“Excellent recommendation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 200 Hotels in Miami Beach
Basel
“Excellent recommendation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Great place to spend a couple of days. Location is close to almost everything in Miami Beach (shopping, restaurants). The rooms are spacious, bar and restaurant state of the art for that class of hotel. I also liked the service at the hotel beach. Specifically worth to mention is the very competent and friendly staff.

Stayed October 2013
Richard H, Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thanks for the recommendation. It’s great to read that you enjoyed the hotel amenities and service. We look forward to your next trip to Miami Beach. Thanks again and see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed in an ocean front room for a great price of $240 a night. I would not stay here if it cost any more than that. Check in started off promising, with the great aid of Marlon. There was something wrong with my room, so Marlon paced me in a temp room because I had a splitting headache. What great service! Once in my booked room, I had to call down after 40 minutes of waiting for my bag. They couldn't find it! The guest services person was not friendly, and had sarcastic undertones. My bag arrived after 1 hour. I realized that the mini bar had not been restocked prior to my arrival. I called down to report, so as not to be charged upon checkout, and again was met by the same sarcastic male on the phone. Of course the tv didn't work. I cringed when I had to call, and again endure the same man on the phone. Nothing I called down for was inappropriate or "pest like", but he sure made me feel like he thought I was a nut!

The room was splendid. The view was spectacular. The bed was uber comfortable. The vibe in the hotel was great. We tried the spa, and it was glorious! One of the best massages I've ever had.

The service in the hotel was interesting. Everyone was willing to help, or attend to us, but NOBODY did it with a smile or a friendly attitude. Perhaps it was the heat, but the staff seemed so unhappy to be dealing with people. We went down to the outdoor restaurant by the pool one afternoon, and left after 15 minutes of being ignored by the many staff standing around. We also went to the breakfast buffet one morning and paid WAY too much for cold eggs, soggy bacon, and some fruit.

The room was fantastic, so I would stay again, but only if the price is right. This was a trial for this hotel, but I think we'll stick to our usual MB hotel next door.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard H, Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for the details in your review. I’m sorry to hear about your arrival experience and additional issues experienced during your stay. I will certainly talk to the teams to better our service. I appreciate the feedback and hope that you will give us another try in the near future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Fantastic stay.
Start with the check in, Lakeisha (I hope in spelling her name right) was a gem very helpful and attentive she described everything I needed to know about the hotel and then some. The hotel is a nice boutique hotel between 15 and 16 on Collins. It has a nice pool with limited umbrellas so get there early if you plan on spending the morning by the pool. Also please tip the pool girl she hustles all day and I see some of you just kind of brush her off after she sets up your chairs and umbrella, you know who you are you cheapo. Anyway the beach is right on the property as well so if the pool gets full go to the beach they will set you up with a chair and an umbrella as well, tip him as well. They will bring you food and drinks if you want. Raquel is very pleasant and is constantly walking around to see if you need a drink or food.
The hotel is perfectly situated between ocean drive and Lincoln road you can walk to both or use one of the hotels bicycles (they are free) to troll the streets.
Breakfast by the Florida cookery is fine you can do the buffet or a la carte. They both come out to be about the same price 60-70. This time the food looked better for some reason. The happy gentlemen with the sunglasses that greeted us for breakfast puts you in a good mood instantly.

I enjoy the acknowledgement from all of the staff as you walk through the hotel lobby or property, it makes you feel important (good job)

Now for the :(
We were by the pool and the supervisor came and told me to turn down my little Bose speaker because it interfered with their choice of music (boo) I say to that. I just think he was jealous of my tunes.

Marlon forgot to tell the valet to retrieve my car from the parking lot when I called down from my room. It was hot out there waiting for the car.

Those are the only negatives I had this weekend. Until next time.

I will post pictures later.

Stayed July 2014
Thanks for the details in your review. I appreciate the mention about Lakeisha, Raquel, and the team. I’m also happy to read that you enjoyed the location and amenities. I'm sorry to hear about the feedback but it is much appreciated and I will talk to the team members so we can better the experience. Don’t wait too long to come back. See you soon and thanks for the contribution!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I spent the July 4th weekend at the James Royal Palm. Awesome hotel experience. Perfect location - close to the restaurants on Ocean Drive and the Lincoln Road Mall and right on the beach. I was able to walk from the pool/bar right onto the sand. Even their most basic room, which is what I had, was pretty luxurious. And the staff really went out of their way, particularly the incredibly helpful and cheerful concierge Nathalie, who rocks in English, French and Spanish.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for the review. It’s great to read that you enjoyed the celebration in Miami Beach. Our location allows easy access to all festivities. The mention about Natalie is much appreciated and we will certainly recognize her efforts. We look forward to having you back at The James Royal Palm.
Lilburn, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had a weekend stay at the James. It was a pleasant surprise to us. First, it was my wife's bday and they had put a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries in the room. The staff was very cordial and accommodating the whole time we were there. Loved the direct access to the beach and the fact that they have umbrellas, chairs and towels for the guest that are complimentary was over the top. Be careful though because for some reason they charge on the weekends. It is nice to see that the staff goes over the top to make sure your experience is a good one. We didn't eat there because we thought the food and drinks were a bit pricey but if you talk with the concierge they will recommend great places to eat within walking distance. The location is great because it is right at the begining of Ocean Drive and thats were it starts to get wild and crazy! I must mention one thing on the rooms. When you decide on an ocean view or ocean front or street view be advised that an "Ocean view" is just that, you only see a small portion of the ocean from your rooms because they have no balconies for the "Ocean View". Last but not least, I usually stay at The Ritz Carlton which is about 1 block down from the The James. The price for which I payed for this hotel and the service and ammenities, I will no longer stay at the Ritz unless someone else is paying.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra money for an Ocean View because it is not worth it. Either a Ocean Front ro...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the comments. I’m happy to hear that we were able to meet your expectations during your stay with us. The details and comparisons are much appreciated. We hope you will select us on your next trip to Miami Beach.
Miami Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was my first time in Miami Beach and was happy I came across the James royal Hotel. From the time we stepped out our vehical we were treated like the number 1 priority. We were able to upgrade our room based on availability at no charge and just had overall friendly service the entire 3 days we were there. :) def will be going back next time we're in South Beach Miami!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for the posting. I’m excited that you found us. It sounds like we were able to make a great impression. We would love to have you back. See you soon.
Lawrenceville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed at the James during the weekend of 07/25. Awesome staff, awesome location, breakfast buffet was very good, affordable rates.
Gorgeous view from our balcony. Martin, Rob, from the staff were super pleasant. the only hotel I can remember I had such good service is when I travel to Rio (Sheraton)
I will definitely be back at the James Royal Palm!! Loved it!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for staying with us. I appreciate the mention about the team members, amenities, and service. Martin and Rob are big service contributors at the pool. We will certainly recognize them for their efforts. We look forward to having you back at The James Royal Palm.

Been to The James Royal Palm? Share your experiences!