“Lovely hotel in an excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The James Royal Palm

You added The James Royal Palm to your Saves list
The James Royal Palm
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1545 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139‎ (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy $150 Off Your Stay
Ranked #36 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wellington, FL
“Lovely hotel in an excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Rooms are well appointed, the hotel is an ideal location - beach front, close to Lincoln Road, lots of action near by. Pool area was crowded the weekend we were there and could be difficult to get a chair around the pool, but plenty of chairs at the beach (an umbrella's and love how they brought you a basket with waters and an apple). Also loved the little fruit cups, etc, they gave out around the pool.

Only negative was the service at the restaurant around the pool. Waited a very long time for breakfast after it was ordered. Brought coffee but no cream or sugar and by the time they did bring it - we already finished a pot of coffee.

Hotel lobby, bar area very quiet in the evening - but plenty going on close by so nice to have the quiet retreat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was so happy to see that you enjoyed our amenities as well as The James Beach Box. Your comments regarding breakfast service are disappointing and have been communicated with our Team so that we may improve and provide the service to the standards we expect. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Good location and the design of the hotel is cool with a nice restaurant and pool area. Some negative feedback: Everything is expensive and some food from the restaurant did not meet our expectations, for example the Cesar sallad. The windows of the hotel rooms have not been cleaned for years, we had 3 rooms and it was the same in all, sad with that nice view. There is also very limitied possibilities to dry things in the rooms. We were out running almost every day so this became a problem.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your compliment regarding our design. I apologize if you were disappointed with your Caesar Salad and I am certain we would have replaced it with another offering. Regarding the windows, we schedule cleaning on a regular quarterly basis and it is unfortunate when the weather affects the timeliness. Please note that we are scheduled for a cleaning in the next week- I am sorry that this affected your stay. I hope you will return and stay with us again on your next visit to the area.
Rotterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Until last year, maybe the James was good value for money. This year they raised their prices to the level of their next doors neighbour, Loews, a really grand hotel. There is no way you can figure out what types of rooms they have and at what price they sell them. Prices change by the minute. For a two-hour late check out they asked $260. The price of a drink at the pool needs to be negotiated with the waiter. For lunch, you will have to wait half an hour to order and another half until they bring the food. If the WiFi works at the pool, as they advertise, please let me know. Room service trays can stay in the corridor for a couple of days. You are lucky if you can find a maid that speaks English. The quality of breakfast food (@ 35 dollars/pp) utterly unacceptable. Room furnishings of the lowest level of IKEA quality.
Most disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
I was so sorry to see your post. I certainly apologize if you did not have a restful stay with us. I would like to connect with you personally to further discuss your stay. Please contact me at jamesmiamigm@jameshotels.com and I will be sure to reach out. Thank you
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Had a recent stay in March at The James Royal Palm located in Miami South Beach.

It's a chic boutique hotel with a cool lobby, in-house spa, 24-hour gym, great pool and beachfront location. Wifi works all throughout the hotel right up to the beach which is great for those who need connection while searching for fresh air (though a friend of mine complained of poor connection in her room.)

The biggest complaint I have is the service which mars the entire experience somewhat. At the end of the 4th day I came back to find my room left uncleaned with a smelly dish rag carelessly thrown on the coffee table. It looked like the cleaner left in a hurry. When I called the front desk to get someone up to finish the cleaning, it ultimately took 2 calls and 20 mins before someone came up, gave a perfunctory sweep and left.

Breakfast every morning was supposed to be included in our booking but the arrangements weren't communicated to the operations staff and every day the breakfast arrangements kept changing. On some days it was a cold buffet with a sad selection of boxed cereal, breads and jams. On other days we were told we could order off the menu but kept within the price of the buffet. Only on the first day was there an egg station provided where we could order eggs cooked on the spot. This all seems rather arbitrary and inconsistent for the same price paid. When the staff were asked to clarify, half the time we were met with a tinge of annoyance like it was too much trouble.

To qualify, the bell boys were great and very very helpful. Not just with our luggage but in general. One noticed that I was hovering around the concierge waiting for her to notice me, and took the initiative to ask me what I needed (an international adapter). This after I got snubbed by the very same hotel concierge whom I'd first approached for the same request 15mins before. The rest of the service staff were at best average but the lady concierge was the worst of the lot. Rude and acted like she had no time to attend to you. Even if mine was not a request she could have attended to, the attitude was unnecessary.

Miami is an expensive place to stay but if I could choose again for the same price, I'd look elsewhere.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The James Royal Palm. It was wonderful to see that the style of the hotel met your expectations but I was certainly disappointed that there were some service missteps. I apologize for the rag that was left in your room during cleaning as well as the confusion regarding our breakfast options. This should have been better communicated and I am working with the Team to ensure that this is not the experience going forth. I have also spoken with the concierge you mentioned as your experience was not in line with our service standards. Thank you again for your comments and I do hope you will return to see us on your next trip to South Beach.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Such a cool and trendy hotel, very Miami. The welcome on reception was very good as was the service through out the hotel. I was really impressed with the bedrooms, everything was so white and spotlessly clean. I think the bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever stayed in. The pool area can get busy but is a great place to plot up for a couple of hours and hotel has direct access to the beach. Great location, close enough to be near the action but far enough away for peace and quiet. Very impressed!

Room Tip: We had a city view room which was fine but had no balcony, go for sea view if your budget will allow...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for the lovely comments regarding your visit with us. We appreciate that you took the time to detail your stay. Our beds are very comfortable and with the white bedding you can feel as though you are resting on a cloud. Please come back to visit us again soon.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We had a fantastic stay at The James Royal Palm. Edgar assisted with my check-in and went above and beyond to assure that we had the best room available and to have it ready in a timely fashion so that I could take a nap following my red-eye flight. Beach servers Steven and Berlin were both very attentive and patient with our large group of girls. Bartenders Nate and Ray were also wonderful, very friendly, mixed excellent cocktails, and had great recommendations of things to do in the area. Thanks again for a fantastic trip! It was worth every penny and I will definitely be back to stay at The James next time I'm in South Beach.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

So happy to hear that you had a great stay with us! Thank you for letting us know in your review. We also appreciate that you let us know specific Team Members that that had a positive impact on your visit- the bartenders, beach servers and the agent at check in. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to them. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful stay at The James Royal Palm. The service was unsurpassed, the rooms were sparkling clean and the setting amidst the palm trees and right on the ocean was perfect. I will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
What a gracious and warm review! Thank you so much for your comments. I will certainly share your experience details with the team. I am so glad that the service and housekeeping met and surpassed your expectations. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back as our guest soon.

Been to The James Royal Palm? Share your experiences!