“Great South Beach Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $75 Daily Credit
Ranked #42 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great South Beach Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at The James Royal Palm. The hotel staff was very accomodating at check in and the service at the pool and beach was excellent.The service at The Cookery could be improved but other than that, it's a great place to stay. If you need to get in a work out, the gym is well equipped and very clean. We'll be back to visit!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your comments. It is wonderful to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and are ready to return. We hope you will come back to see us again real soon!

1,056 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

First, let me say that the service at this hotel is amazing. I held a meeting there so I dealt with a number of different people from Danielle and Maria during the preparation phase (and lunch upon arrival) to Peter and Jesse during the actual meeting. Each one of these people treated me and my group as if we were the most important group they had ever had. I thank them for all of their help!

The rooms are kind of small but they make very good use of the space. The shower was huge and the bed was very comfortable. The only downside is that Collins Ave is busy all night long and it can be a bit noisy so I would recommend either having an extra drink before bed or bringing some earplugs if you want a solid night's sleep.

The hotel has two pools, one which is kind of small and then another larger one nearer the beach. The service there is great! When you sit down, within 5 minutes someone comes to bring you some water and make sure you are comfortable.

My wife went to the spa for a massage and said it was excellent. That's the only thing I can tell you about the spa.

The location is outstanding! The hotel is essentially across the street from the Lincoln Road Mall where there is shopping and lots of restaurants. You can also walk south and start finding restaurants almost immediately.

Overall, I have no real complaints about the James. I stay in a lot of hotels and this boutique hotel is well worth the money. I would stay here again with no hesitation!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
We certainly appreciate all of your lovely comments regarding the hotel and the service you received. Out location makes it easy to enjoy South Beach as well as our pools and beach service. Thank you again for your review and we hope you and your wife will return soon.
Whodat01
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Read many reviews and was concerned. The staff was better than great. The hotel clean and the amenities included are superb. The food was pretty good and reasonably priced.I would stay there again and will recommend to anyone who will listen.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate the honest feedback and thank you for recognizing the efforts of our Team Members. We hope you will return soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on the 21st March 2014 for a few days and have to say it was amazing.

After a delayed flight from London and the usual fun and games at the airport, arriving at the James Royal Palm was a joy. The check in process was mega easy and while waiting to sign in you are presented with a cooling face towel to refresh yourself. There is also a water cooler with ices water with lemon and lime pieces to add to the experience.

You are always a little anxious when checking in to a hotel that has had consistent positive reviews incase they were all a little too positive - but I have to say in this case there were spot on. On entering my room (Deluxe Double Kin with ocean view) I know I had made the right choice. Super clean, cool and bright. The bed was so welcoming I almost wanted to jump straight in. There was a small seating area and a fabulously well stocked mini-bar.

When I booked the room there was a 'with sea view' option. I was a little worried that this might mean having to peer around buildings or a far off glimmer of the sea.....again, this was not to be the case - open the patio doors and there it was - the blue Atlantic with the golden South Beach hitting the senses and daring you not to join them.

The hotel itself is extremely well situated at the top of Ocean Drive and its bars as well as the shopping / eating area of 16th street. Its also almost opposite Jerry's Diner - so if you dance a good ol' American breakfast then its on your doorstep.

The Jame's Royal also has two pools to relax by which is served by an outdoor bar/restaurant. If you are lucky enough to grab a lounger then there is someone who will pop by and take your drink / food order for you.

The staff are uber friendly but not in your face and very polite.

If there was anything I could pick at it would be the limited number of loungers by the pool for the size of the hotel.....and if I'm being super critical - the rug in my room could have done with a bit of cleaning. I only really noticed it because the rest of the room was so spotless. I did mention this to the reception when I checked out - and I know they would have been up there immediately sorting it out.

This is a very well run hotel at the near top of its game. You'd be crazy not to stay here!!!

Room Tip: My room was 744 - couldn't complain.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
What a wonderful review. Thank you for telling us about your visit. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the room with the incredible view. I have alerted Housekeeping to ensure that we have given proper attention to the rug that was in your room. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

When we arrived on the beach we were taken care of by James. We were treated very well and sat immediately. As soon as we sat down David came up to us to take our drink order. Super personable and the service was 5 stars in my opinion. I'm a firm believer in not only service but personality. Could definitely see David in a management position. He's a leader and willing to make people's stay unique and fun.

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding the personalized service that you received from David. We appreciate the opportunity to recognize the Team Members that go above and beyond. I hope you will return to the property soon and enjoy our beach services again.
Billings
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I checked into this hotel on March 30th around 8 pm. We had a ocean front room. We hadn't been in the room for more than 5 minutes...I was out on the balcony and my husband was in the bathroom when I heard our door open. There was no knock, nothing, or door was suddenly flung open. I heard my husband say 'Who's there?' I turned around to see THREE men walking into my room, one of whom was an employee wearing a blue uniform shirt. He asked what we were doing in the room and I said 'This is our room'.He said oh sorry, I thought it was vacant and I was just trying to show these two what a room looked like. I shut the door and they STILL stood outside our door. I cracked the door open and asked them what they were doing and all the employee did was mumble sorry. At this point I called the front desk to alert them to the fact that an employee had barged into our room unannounced. She said 'sorry', I'll 'get with my team to find out what happened.' I did not receive a call back, so we decided just to cancel our stay. We went to head downstairs and there were the three men still standing in the hall. I was actually frightened. Upon getting to the front desk, all that was mumbled was a 'sorry , the employee thought he was showing a room on the 15th floor. If he realized his mistake after he barged into our room, why was he still hanging out on our floor? We asked the front desk person for her name, she refused. We asked for a printout of the cancellation of our room, she refused.

This is by far and away the most horrible experience we have ever had at a hotel. We are used of staying at beautiful properties with wonderful customer service. The staff acted as if it was the most normal thing in the world to have 3 men waltz into your room uninvited. It was extremely frightening and very, very strange.

• Stayed March 2014
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
I was so sorry to see your post. I certainly apologize that you experienced such an unfortunate incident. I would like to connect with you personally to further discuss your stay. Please contact me at jamesmiamigm@jameshotels.com and I will be sure to reach out. Thank you
Wellington, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Rooms are well appointed, the hotel is an ideal location - beach front, close to Lincoln Road, lots of action near by. Pool area was crowded the weekend we were there and could be difficult to get a chair around the pool, but plenty of chairs at the beach (an umbrella's and love how they brought you a basket with waters and an apple). Also loved the little fruit cups, etc, they gave out around the pool.

Only negative was the service at the restaurant around the pool. Waited a very long time for breakfast after it was ordered. Brought coffee but no cream or sugar and by the time they did bring it - we already finished a pot of coffee.

Hotel lobby, bar area very quiet in the evening - but plenty going on close by so nice to have the quiet retreat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was so happy to see that you enjoyed our amenities as well as The James Beach Box. Your comments regarding breakfast service are disappointing and have been communicated with our Team so that we may improve and provide the service to the standards we expect. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to The James Royal Palm? Share your experiences!