“Lovely hotel great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort

You added Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort to your Saves list
Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1545 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139‎ (Formerly The James Royal Palm) (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #92 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Very lovely hotel, smaller than most, staff excellent, pool lovely, right on the beach and in the centre of Collins avenue so easy to walk out to shops & food.
Thought hotel restaurant was expensive though. Would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Let me start by saying my first stay at this hotel in August of 2009 experience was okay. I'll tell you a few things I remember about that stay. The price wasn't bad. The location was excellent. The hotel's decor was super nice. I don't recall my experience with the hotel staff since I was barely in the hotel. The jacuzzi they had at the time by the pool was disgustingly dirty. The pools were fine. The beach was beautiful. Those are pretty much the highlights from 2009. In general the hotel is beautiful but that jacuzzi just killed it.

My recent stay here was June of 2006 and what an improvement! Let me start by saying that I chose an ocean view versus a city view. I wanted to stay at the Loews which is next door cause it has a big pool which I liked. After looking at prices, I noticed that we could get an ocean view for about the same price as a regular room at the Loews. Also, I remember seeing lots of kids in the pool at the Loews from my last trip since from The James Royal Palms you could see their pool. So I went for The James Royal Palm instead which I know the hotel in itself is beautiful filled with nice art deco. My only concern was since I've stayed there before, I wanted to know where are the ocean view rooms situated because those rooms would be on the side since you're not booking an ocean front view. If you google map it, you'll see my concern. They have a east and a west side building and I wanted to be on the east building which is closer to the ocean. After making a few calls before arriving, they all said an ocean view is anywhere where you can see the ocean which I wasn't too happy by that answer. I ended up talking to a Ceasar who got me a room in the east building but according to him he doesn't know exactly how the view is from there yet he works there. He says I'll be able to see the ocean and it's a partial ocean view. We went on and on cause I wasn't happy with that answer till I decided to leave it at that till I got there and saw for myself. In the following paragraph I'll continue with the story on my room. But my room issue was really bothering me and especially since it's $80.00 more a night for an ocean view versus a city view.

They now have a lot more staff now and it seems like they all graduated from customer service! Not to say that my first stay was bad cause I really didn't have much interaction or confrontations with them. When you walk in or walk out they open both doors for you like if you're a celeb of some sort. The staff right away takes your luggage to bring it in. At the front desk, I'm almost sure I got Ceasar cause I recognized his voice. I didn't ask for his name however. So after he says I'm all set and hands me the room keys, I asked him in which tower will I be in and if I'm going to be facing north or south. He tells me I'll be in the east tower facing north which is the Loew's view. I asked him if I'll be able to have a nice view of the ocean and he says it'll be a partial view. Here we go again. I told him we'll if I don't have a nice view then you're going to have to change the room cause I'm not going to pay to have a view of the Loews and break my neck to the side to look at the ocean. He told me to check out the room and let him know if there's a problem. But all along he had a little attitude which I caught. I get to my room and the view was actually really nice and more than what I expected! He could have said you could see most of the ocean and it'll be a nice view than just repeating a partial view and saying they're ocean view is any room where you could see the ocean. My view was really nice in room 1738 on the 17th floor which is the last floor on the east tower. So that's that with my room LOL. I noticed throughout the hotel they upgraded the decor a bit. Again, it was nice before and now it's even nicer. They did some slight upgrade construction here and there and they got rid of the nasty jacuzzi and built a nicer one and now all pools and jacuzzi are handicap accessible and even the gym which I found really interesting. All the staff were extremely friendly and I told them about my last stay and they said they're under new management which is quite obvious. I went to the beach and they have a little hut as soon as you get to their beach section and the girl there gives you towels and gets a guy to get chairs for you. All friendly of course. I don't know if I should say this but they're so friendly that I sort of felt bad for them. I felt like I was in a resort in the Caribbean where people are so friendly and helpful which is hard to say for the U.S. I loved it! Everyone would say hi to you and talk to you at the hotel. One thing that was a little odd was a bill I received the morning of my check out of some pantry liquor. So I ended up buying a few things like water, juice, etc. and decided to take out some of the stuff on the fridge and put it on top of the fridge in a visible area. So I guess who ever did inventory didn't see that which I don't see how could they miss it. I ended up calling front desk and I told the girl the situation and she removed the charges off my bill which was nice. I'm not sure how she was able to justify what I said. I mentioned to her that everything is there just that some of the things I took out of the fridge. I guess she could check inventory to see if anything was filled up so they could charge and since nothing was replaced, she was probably able to see that. We'll that went good. They fridge is stacked with everything you need! Super expensive however so I bought my own stuff. Check out was quick and easy in fact you could check out from the TV in the room which I didn't have time to do but I thought that was super cool. That's pretty much it on the hotel itself. I really have no complaints except for that Ceasar guy and that bill. The hotel is amazing and the price is really good! Location is perfect! Walking distance to Ocean Drive, Lincoln Road and Washington Ave. which are the best streets around. I priced the Z Ocean Hotel nearby cause it looks nice but it doesn't have a private beach or maybe it does but you have to cross the street and it's about $300.00 more for a week than The James Royal Palm. So as far as price and overall comfort/experience, I don't think any of the hotels in the area compares to this hotel!!!

I typed this really fast and I'm not going back to proof read it so hopefully my review helps you. Feel free to message me.

Room Tip: 1738 which is on the east tower on the last floor facing north. Pretty good view of the ocean!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andy P
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Been to Miami Beach many time and this time we booked a room on Hotwire and stayed at the James Royal Palm which was just remodeled. Service was spectacular and the location is the best in South Beach. Go to Hotwire and book the 4 1/2 star Hotel by the beach at a fantastic price. Guaranteed you will not be disappointed!

Cheers!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor in the west tower for beautiful ocean views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Wow! Loved this hotel. Upon arrival we were immediately offered an upgrade for 50 dollars more per night for an ocean view... Which we immediately took.... The staff were unbelievable and so helpful. This hotel is close to all shops, restaurants and bus terminals. You also didn't have to pay for the lounges and umbrellas on the beach.. And you get a special complimentary water and fruit basket. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: You do spend more time on the beach and around the restaurants, so you don't have to have an oce...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed at The James Royal Palm (Miami) for 3 nights. Our room was great with views of the ocean. Breakfast was good and everyone was very helpful. Would be great if they had the bikes in stock. Loved the decor!! Overall a great place to stay and we will be back.

• Stayed May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the James and were really impressed with everything. The room was nice, a little on the small side but it worked. The toiletries in the room were nice, and the bed and pillows were so comfortable!. We loved the pool and beach area. I thought that the James beach area was one of the best in all of South Beach. We walked from 44 street all the way down to 1st street, and we did not see better beach beds / pool loungers anywhere. The house keeping was amazing! The room was cleaned to perfection everyday, and it would always be cleaned by the time we got back from the pool. The service from everyone who we encountered over our 6 days there was consistently good (the employees on the beach were great). The restaurants / bars and location just added to a great experience here! The only thing that was missing was nightly turndown service, but I would come back here in a second!

Room Tip: If the cost is minimal, go for the partial ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I intended to write this review back in November when we were guests at the James but it wasn't even listed on Trip Advisor at the time and I just thought to go back to do it now. The hotel is very impressive when you first drive up the U-shaped, palm lined driveway and are greeted by the very enthusiastic valets. The lobby is clean and bright and modern with a friendly staff to welcome guests. They were extremely eager to be of service. The rooms were immaculately clean and the decor was cool, creative and modern. We were the first guests to use it. Ours had a view of the ocean. Since we were staying on about the second day of their opening, some of the outdoor areas were still under construction but the staff went all out to accommodate us under the circumstances. We were able to walk easily down to the South Beach areas along the promenade, to Lincoln Road and along Collins Ave. to see the sights. We were actually the very first guests to dine in the restaurant for breakfast on the morning after our arrival. Service was fine and the breakfast menu was varied and creative. We were very pleased with the food and the service. Unfortunately our stay was only for a night and much too brief. Overall it was a lovely experience and we are anxious to return for a longer stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple