“Excellent, Attentive Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent, Attentive Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a vacation in South Beach, and I wanted to be sure to write a review for the Royal Palm, particularly the staff. They were friendly and helpful and never seemed to get ruffled. Early in the trip, there was a mix up on an appointment for me at the spa. The concierge sent strawberries and sparkling wine to apologize. It was a very nice treat!

The pools were very pretty, the restaurant was good, as were the rooms. We read a lot about the "paper-thin walls," so we paid for an upgrade. Didn't hear a sound. I think my only complaint was that we felt a little nickel and dimed. I don't mind paying for good food or service, but $5 for coffee? For 8 oz of Coke? That's just a bit too far.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

843 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Myself ( katrina edwards) and 4 girlfriends stayed here for 8 days march 27th- april 4th 2013, for a bacholerette week, and will be returning! ebookers messed up our booking, but on arrival the reception staff were amazing, the german male staff member (forgot his name) was only interested in ensuring we were happy! there was no negotiation in fixing the room predicament (ebookers messed up) it was resolved immediately, and the attitude of him was an excellent one! very polite and well mannered, perfect person to be working front desk! all the reception staff were clearly dedicated to customer care! and you could see by their faces, they genuinly enjoyed their job! something you don't get in other hotels. every staff member we came across was amazing!!! always smling! always wanting to help, and so polite! well spoken, and clearly very well chosen by the hotel manager! Matthew, the manager personally made our stay memorable and we will always be thankful for his kindness and generosity, he upgraded our standard rooms ( x2) to a 3 bed apartment or the last 3 days pf our stay! and gave complimetary champagne and spa treatments to my best friend ( bride to be). the valets, were great, and t felt like family! their efforts and hard work have to be respected and appreciated, because they do a great job! love this hotel. and i will endorse to anyone to stay there! this hotel is at least 5* plus some! I have stayed in botels all over the world, and not one come close this one, smly because the staff made it perfect!!! again!!! I THANK MATTHEW (The Manager) FOR HIS COMMITMENT TO SEEING THIS HOTEL STANDS ABOVE THE REST!!!!!!!! IT DOES!!!!! THANKYOU ALL AT JAMES ROYAL PALM. Katrina Edwards (Room 924 & 1207/1209)

Room Tip: All the rooms are very boutique in design, extremely clean and the beds are crazy comfortable!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Philly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed here with my family over Easter weekend. We had two rooms. First off - the rooms are so small! But I am not going to write my review that way. Let me just tell you first what was good..

Pros:
Location
Beach access and beach amenities
Pool was not over crowded
Restaurant was good
Staff was nice
Great TVs for watch NCAA tournament

Cons:
Cleanliness - maybe they are working on this, but my room was always tidy but there was always sand on tables tops and supplies never replenished. Shabby for a hotel at this level.
Thin Walls - this can not be over looked. I could hear my neighbors conversations every morning at 6am and every evening/morning at 2am. They were not being loud or inconsiderate, this hotel just has all hard flat surfaces - their isn't much in the rooms to absorb sounds - and thin walls.
Room size - My husband and I had a room together and we were fine sharing but my sons, both over 6ft, really felt cramped. Bathroom was pretty nice though.

I would not stay here again. For the price I'm sure there are comparable properties with better housekeeping and quieter rooms. Noise was the big turn off for me! I think the hotel was probably full, so the issues I am describing may not be a factor when the hotel is only partially full. But, do you want to take a chance?

Bring ear plugs if you want to have a relaxing sleep!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Westchester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the James Royal Palm and had a wonderful experience. From the very beginning, the staff at the hotel was extremely professional, kind, and friendly. We were greeted with a smile by everyone we encountered. We particularly enjoyed the wait staff by the pool patio, the chair/umbrella people on the beach, Douglas the waiter at Catch, and the girls who worked at the coffee bar. We chatted wih so many of the staff members and felt they were just genuine, nice people. Our room was very nice, although like I see in many other reviews, I have to say that housekeeping doesn't seem to have their stuff together just yet. We stayed Monday-Friday and our room was not cleaned Thursday or Friday. We were leaving and at that point I didn't want to complain. We did find it weird that the windows in the bathroom had no curtains or blinds!! We had to hang towels so people couldn't watch us shower...

Any breakfast or lunch we had from Florida Cookery was delicious. The drinks as well. The service is a little on the slow side, but we didn't really get to bothered by this while we lounged in the sun :) Catch was amazing. We sat outside and had one of the most delicious meals we've ever had. It was pricey, but very worth it.

There was also a $21/day resort fee. I personally found this to be very worth it considering we didn't have to haggle anyone on the beach for chairs/umbrella because they were already there for us, along with bottled water and fruit! When you stay at hotels that aren't on the beach, you need to pay $20 for a chair anyway, so the resort fee didn't bother me at all.

I did book through Orbitz and feel like I got a great deal because of how far in advance we booked, but I do see the prices have gone up since. I wish they would stay reasonable so people can have the opportunity to stay here and enjoy the fabulous staff!!

We also went to the spa one day and had a wonderful experience. The view from the Spa Deck was breathtaking and the complimentary mimosas made it even better!

Overall, we said we would stay at the James again in a heartbeat. Its in a GREAT location, the staff treated us like royalty, the beach and pool were beautiful, and we were very relaxed the entire time :) Looking forward to coming back soon!!

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, you should probably pay to have an ocean view. We heard a lot of street...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Calabasas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here on the way back from Central America. The hotel is nice and under new ownership. The location is good and rooms are nice. We had a two bedroom apt, good rate and spacious. They did a great job for the kids for Easter. The rooms are thin walled and easy to hear your neighbors. Service is ok, not great and not what's would expect of this hotel. Concierge needs improvement, called multiple time and was told would get a call back and never did, not their fault, management should add more concierges, too much for one person at peak times. For the price It is a good value, would stay here again if I came back to south beach.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Patrick H, General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Lovetotraveltheworld-

Thank you for the kind words about our rooms, location and Easter festivities. I am disappointed to hear about the OK service. Certainly not what we expect from ourselves either. I appreciate the specifics regarding Concierge and we are addressing staffing. As we've only recently opened, we are tracking trends in business volume in all areas and adjusting staffing models to better manage peak periods.

I look forward to your next visit and review!

Best-
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the James Royal in mid-March for one night in an ocean-view balcony. The upgrade to the balcony was one of the best decisions we've made! The staff at the front desk were extremely helpful and professional. The lobby itself is small, but things moved quickly. Our room had one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever encountered! The view is really the selling point of the hotel- uninterrupted views of South Beach and the Atlantic Ocean.

We made use of the gym. While the gym was very small, it had everything we could want and was never crowded. The pool features a DJ on Saturday afternoons who played techno music on a loop. While it could get irritating if you're looking for an afternoon of relaxation, the experience was quintessentially "South Beach." The only draw back we could find was the hotel restaurant "Florida Cookery." Our breakfast took an hour and a half and we only ordered an omelet and granola. I'm convinced the homemade granola was actually crunched up Nature Valley bars. Eat breakfast elsewhere, but definitely stay at The James Royal Palm if you're in South Beach for the weekend.

Room Tip: Upgrade to balcony. Views spectacular.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MBOst0n

Thank you for the 5 star review and great tip on the Oceanfront King. Appreciate the kind words about the Front Desk team and complimentary Gym. The Poolside DJ was in place for the Special Event weekends of World Music Festival and Ultra, not a regular feature.

My apologies for the poor experience in Florida Cookery. Appreciate the feedback so we can fix.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best
Franklin, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This location right on Collins in the heart of South Beach on the water is after many years of visiting the area-- prime and best.
The James, like almost all South Beach and Miami properties is an old facility from the 60's... BUT you'd never know it
In November last year new owners poured millions into this renovation and the result is one of the coolest and most appealing hotels-- certainly in this area. The rooms are white and clean and modern and splashed with color and accents and art and the halls are fun and colorful and the pool area beautiful with an upper and lower pool-- walk out to the beach with attendants everywhere to help you secure comfortable lounges and bring you umbrellas and anything else you desire. Very attentive and very helpful staff throughout.
This is the South Beach you want to visit with walking to restaurants along Ocean and near to shopping on Washington and all the hot restaurants from yesterday and today like Joes and Prime
10 stars

• Stayed March 2013
Michael S-

What a review! Thank you for the great comments on our location and renovation. Working closely with Lauren Rottet, our award winning interior architect, our goal was to honor the history and Art Deco era architecture of the original Royal Palm while infusing the modern residential style of The James brand. Ms. Rottet also curated our one of a kind Art Collection to be in harmony with our desired outcome. I am pleased that you enjoyed our work,

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Patrick Hatton

Been to The James Royal Palm? Share your experiences!