“Pristine Environment!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Warri, Nigeria
“Pristine Environment!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Front desk- the staff were very helpful and nice. I just got off a 15 hour flight and I was very tired but they made me feel right at home.

Rooms- the rooms were in pristine condition; with the amenities in proper works order. The interior design is tasteful, modern and pleasing. The beds are comfortable and easy to fall asleep in. The balcony was barely wide enough to stand on, maybe this not common to all rooms with balcony

Dining- Nice selection of food and hospitable staff. However, the continental breakfast included in the room rate is scanty and over priced at $28 per person.

Room tip- we got connecting rooms, although, when we called to book we were told that there were no connecting rooms. Eg. Rooms 842/844 are connected and good for families, it's also cheaper than getting a 2-bedroom suite.
The eight floor is quite

The view of the ocean from our rooms were truly beautiful. My kids got up early in the morning to get a picture of the up sun rising over the ocean.

The location of the hotel is also very efficient. It's close to the beach and most shopping and dining franchises. The Lincoln mall is also within walking distance.

Overall, it's a truly nice hotel. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
So nice to read your review detailing your stay with us. It seems that we were able to help you make some wonderful memories while you were visiting with us. Thank you and we look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

1,066 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed one night in the hotel on Labor Day weekend, and we were able to enjoy the beach both the afternoon we arrived and the morning/early afternoon of the following day. We stayed in room 431, which is the handicap accessible room right outside the elevator. Very clean, very spacious, super comfy bed. The room did not have a hair dryer as expected, but the concierge sent one up at my request. My personal opinion of the hotel shampoo and conditioner is that they have a very strong forest odor - usually I take my own when I go to hotels, but I really regretted forgetting mine. The room was quiet at night, but I noticed around 8am when I woke up that the elevator was very audible from the room.

The beach is just in the back of the hotel, and while it is not a private beach, the chairs/umbrellas section is quite convenient. The service at the beach, however, is sub-par. The first afternoon, we easily checked in, got some chairs and an umbrella set up, and relaxed/swam for an hour before we got thirsty. We walked to the food booth, and they told us to go back to our chairs and someone would come around...that was another 20 minutes, and even then we had to flag her down and it took another 20 minutes to get a beer. Fast forward to the next morning on Labor Day, we arrived at 8:45am, but learned the beach service didn't open until 9:30. We had brought our own beach towels from home and were so glad we did - after chairs were set up we claimed two and and umbrella, and one guy did eventually come by to help adjust our umbrella (since we were doing it ourselves and I don't think they want guests touching the umbrellas). At that time, we asked for towels but never got them. A little bit later (prob 10:30), I walked over to the checkin booth to ask for towels and was told "we're still waiting for them, but it should be 5 minutes and we'll walk around and hand them out to you". We never got towels, never even saw someone come by. We were at the beach until 12:30 and also never saw a waitress come by for a food or drink order, which is probably better since it is pretty pricey and we ended up leaving for a cheaper and tastier lunch, but the poor beach service left me feeling a little gyped.

Room Tip: There is a $20 per 24 hours flat rate parking garage one block away - a great option, much better th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
First, let me sincerely apologize for the lapse in service you received while our guest at the beach. This is not acceptable and we are looking into the areas where we fell short of your expectations and our service standards. I do apologize and hope that you will come back to visit us again in the future so we can show you the service which we pride ourselves on. Thank you for the review.
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My partner and I spent our anniversary at The James Royal Palm recently. Having never stayed at this property, I wanted our trip to be perfect. This is an exclusive resort and for the prices, I expected perfection. What we got was near perfection, but they still need to work out a few bugs in the system. After making the reservation for an oceanfront room, I called back to ask for their "best" room in that category as it was a special occasion. After years of staying in hotels, I know that the staff knows which are the best rooms, some have better views, locations, etc. I was told that we had the "best" room on the property. After checking in to our room, I was surprised at how small the balcony was and that the window was rather small. Only after lying at the pool later and looking up at the building, did I realize that their were corner oceanfront rooms that had wrap-around balconies and much larger windows. I went to the desk to inquire about moving, but was told that the rooms were all the same. The desk clerk obviously did not know the property. I asked for a corner room and was told, rather brusquely, that no corner rooms were available and that they were "exactly" the same as the other rooms. The next morning, we went to the Florida Cookery, the resort's in-house restaurant, for breakfast. We were staying on the "Bed, Breakfast & SoBe" package, and our breakfast was supposed to be included. We were given no vouchers at check-in, only told to sign for our breakfast and it would be taken off our total bill. The Hostess at the restaurant immediately asked for our vouchers and I told her that we had none, that we were on the "Bed, Breakfast & SoBe" package. She had NO idea what that was or what I was talking about. I walked all the way to the front desk to inquire, leaving my partner waiting at the restaurant. The clerk at the front desk also had NO idea what my package was or what it included. He said it must be the Continental breakfast and gave me 2 coupons. I went back to breakfast and presented the coupons. The Continental breakfast was the worst I have ever had. The breakfast consisted of granola, fruit (which was bruised apples and several hard plums), and very dried out croissants, bagels and bread. Nothing else. Florida Cookery is advertised as a unique dining experience, etc. It was terrible. The resort caters to many foreigners and they attack the continental breakfast and don't care what they get. This explains why we were asked for the vouchers by the Hostess. She just assumed we were getting the Continental breakfast. One mustn't assume! I was very disappointed that a resort like The James would have several of their staff who had no idea about their packages, rooms, etc. Seems like the staff should ALL be familiar with the entire resort. Later in the day, I saw the clerk who checked us in, Lakeisha. I spoke with her and explained the situation about breakfast. She was very apologetic and explained that we were to receive a $56 credit each morning for breakfast and only had to order off the menu and sign for breakfast and it would be removed from our total. She worked it our that we could have lunch there that day and receive the credit. I also asked her about the corner room and she was able to get us one for our second night. What an angel she was! She was the type of employee that I would expect at The James. She could not have been more helpful. She even sent up a bottle of champagne for the problems and our anniversary. Lakeisha saved the day! The corner room was fabulous and so much brighter and we could even lay in bed and see the ocean. The layout of the room was much better and the room was larger. If you stay at The James, I would recommend a corner oceanfront room. The breakfast off the regular menu the next morning was perfect and tasty. The rest of the facility was wonderful. It was clean, the staff was friendly and professional, evrything looked bright and shiny and new. The service at the beach was great and you could get bar and dining services, which was quick and easy. The 2 pools were great, but the water was actually a bit too warm in the pools, not refreshing, more like a hot tub. The pool staff either needs to wear a nametag or a shirt identifying as staff. They were hard to distinguish from all the guests other than they were wearing white polo shirts and dark blue Dockers, as were some of the guests. We always had to ask if they worked there. If you wanted to use the pool in the later evenings, there were no staff available, meaning no pool towels. Everyone was bringing their room towels to the pool. Uopn checking in, they charged us a $150 refundable security deposit. I thought that was very wierd and have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and have NEVER been charged a security deposit. Felt a little "cheap" to me, like they thought we would run off with the robes or towels. Overall, this is a fantastic resort and I would recommend it to anyone. The location is perfect, near the Art Deco District and Lincold Road area, you can walk anywhere. Safe, quiet (not like some other resorts that are "party" oriented), and upscale. Their prices are high, but this is South Beach and you get what you pay for. Give The James a try and you will have a great stay.

Room Tip: Get a corner oceanfront. They have bigger wrap-around windows and balconies and are laid out better...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experiences. While it seems we were able to meet many of your expectations, we did fall short in some areas and will certainly be reviewing these issues to ensure that we correct them and do not misstep in the future. I apologize for the confusion with your breakfast package and we are working with all departments involved to ensure that these operational items do not create any further inconveniences. Thank you again for your comments and we hope that we will see you and your partner on your next special occasion!
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Me and my wife stayed here for one night on a Saturday in August. The valley was nice and helpful from the jump. The staff at the front counter were nice as well. You have to try the cucumber water in the lobby ad well, it's very refreshing...lol. Anyways, we were upgraded to a better room because we booked on jetsetter and the resort fee was included with our package, and the front desk guy told us he waved the fee but it still ended up being on our bill.
The room we were upgraded to was nice. It had modern decor with a sleek feel to it. The only thing that was missing was the service and the small extras to the room. Like the small bottles of the shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. None of which was put in our room. Also, we never had our room prepped when leaving later on that day, which was shocking of a resort of this caliber. Overall it was a decent stay. The proximity to the beach is a win, and the pool area is lush! The only thing about the beach area was they didn't open until 9:30am because of "turtle" season. We wanted to relax in the chairs and under the umbrellas @ 7am, sort of wake up on the beach. But it was fine and relaxing. Overall a pretty decent stay and good area for beach, food, and play. I heard the food at the resort is pretty good as well, but I didn't get a chance to check it out this time.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks so much for telling us about your stay. Regarding the small bottles of shampoo and conditioner, the property is green and therefore we utilize the larger refillable bottles as part of our programming. I apologize if this was not clear to you during your stay. I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay and we hope to see you again.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Newly renovated hotel, very "SoBe" style. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Rooms were very spacious according to most South Beach hotel rooms and very nicely decorated. Super comfortable beds and lots of extra little perks, like complimentary distilled water which was replenished daily and big bottles of high quality shampoo, conditioner and body wash that were afixed in the shower itself...very impressive! And I really liked that the beach chairs and umbrellas were included in our reservation so I didn't have to worry about bringing cash with me to the beach every day. The house keeping staff was very diligent in keeping my room neat and tidy and clean. Only area in need of improvement was the hallways which could have used a good vacuum.

This hotel is great for any type of travel, from business, to family to friends....something for everyone.

Best location in South Beach in my humble opinion anyways. Very centrally located and easy access to Ocean Drive or Lincoln Road and with being right on the beach, you can't get any easier access to the sun, sand and ocean either. Although I have stayed in other SoBe hotels before, I will definitely be going back to The James Royal Palm for my next trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thanks so much for the review. It is great to hear that you were able to have a great time while staying with us. It is also good to hear that you will be coming back to see us when you return to the area. Thanks again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there to close to the clubs and beach at the same time and it was perfect. The Concierge gave us Hotel Pass for Mansion and other clubs that got us right in. It was perfectly located on the beach and we had a great time

• Stayed August 2013
So glad to hear that you had a great stay with us. I am happy to hear that the concierge was able to accommodate your requests and get you into the right party spots. Come back and see us again soon!
Chicago, IL USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights here and the best thing about it was the beach access and the Florida Cookery where the food was delicious. But on the first night, they couldn't get our door open, so we had to move to a different room. They did comp us breakfast the next day which was nice. The servers and people at the outdoor restaurant were more polite and friendly than at the hotel itself. We got a pretty good deal by booking online, but I would try somewhere else if I were to go back. The water pitcher in the room was another nice add-on. The shampoo and conditioner and body soap was amazing.

Room Tip: The balcony is only a very small opening. No room to sit out there at all. Be careful of all the ext...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I was disappointed to hear that there were elements of your trip that did not go as planned. I apologize regarding the problems with your lock and hope we were able to fix them in an expeditious manner. Thanks for staying with us.