“Don't stay here.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Don't stay here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Room was dirty, service was terrible - took 2 hours to get one towel, Internet didn't work, took forever to check in and the front desk was rude. The Internet did not work. The food was decent. Air conditioning ok. No way to call the front desk from the room.

• Stayed May 2013

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

WARNING: THIS REVIEW IS GOING TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST AND KINDA LONG. I haven’t written many reviews on hotels (and trust me I have stayed in plenty), mainly because as the saying goes if you don’t have something nice to say then don’t say anything at all. Plus the fact that most of the time I feel you have to take all trip advisor, yelp-esque review sites with a grain of salt because most of the time people only have negative things to say. Well, I am not one to complain but I feel like something has to be said especially because this is a new hotel and they are still working out the kinks. If anything, I want other guests to know my experiences and hopefully the hotel will be able to improve based on guests like me, who have stayed here in the opening months.

So let’s begin with the Good:
1.) James at the front desk was awesome, he tried his best to help us even though they we completely booked (no rooms available), and I’m sure that has not happened yet, or at least often enough since they just opened in February 2013. When our shower head broke, we stopped by the desk on our way out to the beach and by the time we got back he had someone fix it and it was not a problem. Plus he came to the rescue, when we were checking in (see the ugly below).
2.) The beds are SUPER comfy, granted was I intoxicated and/or exhausted by the time I hit the pillow? Yes!!!
3.) The room was huge, considering other boutique hotels in the area. We stayed in a deluxe, and had a corner room at the end of the hall, and could barely hear anything or anyone in the hallways, let alone outside.
4.) Great Location
5.) Pool is nice, and hotel food is good! I had a burger and fries and the food was way better than the food we got over at the Surfcomber, where our friends were staying.

The Bad:
1.) We wore flip flops around the room after the first night because the floor was FILTHY, sure white tile floors do get dirty, scuffed, but this is a brand new hotel right? It made me wonder if they even cleaned the floor which I’m guessing they did not the entire three days we stayed there.
2.) As soon, as I got in the shower I noticed a couple of strands of hair that were not mine, I’m pretty sure they were from previous guest EWWWWW! So again we basically wore flip flops everywhere in the room.
3.) I usually bring my own shampoos, etc., but noticed they did not throw away the half used body wash that was nicely placed back on the sink in the bathroom. Again, EWWWW!
4.) On one of the days when we got back from the beach they cleaned the room but did not replenish the towels. So we couldn’t take a shower, this wasn’t too bad as we only waited about 20 minutes for them to bring new ones, but in the scheme of things how do you forget the towels?
5.) The next day we had towels, but no wash cloths, and the cleaning crew never emptied our trash, which again didn’t help my theory of a not so bueno/nonexistent cleaning service.

The Ugly:
1.) As other reviewers have written the service is either slow or nonexistent at the front desk. When we arrived Tatiana would barely look up at us. My friend had already arrived earlier and was told our room was not ready, fine because she was early but when I arrived after 5pm and Tatiana said our room was still not ready (check in is at 4:00pm). I logically asked when it would be ready? Instead of answering my question she proceeded to talk to someone who just bombarded the front desk with questions. Instead of saying, please wait I am checking them in at the moment, she proceeded to speak to the other guest. I guess I have to learn Portuguese because apparently with her that’s the only way you will get things done.
2.) Then I asked her about the hotels Price Match guarantee as we had submitted a form when we booked at the hotel as I had found a cheaper rate on another travel site. I should have known as we did not receive any type of confirmation, or e-mail from the hotel after submitting the form. She proceeded to tell me that they had no such service even though it is written plain as day on their website. At that point James jumped in and basically saved us from having to speak to a manager. Especially because we were obviously new guest and not acknowledging and rudely ignoring us to speak to other hotel guests is a no no in hotel service etiquette 101.
3.) Technically Tatiana and James checked us in, but I know my friend handed her card to Tatiana to put a $50 charge for incidentals, well when we checked out we were told she would get the $50 back, but when she checked to see if the charge had been removed she saw a $500.00 PENDING CHARGE!!! Of course when she called the hotel back (literally from the taxi to the airport), no one was answering. It took another 30 minutes to get a hold of someone and be guaranteed that the charges would be removed.

There you have it, there is more, but this basically highlights our stay at The Pestana. Will I stay there again? No. Did I still have a great time with friends in South Beach? Yes! That’s what really matters, and in 20 years I probably won’t even remember the hotels name.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I liked this hotel mainly because it has recently opened and therefore everything was new. The bed, bed linen, towels, robes were all of good quality and clean. The bedrooms are simply fitted out, (for example, the wardrobe just had a curtain and no door) however they are clean and a reasonable size. I thought a seat in the bedroom would have been useful to put clothes on etc.

The parking is in a public park about a 3 or 4 minute walk away and is quite expensive. I'm not sure if there was vaet parking but it was not advertised.

The downside to this hotel was:

1. there is only one lift which is painfully slow. Be prepared to wait a long time for the lift to arrive.
2. the sound proofing between the rooms and the hall is non-existent. You can hear every whisper in the hallway.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the lifts as the sound proofing in the room is non-existent.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

First I will start with the good. Which isn't much. Daniel the doorman (luggage boy) was great! He made us feel very welcome. Everyone who worked at the cafe were great!

So that's it.

Here comes the bad... THE FRONT DESK: horrible, horrible horrible. The girl at the front desk, yeah her. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. If you have a question, she's clueless. How do you work there? She wouldn't greet, look, or even smile at us. Very rude and very nasty.

Calling room service and expecting help is a fail too.

Overall, it is a beautiful hotel. But more of a do it yourself hotel. I honestly wouldn't go back.

• Stayed April 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Good location, poor service, cheap quality of everything throughout the hotel. Service is horrible. Make sure you pack your own clothes iron and blow dryer. Because they dont offer you one, and they only have enough for a limited amount of rooms. Rooms are small which was okay. Plastic glass wear. Small safe, not big enough for a ladies purse. Rude staff. And all though they were recently remodeled the hallways and rooms look very beat up/ dirty because the lack of care of the employees, house keeping, and managers... overall... spend the extra money to stay somewhere else

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel is brand new, with a clean modern decoration, room and bathroom with a nice size, very confortable beds and white floor tiles (perfect for a beach hotel). The free breakfast was good, with few but nice quality itens. The location is great, close to the beach, walking distance to everything, in a silent neighborhood. Wifi works well everywhere. The small buildings have 3 floors with no elevators - what can be a problem if you have heavy luggage and probably no help, considering the hotel lack of employees. I came back to my room at 7pm and it wasn't cleaned yet. I complained with the reception and at 8pm I asked a housekeeper who I met by chance in the corridor to clean my room. She changed the towels and said she would come back in 15 min, what didn't happen (and I just found out when I arrived late at night). Late checkout wasn't possible and I had to wait 40 minutes for someone to pick up my luggage in my room. I would recommend the hotel if they improve the service.

Room Tip: If you have heavy luggage, be aware ther are no elevators.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 days after its opening. They have restored 3 or 4 buildings from the 40´s; pure art-deco style. Very nice! All rooms and common areas are decorated with wall photos from the 40´s/50´s.
My room was a standard room (Art Deco King Bed). Good size room and bathroom. Comfortable bed, iPod dock station, etc. Bathroom materials are not first quality, but are ok. Free wifi in all areas worked perfectly.
The street is residential and silent, but could here noise from the hall and lift.
Location is excellent for those who don´t mind missing an ocean view and want to stay away from busy Ocean Drive. Only 2 blocks from the beach and 4 blocks from Lincoln Road. Good restaurants in the neighborhood.
Breaksfast is included and well served. Swimming pool looked good (bigger than most boutique hotels), but didn´t use it.
No parking lot at site. They say there is payed vallet service, but actually you are the vallet, since you need to drive your car 2 blocks away to the garage building.

Pestana is a good Portuguese hotel chain and this is their first hotel in the US. I am sure they will do their best to provide good service. Staff speaks also Portuguese.

Rate was lower than equivalent options in the area.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel? Share your experiences!