“Great Job! Mad Men vibe.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$25 Daily Hotel Credit
Ranked #39 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
“Great Job! Mad Men vibe.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed because the company that hired me booked this hotel for me and my partners. Great experience and service, then my wife came for a few days of vacation, the beach service is very good, the 2 pools excelent, nice people everywhere, I asked for a room change because the room next to mine was a little noisy, they did it inmediatly, most of all, the hotel looks awesome, with this mad men vibe. Hope I can come back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
JFRomeroRomero-

Thank you for the great review! Glad you were able to mix a little vacation into your business trip. We hope you can come back too! Will reach out to you off line to get your travel manager's contact so we potentially work out a corporate rate for you and your partners.

Best.

849 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Nassau, New Providence Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed at the James Royal Palm over a long weekend and was thoroughly disappointed with both the service and the standard of the hotel. Having stayed in the James in New York I was expecting the same level of service and cutting edge design only to be thoroughly disappointed on both accounts. We booked a room in the Lanai building which is very poor......the lifts were dirty and the facilities were cheaply renovated. When we requested to change we were informed that there were no rooms available on the night and we were subsequently moved in the morning to the East tower which admittedly was a lot better. We had breakfast and dinner at the Florida Cookery where we were disappointed once again with the sub standard quality of food. House keeping was uncooperative. We asked 5 times for our room to be supplied with shampoo which they managed to provide on the last day and never once changed the bottled water. To top it off the concierge was unhelpful on most accounts. It took them 3 days to respond to an email request relative to restaurant reservations and subsequently failed to deliver on a birthday surprise. Overall a thoroughly disappointing experience for $450+/night. If James wants to be a Holiday Inn then they should be branded accordingly....Never to go back or recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
LunaG6-

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your long weekend with us. I am sorry that we disappointed you from a design, service and food quality perspective. I will reach out to you offline to get more details so we can properly address with the appropriate team members.

I appreciate your positive comments about The James NY and hope to have the opportunity to deliver a true James experience to you one day in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel was just renovated in November and it is fabulous. It is modern and luxurious and the staff are wonderful. From the minute we got out of our taxi they made us feel incredibly welcome - we even had some bubbly and chocolates in our room as a honeymoon treat.
The hotel is ideally located just next to South Beach. It has its own pitch with lovely sunbeds and parasols. The service on the beach was terrific.
The pools are also gorgeous. It's hard to pick between beachside or poolside-decisions, decisions!
Breakfast was the only thing that wasn't brilliant. They do offer a breakfast buffet, but it's average rather than great. But this is very minor, and when you're sitting on the terrace sipping juice it really isn't a big deal.
The room was great. Spacious and with an extremely comfy bed. Clean and sleek. Loved it.
Great location, plenty of great bars and places to eat within minutes from the hotel.
All in all we had a fabulous stay and will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
lseultfitz-

Thank you for the wonderful review of The James Royal Palm. I appreciate the kind words about the facility and "welcome" feeling you experienced.

Great feedback on the Breakfast Buffet. We are constantly trying new additions and trying to find the right stuff to make it great.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is in a great location right on the beach. The room we had was huge. It had a bedroom and separate living/dining area. Incredibly clean. Staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Very environmentally conscious. Free wi-fi and Macs in lobby. Complimentary water and fruit by the pool and in lobby. Decent gym. Pool bar was a bit pricey. $32 for a rum and coke (call liquor) and a glass of house wine. Can't say enough about how great the staff was...front desk staff always had a smile, concierge was very helpful, someone always opened a door or offered to help with luggage or get a cab. Everyone said hello or good morning. Just an overall great place to stay. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Jene74-

Excellent review! Thank you. Appreciate you sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor nation!

I am glad to hear that the Team exceeded your expectation and were always smiling and helpful!

Hope to see you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been to South Beach about 6 times and I have to say this was the best trip yet! We usually stay at the Winter Haven (Ocean Drive) but the last time we stayed there they were under renovations and we were woken by super loud music a few nights around 4 am so this time we wanted something different. The James was AMAZING! Everything is new, trendy and the service is the best I have experienced in many many years, and we travel A LOT. I expected them to be a bit snobby but all staff were extremely helpful, friendly and went out of their way to make a great experience for their guests. We checked in within 5 minutes of arriving, super efficient, and even a free upgrade to the penthouse level - 17th floor, without us even ASKING! We had a partial ocean view and city view, both spectacular!! I wish we had a balcony to step out onto, but since they didn't charge us ANYTHING for the upgrade, we couldn't complain. We had our luggage brought to our room and the guy actually took 5 minutes to orient us to the features of the room - like how to work the mini bar, pop up electrical outlets, coffee maker, and air conditioning unit. We were hungry so hit the Florida Cookery for a late lunch after our travels. Server was very attentive and kind, made some good suggestions and we had a lovely outdoor lunch. Ambiance is trendy and relaxed. Pool is beautiful if not a bit small, but we don't mind as we are beach lovers. We hit the beach several times over our stay and each time we were greeted by staff to set up our umbrella, chairs and towels. They also bring you a basket with bottled water and oranges and a menu to order drinks or food. We did this a few times and the waitresses were helpful and hardworking. VERY ATTENTIVE! I really felt spoiled and like they wanted to make us happy during our stay. Beach is gorgeous, although expect it to be crowded. Hotel location is PERFECT for tons of dining options on South Beach/Ocean Drive (2 min walk), also Lincoln Road Mall with about 50 stores and restaurants at your disposal. Loved this hotel and highly recommend to friends and family! Bottom line, you get what you pay for. This place is heaven, go if you want to be spoiled!

Room Tip: 17 floor was amazing, partial ocean view and city view, floor to ceiling windows. High enough that y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at the james for a week, I was traveling alone, and it was an excellent place to be. The room was smartly designed with plenty of amenities - robes, slippers, room service, bottled water (eco-friendly- a glass bottle of triple filtered water, refilled daily), good TV, modern clean bathroom and plenty of closet space,-- and the decor was modern without being precious, and charming,with small design details that gave it some flair. The staff were all quite friendly and helpful. The pool area is comfortable and contemporary without being a scene (which South Beach can have too much of), and service for the ocean front chairs was terrific. When you sat down (at pool or ocean) you were given a little wicker basket with two tangerines, bottles of water and and the menu. Perfect. I usually stay at more costly hotels like the Raleigh, and was tired of feeling a bit ripped off. The James was great value for the money and I will certainly stay here again. The reason it isn't getting an "excellent" rating is that I save that for truly outstanding (and usually super expensive hotels), but this hotel did it's job extremely well. And one more thing -its location is terrific; on the ocean and just blocks from Lincoln Road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Mexico City Kid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Management was very friendly. Everyone knew about my birthday and send a complimentary bottle of champagne to the room, which all six of us polished off. The room was great, spacious enough for that kind of party. The staff made check-out easy for me. By the time I got to reception, my cab was waiting to take me to the airport. All this was handled at warp speed and very impressive.

Other service items are in dire need of improvement. Both staff and other guests said this was probably due to the hotel being refurbished and barely open several months and this was the high season on top of that. When I checked in, I had to ask for a room change, as my top floor room was under the hotel air conditioning unit, emitting a steady hum that drove me crazy. When I called, they sent up a man within minutes who showed me an alternative room. When I OK'd the room, he told me to wait until he brought me the key card. I waited and waited and waited. Finally, I went to reception and got the key card. I took all my luggage down with me. She said she sent someone up there. I told her he appeared the first time to show me the room, was going to return with the key card but never did.

I had to call twice times to get extra champagne glasses for the party. Guest services wanted a particular time and so I pulled 4:30PM off the top of my head. By 6:00 they had not arrived. I called again. Fortunately, when we got back from dinner, they were there.

The hotel has a rather rigid and inefficient policy for housekeeping. When my room had not been serviced by 4:30PM, reception told me that the hours are from some time in the morning until 5:00 in the afternoon. Many hotels have this policy. However, other hotels are more flexible if you need your room serviced earlier. The last night I was in town we were having an early dinner. Therefore, I did not want housekeeping coming in at 4:30 when I was getting dressed. I called guest services at 2:30PM that day and asked if it would be possible to have someone come by my room at 3:00 and service it. I was assured this was no problem at all. At 3:45 when I returned from the pool and needed to shower and dress, nobody had come. I called guest services and tried to be polite. I said I did not like being told confidently that something would be done and not have it done. This had been happening for three days now and I was really losing it. At 4:00 housekeeping knocked and I told the woman to come in. I said so in Spanish. Taking a look at her, I could tell that if her IQ were any lower, the hotel would have to water her three times per day. She said "no problem" and promptly disappeared. I called guest services again who told me she probably misunderstood. I don't know what there was to misunderstand when I waved her in. Then there was another knock on the door. I thought it was housekeeping. It was someone who wanted to check the minibar. I was on the phone with guest services and promptly slammed the door in the poor woman's face.

By the end of the trip I was to aggravated to keep being polite in the face of being told things would get done and not have them done until I pushed. Given that the "worker bee" staff seems to know what the problem is and given that other guests are being patient because the hotel in its current situation is relatively new, I will give it another chance. The location is great. The pool area is super. The breakfast is great.

I was also confused about the resort fee. I almost waived it, but I had the impression that the receptionist would not check me in without it. She said it was for use of the pool, business center and work out room. The whole three days I was there nobody checked on my use of any of these, so why the resort fee?

The only thing that seems to be lacking is managerial oversight. One can be patient with a new venture for only so long. Let's hope this place gets its act together.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 17th floor. The air conditioning unit for the entire hotel is on the 17th floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The James Royal Palm? Share your experiences!