“Rooms with a view of beach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $75 Daily Credit
Ranked #43 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Streatham Common Lido
“Rooms with a view of beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

was there on a business conference. Rooms are large enough and ok. though I would say that I am more used to European and Asian posh rooms. So the finishing was of a slightly lower quality. Not all rooms have a sea view though so check first. If you have one with a small balcony, great. The restaurant is rather famous and the food was different, which is nice for a change.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a view and high floor.

1,032 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited the James Royal Palm for 8 nights at the beginning of February. We travelled as a family with 2 girls aged 9 and 2. The Hotel Facilities are generally good, if not overly priced. We didn't even bother with the Restaurant food or breakfast as we had been pre-warned about the costs on Review Sites. Staff were generally very helpful and friendly, apart from a few of the sour-faced girls serving on the beach, who only seemed interested in the high-tipping boozers (I used to be one 10 years ago), who were hanging round the beach area some days. Great tough on the beach with the Water and Fruit Packs.Great beach and Pool area. I was lucky that the Resort Fees were included in my package - I would have been annoyed as some days towels / beach chairs towels were not always available. On the beach Eric was fantastic though - Great friendly service whenever he was there and look after the girls very well.

We had asked for a quiet room as we have read about the paper thin walls. We were ok most nights apart from 2. One night we endured a group of giggly girl clubbers in our room (next door) telling us about how drunk they were and how annoying the blokes in the club where, and the second night we had to listen to next door's TV and phonecalls.

We also asked for the MiniBar to be emptied as a) it was extortionate, as with most hotels, but b) We wanted it for the babies milk and groceries to be told there was a charge of $20 - Ridiculous - I told them I would empty it for free and they managed to half empty it a few days later!!!

Another few problems were the noisy airconditioning - I'll add a video later - and the cleanliness of the room (ie room cleaning) - We started off by leaving $4-5 tips each day but then stopped as the chamber maids didn't appear to clean toilets (uriney smell) or shower very much (stains after use) - Very disappointing for a 4/5 Star Hotel and tea / coffe cups weren't cleaned up or refilled in a timely manner.

Finally we had the fire alarm call - Very distressing to be woken up at 1130PM to Fire Alarm and then earcurdling PA System which didn't stop for almost 45 mins...Only an apology was given after we complained the next evening. We did however get a late check-out at 5pm on our departure date which was perfect. One other thing, double check your bill as mysterious items randomly appear.

All in all 7.5/10 - Could have been so much better if a little more attention is given to simple customer service tasks. Great location though and having said all the above we would probably stay again if things look to have improved a bit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here for business for four nights last week. Had a tremendous experience with all service interactions: front desk (c/i and c/o), the pool staff was great (food is pricey but it was worth it), and the valet was awesome! They had cold bottles of water waiting for me in my car every morning! Keep it up! I look forward to staying here again, but not for business this time so I can actually enjoy the beach and pool for more than an hour!

Room Tip: Only some of the rooms have balconies, if you don't get one with a balcony you may have a very l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Shawnathan88

Thank you for the great review regarding your recent business trip to South Beach! Glad you enjoyed the extra touch by our Valet team!

Look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the beach and pool for more than an hour! The Micheladas (beer cocktails) are a must!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great location on boardwalk/beach adjacent, a few blocks from Lincoln Road and Espanola Way, spacious room in Lanai building (code for exterior corridors). Price was fair for high season Miami Beach. Check out is civilized at 2pm. Staff: pleasant and well intended, but for most part not well trained, disorganized and no sense of urgency.

Room pluses: spacious, with comfy bed, separate sitting area, a small table/work space, lots of places to put luggage, stuff, electric outlets easy to access for computer, phone charging and such. two flat screen TVs, sub-arctic air conditioning capacity. Big bonus: this is one of the few US hotels I have stayed in thas an electric kettle/tea tray in the room so I didn't have to schlep out in the morning or wait for lukewarm coffee from room service.

What's not so hot: the AC fan rattled all night. I reported it to hotel desk with request for engineering to fix it but it was never touched/fixed during my stay. A reminder/complaint upon check out was met with a shrug/I'll make a note of it. lighting not so hot if you are there to work. On an overcast day, with blinds open, stil dim inside. Baffling: in the tropics the beds have a big heavy duvet on them...good for testing out and running the sub-arctic AC I suppose.

Noise: a symphony of noise starting at 7am: garbage trucks on one side of hotel, construction noise from room refurbishing at 7:30am, plus a 24/7 Euro disco muzak in pool, outdoor restaurants even when there is nobody using the areas. The blinds/shutters do not black out the room so if you come in late like the people down the aisle did at 5am when the bars shut down and want to sleep in, bring an eye mask and earplugs. In the Lanai tower everyone who stumbles in late can be heard quite clearly by most of the rooms across all 3 floors.

Few rooms have bathtubs so if important you may want to stay elsewhere. Other reason: the shampoo/conditioner are bolted to the wall in the shower at standing height. So if you want to use the tub there is no way to access the shampoo except to get up, or use a coffee mug to hold the stuff. Not well thought out.

Hotel restaurant: Florida Cookery - interesting menu, pretty reasonable prices for beachfront property but service is really ditzy/disorganized. It took 25 minutes to get an order of poached eggs and bacon. Three requests for salt & pepper, hot sauce and jelly for the toast netted: two sets of salt & pepper shakers, one order of ketchup, 3 bottles of hot sauce and two kinds of jelly brought by 3 separate people. If you want the full menu, sit upstairs vs at ground level patio cafe where the menu is limited.

There are several bars at the hotel. The main bar inside hotel was out of my preferred rum so I went across the courtyard to the rum bar/cigar lounge. Since there were no cigars/slow night I got a free rum tutorial from bartender who makes really interesting cocktails. Falernum was a new liqueur ingredient to me so bartender poured out a sample/solo to try - cloves ginger and citrus...funky but adds an X factor to tropical cocktails.

Check out: attempt to get stored luggage took three trys. The first two times they brought the wrong luggage and so I went into the storage room to point it out. Really sloppy.

Room Tip: high floor helps to minimize noise issues/24/7 Euro disco muzak, etc. In Lanai tower, the higher t...
hihglandbride-

Thank you for the detailed review of your stay at The James Royal Palm. While I appreciate the high marks, I am disappointed in the little things we easily could have corrected such as the AC fan issue and luggage confusion.

Great observation on the placement of amenities in the bathtubs! Will have to look at solution there.

Hope you enjoyed your rum tutorial. We carefully selected Craft bartenders with a passion for interesting and flavorful cocktails and personal service.

Thank you again. The details you provided are priceless.

Thornton, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed four nights at The James during the South Beach Wine and Food Festival. Beautiful, minimalist styling. Very courteous and helpful front staff. Very comfortable beds. There were a few, very small issues that aren't even worth mentioning. The location is perfect! Right on the beach, and the beach amenities are wonderful! You must eat at the hotel restaurant, Florida Cookery. Absolutely fabulous!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Patty C-

Thank you for the fabulous review! Glad you enjoyed the staff, decor, beds, location, beach amenioties and Florida Cookery!

Hope to see you again soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just checked out of room 1633 after staying for 3 nights for the wine and food festival. I met up with 3 girlfriends in South Beach for a long weekend to enjoy the festival. We chose this hotel due to its location.
Pros: location
Cons: service was terrible- couldn't get the bare bone basic of housekeeping down!, rooms were also tiny and poorly designed/constructed

While the hotel itself is stylish - I'm not certain what happened when it came to developing the guest rooms. Someone who has never stayed in a hotel before with tile floor decided it would look great and went for it! Poor decision and one that management needs to fix immediately - you can hear everything your neighbor is doing....from a normal tone conversation to the television....word for word. Management - really no excuse to let this continue, you can easily test this yourself and implement fixes. I was even surprised when I was leaving and at the elevator bank to still be able to hear my friends talking(we were 2 doors down from the elevator).

Service - housekeeping service was unacceptable. On Saturday our room still had not been cleaned by 3:30 so I called "guest services" ....nobody even answered! I ended up having to go downstairs to the front desk and request a room cleaning immediately. Hard to believe but the next day it got worse....as we were getting ready to leave for an event, the maid knocked on the door - I told her we would be gone by 11:30 ....could she come back then....imagine my surprise when I came back at 2pm and the room was still a disaster! I called guest services - this time somebody answered and I told them our room needed to be cleaned immediately. We left the room and I came back at 5pm to start getting ready for dinner reservations .....the room hadn't been touched! I called guest services AGAIN and explained this was the second call for the day and fresh towels were needed immediately. 30 minutes later my friends were coming up from the beach and we all decided to simply meet at the front desk as phone calls for immediate service were being ignored. We were told by a manager that towels were coming and to stop by before our dinner for a complimentary drink (not certain how this would be possible as we were going to be ridiculously late for our dinner reservation), but ultimately solved the problem by finding a housekeeper on our floor and having them get us towels. Later that night after dinner we asked that the complimentary drinks be brought to our room - even that was a hassle! I haven't seen the bill yet so not certain if they were even complimentary or not.

Stylish hotel, but when combined with poor service and loud and small rooms....not worth the price ....this hotel is struggling to get the bare bone basics right! I'll have to check out Loews next door the next time I am in town - was at a brunch there and the service was impeccable.

Room Tip: If you do stay here - be certain to get a room that does not have the ability to be an adjoining roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Patrick H, General Manager at The James Royal Palm, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
CoalMine_Canary-

Thank you for your detailed account of your experience at The James Royal Palm. I am terribly sorry that we failed to deliver the basics, much less that extras that are the cornerstone of our brand.

We will reach out to you offline to get more details so we can learn more and take immediate action to better serve our guests.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

So is The James expensive? Yes but all of south beach is. If you base it on that premise, then the James is well worth the price. It's in great location, the service is great, loved hanging by the heated pool and the rooms, while not large, were good for a couple of night's stay. All in all I would return.

• Stayed February 2013
MsNy-

Thank you for the great review of the James Royal Palm! I'm glad that you enjoyed your breif stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Patrick Hatton

Been to The James Royal Palm? Share your experiences!