“Stay Away” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   820 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Chicago, Illinois
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Short Version: Absolute horrid service, very rude employees, and very bad amenities for the price - if you can stay at another hostel with provided meals (posh doesn't) then stay there. you will have more fun and save $$.

Well it all started with me calling the Hostel repeatedly because they didn't answer when my flight landed - the shuttle didn't show up in the location that it said online. They finally answered and I was put on hold for over 10 min to then be told that the shuttle was in time and that it would be there again in an hour... it showed up minutes later and I almost missed it by going inside to wait. THEN when we arrived I couldn't find the Posh because it is in an unlabeled building with a side door w/ absolutely no signage. I was then told that the system was down and they had to call in my card for the charges which took about an hour in total (and the guy was extremely rude the entire time while I was trying to be understanding).

it gets better - I was there with my fiance and we are not publicly affectionate AT ALL... we were sitting on my bed one afternoon watching an episode of dexter on my laptop via NetFlix.... they told us that we couldn't be sitting on the same bed together at all at any times and rudely threatened to kick us out of the hostel... wow. I asked one day if breakfast was served on Saturdays and if so what time... I was told by the manager "just like every other day" in the rudest tone ever.

Breakfast? More like cheap bread that you can toast and cream cheese....

Upon checkout I was told that everything would be charged and refunded upon checkout... Well here we are 14 days since my checkout and I haven't gotten my security deposit of $100 back nor have I been charged for the reservation yet.... what kind of business is this?

Room Tip: Stay in a different hostel with provided meals for a better price and you'll have more fun.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh Hostel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Good Evening kyle C,

Thank you so much for your honest and extensive feedback, regarding your recent stay with us! We are extremely sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time here! I apologize for the mislead information regarding our shuttle service. Unfortunately we have had an issue with our system, and are working the best that we can under such circumstances. We offer a light breakfast here at Posh, and it's nothing too fancy. There is a lovely kitchen that you can cook your favorite breakfast meals. There are also many restaurants around the property that serve delicious food. The security deposit is released immediately upon checking out from Posh. If you have not gotten these funds back you will need to contact your bank regarding this. They are the ones that will have to release the funds back onto your account. We are sorry that your stay was less then enjoyable.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Upfront, this was the worst place I stayed in all of the USA after three weeks of travelling. Indeed, there are many positives to the South Beach Hostel - it is clean (although the new building probably makes this easier), breakfast, location, pool, and a pretty trendy looking common room with guest facilities.

But a deeper look into this hostel reveals a more concerning reality that guests should be warned about. Firstly, the hostel layout chiefly consists of two main dormitories with approximately 30 people in each. The reality of this layout means that it is pretty much impossible to have any privacy or enjoy a quiet night sleep at any time (especially if you are catching an early flight). You can essentially hear every movement throughout the dormitory, particularly the opening and closing of the metal lockers located below each bed. Secondly, these approximately 60 guests use the same bathroom facilities (male and female - which may be confronting for some). More importantly, a simple equation soon reveals that there is about 1 toilet/shower for every 15 guests (something that most would consider unacceptable). Moreover, the physical layout of these facilities is poorly constructed in order to maximise space - the doors on most toilets barely close because the cubicles are so small. Finally, the staff. Being from a different country, I have been entirely impressed with the service quality in the USA (in most places, it is outstanding). However, the staff at the Posh South Beach Hostel do not go out of their way to ensure guest comfort. The hostel is difficult to locate - the bottom floor doesn't even exist and there are no signs. I repeatedly saw the manager turn away early guests prior to the check-in time (but not even present an alternative solution such as a recommended tour/visit or offer to secure their bags in the meantime). The check-in is incredibly slow and the staff are rarely friendly - instead constantly reassuring you that the hostel is 'really great... its so very clean'. Unfortunately, service means more than cleanliness.

In the end, the hostel is workable. But just consider the other factors prior to spending any substantial period of time there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh Hostel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hello there USA_TRAVELLER2014,

Thank you for sharing your honest and extensive feedback with us! We are extremely sorry that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! We are indeed a hostel and hostels are normally mixed rooms with many beds in them. I will make sure to inform the General Manager about your comments regarding the bathroom and toilet area. Our front desk agents would never turn guests away, unless they have stayed with us previously and didn't abide by our rules and regulations. Unfortunately we have had issues with our system lately causing it to take a bit longer for our agents to do their work efficiently. We are doing the best that we can to work under such circumstances. Our IT department is doing everything that they can to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We are terribly sorry that your stay with us was less then enjoyable.

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I had nothing but fun and good experiences at this hostel even though, yes, my knees hit the doors in the toilets, the gap between the doors was strange, even though I could make out and some obscured figures through the frosted shower glass (but we're all naked anyway, who cares?) and even though I had to sleep without any real privacy. But people it's a HOSTEL, you have to compromise. The place is very modern, to hotel standards. The beds are comfortable and yes the smaller room with eight or so bunks is the best and more private but the main dorm is just like in any other hostel. It can be noisy down there so *please* for your own sake wear earplugs. I've slept in both areas and either was doable. The AC was by far the most-complained about thing, it was far too cold for us but then when we closed the vents we all overheated. So it's not as easy as just turning it off. The showers were perfectly fine while I was there, never a queue and good enough. Toilets while at first daunting as they are not completely enclosed - I assume for cleaning purposes - were always clean. The staff were fine - including the cleaners - especially George and Yvette on the front desk. Several times I just sad and chatted with them. Compared to other hostels I've stayed in this has been the most organised and comfortable. It is not a party hostel - there is no bar on the premises, but next door (with free drinks from 7-8pm nightly mind you) and the atmosphere is more subdued. You get a basic breakfast with cereal, toast and coffee. It's more about having a safe and clean place to rest than for partying. I would definitely stay again, for the price it was a huge bargain. The one thing I would really, really suggest the management do is look at the charging situation. Everyone was constantly wanting to charge devices but there is no secure way to do this as all the wall outlets are in public places. The best solution I've seen is a chargig port in each bedframe but maybe an easier one would be a free lockable charging tower like you see at airports. The location I won't comment on as it's obviously top-notch.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh Hostel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hello zteu,

We appreciate when guests provide us with their outstanding feedback! We are extremely glad to know that you stay with us was a 5 star one! We offer a great up beat hostel, with money saving amenities in an unbeatable location. There is not much else you can ask for. Our staff work hard to make sure that everyone is having a memorable time, and that the grounds of the hostel are well maintained. We hope that you make us your go-to hostel when visiting South Beach! We hope to see you soon!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hostel was far better than others i visited around the area, the bunk beds are newer and more modern
Was very clean, the average age group was more adequate for a 30 yr old traveller like myself, the other hostel had only students in their 20's

You get laundry machines right inside there, so that's a huge plus, a bit exensive though (2$ to wash and 1.75$ to dry...)

Very close to the beach, laundry machines in the hostel, close to all kinds of retail stores, close to 7-eleven, walking distance to everything!

Things i didn't like:
1-The air conditioner was way too cold, and my blanket that i had was not adequate (granted i did not ask for a different blanket, nor did i ask to put the AC down, yes i could've...)
2-I got my swim shorts stolen inside the common bathroom, some one else got their iPhone charger stolen, did not feel safe
3- I was in a bed which was located right off the stairs to go back upstairs, and the EXIT sign was very bothersome with its bright GREEN lighting
4-Staff always asked us to be quieter at night, however they went around our beds with their walkie-talkie on full volume during the night (yes i could've used the earplugs they provide)
5-Some people that we met got "better" accommodation and got put in a closed room that was quieter, i didn't even know such an option existed, it would've been nice to be offered this room
6-Toilet leg space was the worst thing in this hostel, i'm 6' and it was a struggle every day, although in the other quieter room, there was another toilet which had adequate space, but I only got to know about it on the last day
7-Little hot water while taking a shower (yes i like hot showers, lol)
8-Would've been nice to have water bottles or a water fountain at least, water is essential IMO

Room Tip: Ask for the the "other" rooms, where there is a door that closes and go to the "other...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh Hostel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
HAPPY NEW YEAR iamshazi,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us, and all of our future guests! Our hostel is definitely modern and very updated. Our staff works hard to make sure that the hostel is clean and that everyone is enjoying their time spent with us. We inform guests to keep a good eye on their belongings as we cannot control what our guests are doing at all times. Constructive feedback such as yours allows us to make the necessary changes we need to, in order to keep our guests content and returning.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

When you first arrive, you'll get a nice tour around the hostel. They show you the beds, bathrooms and showers and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. So do that. Ask.

Ask, if you can change your bed to a more private area. Most of the beds are TOTALLY without privacy, not posh at all, they have people walking by all the time, lights coming in (you're not allowed to place towels, linen etc. to make a 'cave' get privacy - the cleaning staff will tear everything down all the time, everyday).

The cleaning staff are incredibly unfriendly - I only meet one that was willing to give me a fresh and new towel without giving me an unfriendly attitude.
Yeah, you get a towel, a very very small one. So if you wanna try out Posh, you should really bring or buy your own towel.

There are two shower sections at Posh. One with room for 3 people. Posh call it 'private showers', but they're not. The are divided by linen and are not complete, so you can easily see other people shower - and the room itself is very small and intense.
After having my first shower in that room, I decided to drop that room and go for the other shower section with 6 showers divided by glass (!) - frosted glass, when it gets wet, you can see the person next to you. Not 100% clearly - but enough to see what the person is doing and if it's a boy or girl. Nothing posh about the shower situation at Posh. At all.

The toilet situation is bad as well. You can either choose a very very very small toilet - or a bigger one with double wing doors that people can look though (if they really want to).

If you shower, going to the toilet, using the hair dryer etc., please be aware that all the sounds goes clearly into the bed areas. So everybody can follow your move. Not posh.

Since I'm in Miami in the holiday season, I can't find a cheaper place for all the days. If I could, I would have moved out asap.

Bring your earplugs, because the level of sound can be high at night.
Beds are not as great memory foam, as Posh describe. The mattresses are very thin.
The private storage (under your bed) is very good and seems safe with the lock.

The hostel itself is nice looking and Posh - but the functionality is bad. Posh used to be two penthouses. It's not suited for 40-50 people, if they want to be posh. It's just not possible,

The kitchen and washing machines are perfect. The pool is very nice. Small, but nice.

Even if it's cheap, I don't think it's worth it.
If you want to check it out anyway, just book 1 night only.. And then see.
I'm 100% not spending my next time in Miami at "Posh".

All best and enjoy your Miami stay

Hello there WhiteWhite22,

Thank you so much for the time you took to provide us with your extensive feedback! I am extremely sorry that your time spent with us was not a positive one! Unfortunately we are a hostel and not a hotel therefore our beds are all in one room. I am sorry that you found our cleaning staff to not be friendly. I will make sure to inform the General Manager about this. We are working on correcting the showers. Though situations like yours are rare, it is something we must always be vigilant about as we continually try to enrich your stay with the best boutique experience in South Beach.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Pros: Great location; comfortable mattresses (a big plus!); upscale facilities including rooftop pool, modern kitchen, coin-op laundry; international community. Nice big storage lockers fit computer, clothes, etc. And the daily free drinks at happy hour is terrific (but don't forget to tip the bartender please).

Cons: Way too small bathroom with only four stalls for everybody ~50 people! What is up with that? Six inches so your knees fit on the commode would also really help! Largest single dorm room I have ever seen -- 30 beds? Try to get into one of the two smaller dorm rooms where it is quieter and much more private. Hot water in shower depends on timing, try not to shower during rush times.

Unfair rules re your nightly charges: the three day cancellation policy is ONLY for BEFORE you arrive. It does not matter how far in advance you cancel nights after three days before your reservation starts, you will be charged for the full reservation. Although I gave a full week's notice that my plans had changed and I would not need all the nights I had reserved, I was charged for my full reservation. And they were full and turning people away daily, so it is not that they couldn't fill the bed.
Worst rules I've ever experienced re cancelling reservations.

Tough to rate because this hostel is both excellent with some poor design and policy issues.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the two smaller dorm rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh Hostel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Hello there choroni03,

We would like to thank you for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We are glad to know that you were content with the location of our property! The rooftop pool is a great spot to hangout and soak up the Florida sun. I will definitely make sure to inform the General Manager about your comment regarding the bathroom. We have a 3 day cancellation policy meaning if you cancel 3 days prior to your reservation you will not be penalized. If you decide to check out early you will be charged for the remainder of your stay, unless it's an emergency.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I cannot recommend this place. First of all the staff is incredibly unfriendly and sluggish. The bathrooms have double wing doors that don't close fully, are open at the top and up to your knees and they are so cramped you cannot sit/stand in them normally. There are three toilets for approx. 28 people. The unisex showers are separated by 95% seethrough glass! The two bigger rooms are for 20 people and they stay open all the time! The first one is adjacent to the upstairs lobby area and therefore noisy.

• Stayed December 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh Hostel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Good Afternoon Linea88,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! I am extremely sorry to read that your stay with us was not amazing! We highly value guest opinions and we will review the items you mentioned with our management staff.

Katrine

Been to Posh Hostel? Share your experiences!