this Hotel having read that an Arson had torched it a while ago but was pleasantly surprised to see how beautiful it now looked at least by the pictures. I booked a 3 night stay here and was not disappointed as it was just as beautiful in person. This Hotel was restored very nicely and what made it even nicer was the staff were very friendly. I liked the area as it is not as noisy as Collins or the Ocean Drive area can be and it's very close to Lincoln Road where they have many fine resturants and shops to enjoy. I also like to bike ride & there were several places nearby you could rent bikes as long as you needed to. Great way to see the city and take in all the sights. Having stayed in at least a dozen other hotels in South Beach I gave this stay two thumbs up and would gladly return at a later date. Ricky Flanagan - Orlando, Florida

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Joao A, General Manager at Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Mr. Flanagan,
Thank you for your fantastic review!
As I had the chance to tell you we feel very proud for the opportunity we had to restore completely these three fantastic Art Deco buildings!
The new Pestana South Beach is now a completely new hotel with all the modern facilities including nicely decorated rooms with free Wi-Fi internet, LED TV’s, I-pod dock stations, coffee facilities and digital safes. We have also added a heated swimming pool and the Mermaid Café & Bistro, serving breakfast every morning and all day drinks, snacks and light meals.
We have also appreciated your kind words concerning out team attitude and great location!
We hope to have the chance to welcome you again in the near future.
João Paulo Araújo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here with my sister in July for my sisters 23rd birthday and we had an absolutely amazing 5 days. We wanted a hotel close to the beach and ocean drive, a pool, nice rooms and affordable and this hotel ticked all of those boxes.

The hotel is in a great location in a quiet street just off of the Main Street which follows down to the beach and ocean drive where all the bars, restaurants and amazing nightlife is. The beach is a 5-10 minute walk away and we got in a cab to ocean drive from the man street which was a 5 minute taxi ride for $5 so for us perfect location! Shopping is also really close by (approx 5-10 minute walk). Overall, close to restaurants and bars but not right in the business of all the clubs/bars.

The hotel itself was nicely decorated and rooms were very clean, modern and comfortable, perfect for our 4 night stay. Our towels were changed daily and all toiletries topped up.

The pool was not massive but perfect just to lay around and sunbath and to cool off in. Pool was clean and sun beds were some of the most comfortable sun beds I've experienced. The restaurant (well I would call it more of a pool side bar) was very nice too. They had a tap with iced water with lemon and lime in which we could help ourselves to all day which was lovely as it was so hot! We ate lunch here most days and the food was nice. We had pizzas and toasted sandwiches and salads mainly and they were very nice. We wouldn't have eaten dinner here though as there are lots of great restaurants in south beach.

The staff were very friendly. the two women at the front desk were really nice and advised us with places to go to eat and also on what bars to go to. The concierge (can't remember his name now!) was so nice and he also advised us on where to go. Towels were given by the pool which was handy too.

Miami was amazing and we will definitely be returning and will definitely stay at this hotel again!! Thank you for a great stay!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a pool view standard double room on the third floor I think it was. Was nice room. Noth...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic and detailed description regarding your recent stay at Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel!
We were thrilled to understand you had a great time with us and had the chance to enjoy all our facilities.
We look forward to welcome you again!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Pestana South Beach hotel over the Labor Day Weekend. I was looking for a hotel near south beach and came acroos the Pestana. They gave us a great rate and once we arrived we knew we had hit a home run. The staff was great and very accomodating. The hote location puts you within walking distance to the beach and all the restruantes on Ocean drive. They have a great pool area and I can't say enough good things about the pool bar staff. They are friendly and welcoming. They went out of their way to make us feel at home and have a great time. This is a great hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your recent stay on Tripadvisor.
We were very glad to hear you ”had hit a home run” at Pestana South Beach Hotel!
Thank you for your great comments regarding our team namely the pool bar staff, we will surely share your comments with them.
We hope to welcome you again very soon.
Esposende
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Nice experience, good breakfast, good, pool, awesome bed, excelent location,

for the first time in Miami, I was not disapointed. They have some sort of agreement with the chairs service on the beach, that gave us huge discounts.

And they speak portuguese!!

Room Tip: If you have a family, ask for a suite. Its huge!!!, 2 rooms,and a living room!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with other travelers your recent experience at Pestana South Beach Hotel.
We were delighted to understand you had the chance to spend some Memorable Moments with us!
Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel is owned and managed by Pestana Hotels & Resorts, a leading Portuguese Hotel chain and that is the reason why most of our team speaks Portuguese: “Esperamos ter a oportunidade de o voltar a receber na sua próxima viagem a Miami!”
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I left my iPhone in the trunk of my car, while I was getting out some bags. Suddenly the bellboy came to help and in two seconds my pone was gone!
Fortunately I could call immediately from another phone I had in the car, and when it started ringing, the bellboy came back with the phone in his hand!
It wasn´t a mistake, he stole it. So sad, that we can’t trust people!.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Joao A, General Manager at Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor.
We regret to read this unfortunate review. This is a very concerning situation for us and I regret that you did not speak with management at the time this occurred, as it is difficult now to evaluate what happened since this occurred during your stay in June.
Nevertheless, even with the time span that has passed we would like to make an internal investigation and kindly ask that you contact me directly at joao.araujo@pestana.com.
I look forward to your response about this situation.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The white paint and fresh look is appealing and makes this hotel look attractive. The rooms are fresh and look clean (a closer look and you will see this is not the case). The pool and seating area are also comfortable and look impressive. The overall, location is great- A few minutes from South Beach! However, the restaurant is disgraceful. The quality of the food is awful and the standard of service was the worst I have expereinced in the whole of America. The two young servers had real attitude and rather than serving they stood around chatting about their weekend, boyfriend experiences and other interesting topics could be heard by passing guests. Then....after 1 hour the food came! Not just a long wait but MOULD growing on the burger bun! It was disgusting. The server just looks and says 'oh sorry, let me change that' and walks off. To serve a burger with green/white mould on it is simply unacceptable. I can't imagine what the standards are like in their kitchen, especially if such a visible problem can be passed out to guests! The restaurant manager came and was helpful but such poor standards cannot be overlooked. I would not eat any food from their kitchen, plenty of places outside with better quality and at a better price! Overall, the hotel looks very good- it is fresh and modern but what lurks beneath the shiny facade........may not be so pleasant!

Room Tip: Paulo the CONCIERGE guy is very helpful. His night time entertainment tips are very helpful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fishers, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Loved our stay at Pestana in SOBE. We were there a group trip for the Justin Timberlake/ Jay-Z Summer Tour. All ages as old as 39 (me) as young as 28 both male and female. Our room was great, plenty of room and great bathroom. Other group had rented a suite which was awesome. 2 balconies that overlooked the pool area. In our room the only thing slightly odd was the ultra modern light switches. If you turned all off at the bed at night, you somehow had to turn all on by the door to get the TV on, but keep the lights off? It was weird. Not a big enough deal to call about.
I would defintiely stay at this property again. The prices were great, beautiful decor, awesome pool and very accomdating staff. I'm not sure what more you could want. Location was a block from all the action in either direction.

My one suggestion is to research parking options more throughtly then we did prior to arrival. They have a garage they recommend, not bad. There were cheaper options but we were kind of in a rush to start our vacation and felt better about the garage.

Highly recommend for couples, friends, solo. etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Joao A, General Manager at Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel, we were delighted to hear you all had the chance to spend a great time with us!
Hope to have the chance to welcome you again on your next visit to Miami.
João Paulo Araújo

Been to Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel? Share your experiences!