“Best hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort

You added Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort to your Saves list
Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1545 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139‎ (Formerly The James Royal Palm) (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #67 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Best hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

First time I have ever stayed here and the staff is out of this world. They do everything with a genuine smile on their face, help with anything you may want or need, and the rooms are impeccable. If you can get an ocean view, it is spectacular. Treat yourself to food and drinks at the pool, they're to die for. Can not thank the staff enough for making this trip such a wonderful experience and a memory to last a lifetime!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Richard H, Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Wow! Thanks for the generous comments. I’m very happy to hear we were able to deliver a memorable experience during your stay with us. We have made tremendous efforts to create the right experience for our guests and it looks like we were successful here. We look forward to having you with us on your next vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Location, location... Being at the start of Ocean Drive you get the best of both worlds- peace and tranquility, with the excitement a short walk away. The atmosphere and decor is quintessential Miami, The grounds are maintained and decorated beautifully. The front-desk is efficient, well-trained and personable.The mattress is one of the best I've experienced, even better than Westin's Heavenly. The pool staff is excellent as are bartenders and servers. Lunch at Florida Cookery Patio was delicious, Pool is perfect size and temperature and hot tub is Hot! Acoustics in pool area are superb as is music selection. If you are over age of 22 and wish to stay in Sobe, this is your hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Richard H, Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thanks for the great posting. We will certainly share the posting with our team. Lots to celebrate! We can’t wait to have you back again in Miami Beach. See you soon.
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We booked The James Royal Palm almost 3 months before our visit. We visit Miami 3-4 times per year and was looking to try out a new hotel. I am an avid user of Yelp and other review sites. I thought I had done my homework - I saw lots of good reviews and thought I was good to go. Don't let these fool you, like they did me. You are WAY better off booking a nearby hotel (Loews?) at a very comparable rate. My stay was disastrous. This review will make it sound like I am a curmudgeon old man, but I assure you I am not.

Let's cover the bad first:
- The air conditioning broke during our stay and was never properly fixed. The rooms were warmer than outside. Everything was very stuffy and almost unbearable to sleep in. We received no apology and this is the biggest reason for the 1 star rating.
- This one is only partially the hotels fault - I do realize that. During one night of our stay, they allowed 3 rooms to party from 3-5AM and it was incredibly loud. Banging of doors, lots of people hanging out in the hallways. There is absolutely no way anybody slept on our floor during this time. It took 4 calls to the front desk to even get anything done.
- Resort fee is now $25/day, not $21/day as some others have mentioned. This is on top the regular rate. This is for chairs and umbrellas on the beach. You get charged this whether or not you use it
- Breakfast buffet at $30/person + automatic gratuity of 18% is a joke. The buffet was absolutely pathetic. There were no large plates to use and the buffet seriously needed to be restocked. Do yourself a favour and do not eat the breakfast here, nearby hotels have MUCH better breakfasts at the same or at a cheaper rate
- They forgot to clean my room one day and despite asking the Front desk to have my room cleaned that night, it just did not happen
- Keycard needed to be exchanged 4 times during my stay because it stopped working
- WiFi is spotty
- Very poor soundproofing - you can hear everything around you

Good:
- Rooms are very modern looking and have been nicely designed
- Location is great
- The provided toiletries are very nice, they use organic soaps which is cool

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Warm evening breezes caress my feet as I lie on my queenn size lounge chair just feet from the Crystal blue waters..What a wonderful day thanks to Andy and Nathan from the beach team at the James hotel!!
Being S Fla locals of course we hadn't done the whole tourist experience of renting a beach cabana to spend a day like the rich and famous. Nathan made us feel very welcome even though we weren't hotel guests and set us up like royalty in the front row on the beach. The extra money is definitely worth it since you are front row with a huge day bed multiple umbrellas and the best service on the sand thanks to Andy!
Mojitos for the adults and and complementary water and fruit made a perfect day really special for my niece who was visiting from Europe :)

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for joining us at the beach. I’m happy to read that Andy and Nathan were able to take care of you. We will certainly recognize them for their efforts. See you again soon in beautiful Miami Beach.
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

The James is conveniently located on Collins Avenue in South Beach, Miami right next to Lowe's and near the Ritz Carlton and The Delano. The hotel itself is updated art deco. The (beachfront) rooms are not capacious but they are nicely designed and appointed.

I was nursing a stress fracture and the staff could not have been nicer. They helped in every way, including offering to assist me with my belongings to making sure I got a cab when I needed it. I regularly asked the front desk for suggestions about where to dine or go for drinks and they were both down to earth and sensitive to my needs. Same with the concierge.

The property has a small bar off the lobby and a bar-restaurant (Florida Cookery Patio, FCP) off the pool area. Good food, a little pricey but this is SoBe. The hummus platter is an excellent small meal or generous snack. There are a lot of outdoor nooks and crannies where guests can sit, lounge, and recreate. There are ping pong tables, etc. that are used by adult and child guests. While I was there (August) there was a mix of families and couples and singles traveling together and singly. International crowd. Pretty much the same profile as a May visit I took there in past.

Pretty good fitness center for size of hotel. Clean and well appointed.

There are two pools and easy beach access with lounge-side food and beverage service.

The pool and beach staff were incredible. I am a good tipper (and tip on top of the 18% gratuity that is included) but I saw very responsive service across the board.

The only letdown I experienced was the fee for beach umbrellas ($19) which is on top of a $19 daily resort fee. The umbrella concession is run by an outside vender (Boucher) and their staff lacked the attention to detail and customer service orientation that characterizes the staff at The James.

I will be back :-)

Room Tip: Beachfront is best. I think the entire hotel is fairly quiet but no ideas about the rooms that face...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for the detailed posting. I’m happy to read we were able recognize your needs and help you relax while staying with us. Thanks again for the contribution to trip advisor and we look forward to your next visit with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

First time here for us.
We have stayed at The James Chicago a few times and really liked it so we decided to try the James Miami hotel..Wow, we were impressed with Service we received everywhere from the Check-in (LaKesha was amazing in helping us get set up for everything we needed), room service was great and the service at the pool side was the best (Magdalina was fantastic -we wanted to take her home with us) and the bartenders (Robert & John) make your night with their hospitality.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is great
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the mention about Lakeshia, Magdalina, Robert, and John. We will certainly recognize and celebrate their service efforts. Please come back soon.
Saint Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

This is not the type of hotel I usually stay at (I'm a budget traveler), but this was a nice change. The staff were fabulous (Becka and J.R. are the only two names I remember, but everyone was great, friendly, attentive and helpful)! The location is perfect, just north of Ocean Drive on Collins. The regular rooms are small with just a "step out" balcony, but that is typical with renovated Art Deco hotels in SoBe. The beds were some of the most comfortable I have ever slept on!

My main complaint was the constant techno music that they played by the pool. It is loud and never varies from the techno theme. I wouldn't mind the techno music if they would vary it by playing other genres as well, but they don't. While the food was good in the hotel restaurant, the service was rather slow and the portions were very small. I recommend going next door to the Lowes for most meals if you are dining close by. See my review of the the Lowes restaurant.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
I appreciate your review. Thanks for recognizing Rebecca and JR for the service they provided to you. I’m sorry to hear about your experience at the poolside and in our outlets. I will talk to the teams based on your feedback to better our experience. We hope to see you again on your next vacation.