“Zero Star Hotel- Don't ruin your vacation” 1 of 5 stars

You added Ocean Surf Blue to your Saves list
Ocean Surf Blue
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   7436 Ocean Terrace, Miami Beach, FL 33141   |
Mesa, Arizona
“Zero Star Hotel- Don't ruin your vacation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Do not be mislead by the pictures posted by the hotel, they are very outdated, my guess is almost 20 years old and do not represent the hotels current conditions which in my own opinion are down right disgusting.

When you first arrive, there is no parking for hotel guest, passes are required to park at the meters over night. Check in is typical, staff is friendly however everything else is down hill from there. The elevator is out of service with a sign that has cob webs on it. I later did some research and would guesstimate that it has been out over 2 years, probably because it can not pass state inspection laws..... So you need to lug all your suit cases up three flights of stairs. When walking down the hallway it looks like something from Texas Chain Saw Massacre, weird stains on the carpet , lead paint peeling, and the ceiling falling apart. We had a room with two twin beds which was very small, size is not the issue, however cleanliness is not in the hotels vocabulary.

The room has a refrigerator that idles like an 18 wheel semi which I eventually just unplugged so I didn't have to hear it.

It also has a window mounted A/C unit which barely blows out any cool air, making the room feel like a sauna.

You then enter the bathroom which is falling apart with holes in the wall, stains and hair on the floor.

My girlfriend and I were unable to get a refund so rather than leave at that point and waste our money we choose to ride it out.

We decided to take a shower with our flip flops on , however we were soon to discover there is no hot running water....

We eventually tried to get some rest in the nasty bed , which we woke up with mysterious bug bites in the morning.

I woke up like a zombie just listening to all the noise the paper thin walls would not stop. You hear every door open, then slam shut making it near impossible to get any rest whatsoever.

Day 2 was just as bad, house keeping was at our front door when we left for breakfast , however when we returned the room was just in the condition we had left it in. No fresh towels, no made bed, no cleaning was done, What kind of service is it that this place provides? Absolutely nothing.

If you want to ruin your vacation by all means stay here, that or sleep at a bus stop.

The only thing positive to say is it created a lasting memory which we captured by taking a picture at the front, Titled.

"We survived the Ocean Surf!"

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dave D

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Everything about this hotel is nasty, painting, bathroom, smell, many more...

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I wanted to have a nice getaway with my young daughter in Miami Beach. The hotel was recommended by a travel consultant as "a steal of a deal". I arrived at 10:50 at night and was surprised that the outside of the hotel appeared old and dilapidated. However, I was extremely tired and proceeded to go inside...the front desk personnel (Mauricio) told us our room #...Upon entering, I was appauled at the stench emanating from the room. It smelt like old wet carpet and if an animal had left something behind. Not pleasant at all. The elevator did not work and had a sign that said so (thank God for that because I would not have liked to be stuck in that). The carpet on the stairs were riddled with multiple stains and smelt terribly moldy. I could not believe that this hotel was recommended by the travel consultant...obviously, she had not stayed here before!! The desk personnel apologized profusely and did proceeded to offer us another room on the 2nd floor (here we went up the nasty moldy stairs AGAIN) to be yet again disgusted with a smoky, cigar smell with an airconditioner unit that seemed to hiss as the door slid open. Mind you, we did not need our door key to gain entrance to this room because the door was already partially open. So who knows who else had gained entrance into his room prior to our going in...completely upsetting experience. Then we had to trek back down the stinky stairs again to speak with the desk personnel...once again, we were greeted with an apology and he offered us another room at the hotel next door (Hawaii) and promise that this rooom MAY be better. He said to wait at the front door to be "buzzed in". How wrong he was. Shame on me for listening......the windows on the outside of the hotel were broken and the front door was wide open - obviously, the Security were not available. I could not believe that this was happening...it seemed like something out of a horror movie...if disgust, filth and stench is what you are looking for, this is the place for you!!! I then returned back to the front desk with my daugther and informed Mauricio that we could not stay in such squalor conditions and the only thing that he could retort to me was, 'contact expedia.com'. I asked for his manager's # because his cold and aloof attitude was not nice at all...especially since we were being inconvenienced in this way...I am from the Islands so I know what it is to live with very humble means...this was beyond humble. This hotel was DISGUSTING, STINK, NASTY, FOUL-SMELLING, UNAPPEALING AND NOT A PLACE FOR ANYONE TO STAY!!!! I arrived at 10:50 pm and was out by 11:15 pm

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank michelle p
Jacksonville Beach, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

OK, I read reviews so I knew what I was getting myself into. Got that out of the way. The hotel was in a nice area of North Beach, the outside is cute-art deco style. Next door is a Days Inn with a casual food menu & drinks where you can sit outside. No problem there. Front desk guy was very cordial, check-in was painless, room key worked first time around. Elevator was under renovation so had to lug the luggage & cooler up a flight of stairs. Here are the list of issues:
1) MAJOR paint peeling in the bathroom & shower stapled together, moldy shower curtain
3) Only 2 small soaps, no shampoo, lotion or anything, only no toilet paper on the roll, one spare roll I had to install.
4) Only 2 towels, no wash cloths or hand towel, no ice bucket. Asked front desk & got 2 more regular sized towels & a plastic bag for ice.
5) No air in bathroom, VERY HOT!
6) TV remote didn't work at all.
7) Refrigerator in the room but wasn't cold, had a cooler with ice so didn't futz with it. Could be turned down or something.
8) 2 small beds were comfy enough, appeared to be clean. I could see where the mattress was pretty much coming apart in the corners but we slept fine.
9) "Window" style A/C unit was loud but felt it kept the small room (not bathroom) cool & comfy enough. I don't mind the noise, I sleep with a loud fan for white noise anyway. No noise came in from outside or the hallways either.
10) They charge $2/day for the room safe whether you use it or not. It's OK for me because I like having one anyway.

Overall I wouldn't make a big effort to stay here again but I wouldn't NOT stay here if there wasn't something else, the price was better than some places & like I said, I read the reviews. I'm just being honest so others can make their decision based on ALL the facts - good, bad, indifferent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank JoniAbel
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

The bathrooms are disgusting. The only thing they gave us were tiny soap bars. Three girls without shampoo or conditioner...are you kidding me? Luckily there is a cvs nearby. We found airline tickets in the room that weren't ours. That within itself speaks for the cleanliness. The front desk staff was slow, unfriendly, and one guy hardly spoke english. I regret not dishing out the extra money to stay at brand hotel. The only reason I'd stay here is because of the location and the fact that it was right on the beach....but it rained the whole weekend. And all I have to say, is im happy I didn't wake up with bed bug bites.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Manchester, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The room was very small for two people. It was a very old room; the door lock was creaked making the room very unsecured. In its web page advertising, they said that the room has a nice TV set, with premium channels; however, the TV set was an old model (1990's) 20''inch. wide. No premium channels, just basic cable with a very bad reception. The complementary "breakfast" was: coffee, old bread (perhaps from the day before), cream cheese, milk, orange juice, and cereal. The same every single day.
Also, we were without hot water for two consecutive mornings; and, the elevator was broken during our entire stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in higher floors have nice view of the ocean, and some of them have balconies.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Spokane, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was the worst hotel I ever stayed at. The first thing we asked at the front desk is if we can get a refund... And unfortunately we could not.. So we stayed a first 3 nights, and then left to a different hotel down the street. The ocean surf ruined our vacation. I had 8 month baby with me,and the beds were so grouse I didn't want him to lay on it. It is very dirty and old...Huge cockroaches in the bathroom and in the room !!! And I think we got bitten by bed bugs.
The only good thing is outside the hotel - the beach.

Room Tip: do not stay here.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family