“Thieves, Thieves, Thieves!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   7436 Ocean Terrace, Miami Beach, FL 33141   |
Los Angeles, California
“Thieves, Thieves, Thieves!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

If I could give a negative star I would. This place was the worst hotel experience I have had in my life. The sheets were dirty, the carpet was in worse shape I didn't want to walk barefoot in the room for fear of getting fungus, but worst of all is the fact that I left some very important items in the room that were stolen. If you value your possessions don't stay here!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Schweinfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I am an American Soldier who was assigned as a Casualty Assistance Officer to a spouse, and her family, who lost a loved one fighting the war in Afghanistan. I booked this hotel for them on my credit card. The Ocean Surf Hotel smells like sweat and musk. The air conditioning is inadequate; the elevator is out-of-order. This hotel did not provide a respectable environment for a family to plan and attend a funeral. The family checked-out ten minutes after they checked in.
I explained to the hotel manager that the government would not pay me for the room. That meant that I, a three time Iraqi vet, would have to pay over $1500 out of my pocket for a room that nobody used. The manager told me, "that is not her problem."
The hotel is horrible. The manager is willing to take advantage of a Soldier who make a bad decision while supporting a widow, and her parents, of a Soldier.
I do not want others to suffer the maddening experience that I have been through.
Counterpoint: If you are a thrifty, binge-drinking, spring breaker looking for a spot to crash between alcohol induced rage parties; this place is built for you!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

this hotel is one of a number along Ocean Terrace in N Miami Beach. It offers little in the way of extras. The hotel's great location is the best thing it has going for it, in addition to the super friendly and helpful staff. It's impossible to complain about a $69 a night rate, but sometimes you really do get what you pay for. The hotel seems to be very popular with visitors from other countires, so be ready for loud late night conversations and lots of smokers on the front porch....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Buenos Aires
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

People, I read the review titled "Stay away from this hotel" before out trip, and I thought it was an overstatement. As soon as we got there it came to my mind! I regreted we did not follow the advice. The hotel is really smelly, the elevator does not work and we had to get all our luggage ourselves (we were five) to the the third floor "by the stairs", as the assistant told us. The room was terrible, the safe did not work, the breakfast consisted on a long table, the big bottle of milk to pour in your coffee, the butter was a whole piece from where you were suppose to take for the inexistent bread, and I could go on. All this with no individual tables and chairs to sit, you could take your breakfst to the outdoor gallery (when we stayed it was a bit cold) or you could take it to your room: Very confortable to take the cup of coffee (the cup is a metaphore) three floors by the stairs... and forget about taking sth else with your only two hands.
Follow the advice and choose a different place to stay (hotel is a very important category to call this place)! No safes, no parking place, not even shampoo or enough towels.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010 via mobile

No elevator. Crappy mattress. Unhelpful staff (only one sorry soul running the entire run down place). The breakfast was laughable and pathetic and I'm still waiting for my extra blanket... Sleep on the beach the local bums will treat you better than the staff. This hell hole needs gasoline and a match

• Stayed December 2010
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I booked this hote on Expedia.com looked at the pictures of the hotel and thought gee This hotel seems good let me book it. I should have read the reviews of this hotel before i booked it. OMG this hotel is old,filthy, The smell is horrendous. The elevators dont work, So if you have a room on the third floor get ready to walk up some flghts of stairs. The complimentary breakfast they give you is pathetic, hard bagels , powdered donuts and pecan rolls , Tell me why they had this all on the table with nothing covered the cream cheese was just sitting there so fly's can sit on it , The milk and the orange juice was just sitting on the table not refrigerated or on ice to keep it cold. I have attached photos so you can see. Not once did they change the bedding in our room, and not to mention we got charged $50 because the so called said there was o blood stain on the bedding and none of us got cut, they claim they have pictures to prove it i asked for them to email me the so called pictures, im still waiting on the email havent heard back from them. would not reccomend this hotel to my worst enemy "STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' If i would have been able to get a refund and leave that filthy place i would have but it was nonrefundalbe . so i had no choice, will never ever return to this crappy hotel. And i will start looking at hotel reviews when i plan my next vacation, i learned my lesson. The view of the ocean was the best part of this crappy hotel. Oh i amlost forgot there is no free parking at this hotel. You have to feed the meter starting at 8am The hotel sells a pass for $6 and god forbid they run out of the passes you will be stuck feeding the meters all day. All in all i hated this place. Oh and if you want to use their free wifi good luck you have to sit outside in their crappy seating area. where are the seat cushions that they show on the website. What a joke this hotel sucks. Dont be fooled by the pictures you see on the website. Do not stay here. why expedia continues to make business for this hotel is beyond me they should be out of business.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Me and my usual group of friends stayed here for spring break 2009. We thought it would be good to stay here, because it had the best deal. Well we pull up and its like OMG. Not what we were expecting. They charge an extra 25 dollars a day for parking, the attendants do not speak any english, the hotel is clearly old but didnt seem to have an renovations done. I guess you get what you pay for. However its right on North Miami Beach, which was a plus, and about a 10 min drive to south beach. We caught the bus to south beach to eliminate having to go through traffic. There was a neat restuarant on the corner which had the BEST pizza. But I would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Ocean Surf Blue? Share your experiences!