“A perfectly nice boutique hotel - we'd love to return” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Upgrade to Kaskades Suite
Ranked #39 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New Mexico, USA
“A perfectly nice boutique hotel - we'd love to return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I'm typing this review on the lovely terrace of the Gale Hotel's Room 401, overlooking Collins Avenue, with a view of the ocean and such classic architecture as the Delano, the National and the Ritz Plaza (directly across the street). There's a lovely breeze cooling the sea-smelling air and the curtains of our daybed/cabana are moving along with the leaves of the potted lime sharing the c. 15'x15' marble-floored verandah with a comfy sofa, chairs and a coffee table (provided with an ashtray handy for a cigar on this otherwise smoke-free property). (No pets, either, BTW.) Life is good.

The Gale is a cozy boutique hotel - better than just fine. The building and furnishings are spotless, in nice shape and pay graceful homage to the Art Deco theme of the district, the AC works and the hallways are kept frosty cold (appreciated when one steps off a muggy afternoon street), the rooftop pool is nicely thought-out (tho utterly devoid of shade - watch yourself). WiFi is strong and free (tho a teensy bit of a hassle, requiring a daily log-in). The smaller rooms (e.g., my aunt's Signature Terrace) are a bit cramped and don't have extra seating; the larger ones (like our Signature Grande) have a couple small seats (no desk) and a small table. There's not a lot of storage space (a small closet in the Grande - you'll want to pull the luggage rack out from under the bed and utilize the small linen bin that's under there, too) and the hotel takes up some of the flat area with a big tray of souvenir stuff you might want to buy. Nice robes are provided - there's no iron, but a provided steamer works surprisingly well.

The sleep quality was terrific - the rooms are well insulated from sound (while some of the louder Collins Avenue noises intruded, it was no big deal) and the bed is super-comfortable. The shower was fine, though the bathroom lighting was hilariously unflattering. (As you've no doubt read: there is a slider separating the commode from the bedroom in the smaller Signature Terrace rooms, a full door separates the bathroom from the bedroom in the larger Signature Grande rooms. There is a vent fan in the bathrooms.) A small, fully stocked fridge (not weight sensitive - feel free to stock your own stuff, said the bell guy), a safe and two really comfy robes (better than those at much more expensive places) round it out. Natural light everywhere, and lots of it (from the big windows, with easy-to-use and nice looking shades). When closed up, the room is totally dark, encouraging you to sleep late.

(Recommendation: if you're more traditional and maybe less hip to the idea of small boutique hotels, spare yourself trauma and book a Signature Grande room. The Signature Terrazo rooms are on the small side - but at least have a terrace.)

The location is terrific. We were concerned about not staying directly on the beach (where we've stayed on prior trips to South Beach and Bal Harbour), but found that it's faster and easier to cruise out the door of the Gale and pop a straight shot across at the light to the beach than it is to weave out through the pool and gates and clutter of the beachfront properties where we've stayed (I'm particularly talking to you, Lowe's . . . ). It's also closer to the Collins Road dining, the shopping/activity of Lincoln Road, etc., and convenient for cabs/buses to Bal Harbour shops - or to Downtown/Brickell. In our experience, the Gale's location is kinda perfect - not what we would have _guessed_, but what we found to be the case.

We found Gale's service to be mostly pretty darned great: most of the people we encountered couldn't seem happier to help with whatever we might have needed. The front desk, the bell staff, the pool bar people - they were fabulous. We try hard to be polite and understanding and tip well, but the friendly spirit was there up front, before any of these things. Nice work.

I can't be as delighted with the housekeeping staff: they were friendly and ultimately did a nice job, but some seemed either overscheduled, new to the job, or somewhat confused/disorganized. Room service was really late a couple days (the second turn-down visit isn't too handy when the initial cleaning was only an hour before) and there were some communication difficulties. Now, I hate to be critical here and I don't want any apologies or, Heaven forbid, repercussions: this is no big deal - everyone has to learn as they go, and it's a hard job. And some housekeepers we encountered were really efficient. But, this _is_ a review, and I can't honestly say that we found the overall housekeeping service was quite up to what we'd usually find in a boutique hotel of this sort. Well-meaning, sure: "on it?," maybe not so much.

Management sent an unintrusive text message a day or two after we'd arrived, asking if everything was going well and whether there was anything they could do for us. I mentioned that the latch to the patio door was in the late stages of breaking and that the hot/cold dial on the shower was coming off. Moments later, an engineer sprinted to the room. Nice - more evidence of caring management service. Oh, and while I've been typing this, I've just received another text asking for feedback on our stay. Nice.

(Now, for what it's worth, the staffs at Dolce and the Regent Cocktail Club - located in the Gale, but apparently not under the same management - were a little rockier. About 1/4 of these workers we encountered were really great, 1/4 were indifferent, and 1/2 were, frankly, pretty jerky (ignoring the only customers until approached). No big deal - it happens . . . but it's not the sort of service one would expect for the tariff and ZIP code. I mention this only because people staying at the Gale might want to know: this does not reflect on my high opinion of the Gale itself.)

(Another aside: I'd think twice before bringing small kids to the "grown up"-feeling Gale. I saw several families with small kids - all well behaved - but watched one running girl slip and fall on the marble steps, nailing her shin pretty good. She and her mom handled it well, but there aren't soft edges in the lovely decor of the Gale. While they seem to love the pool and the easy beach access, I'd personally hold off till the kids were a little older.)

The Gale itself? A solid four stars: my wife agrees we'd love to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you like space, seriously think about springing for the Signature Grande.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Anamaria T, Manager at Gale South Beach, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Erich505,

Simply amazing! Thank you for this detailed review and the wonderful comments. We feel truly happy to have met your expectations during your recent stay. We appreciate your honest feedback and rest assured we will address all areas that need improvement to match a clear 5 star experience. On behalf of the Gale Team, we are all looking forward to your next visit.

Ana.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Fab location - for beach and Lincoln road. Lovely room - compact (though not much space for unpacking) and clean, comfy bed and good shower. Friendly and helpful reception, bellhop and concierge (small downside was restaurant staff a little stand-offish and service was slow but not enough to affect the rating), cocktail bar great but a bit pricey. Transparent 25 dollar charge for beach (non- negotiable even though we did not use these facilities, however do get 15 dollars off drinks/food but confirm what this includes (not minibar)). Fab rooftop pool and views. Atmospheric decor. All in all had a great stay and would choose the Gale again and recommend.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear traatki,

Thank you for choosing the Gale South Beach on your recent visit to Miami and for taking the time to write this review. We are happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be helpful and friendly. Will definitely share your impression of the restaurant staff with their managers as our goal is to provide a seamless experience to all our Guests. We hope you will return soon.

Ana
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

The Gale has been a great experience!! The rooms were very clean and the pool small and quiet! I really like the secure feeling I had at this hotel with having to scan your key card to use the elevator and to get on your floor I felt very safe! The location was excellent with a 2 minute walk to lincoln rd and all the shops! Would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014
Anamaria T, Manager at Gale South Beach, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Njmargiotta40,

We are happy to hear you have had a memorable experience at the Gale and felt safe being our Guest. Our rooftop pool seems to be a favorite amongst our Guests due to its panoramic views of the ocean and the city which serve as a great background while sunbathing and enjoying a refreshing cocktail. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

What a wonderful hotel! I stayed at The Gale for one night before I cruised out of Miami and I was actually disappointed getting on the boat. I went back and forth on hotels in the Miami Beach/South Beach area and kept coming back to this very cool, historic, art deco hotel with modern amenities. I was a little apprehensive in booking because sometimes the smaller boutique hotels in historic areas are sometimes not kept up as well and/or only updated in the areas shown in the pictures. When I checked in I was wowed - not only did we have a great room with character with cool fixtures, comfy beds, great bathroom and super approachable/helpful staff, the hotel also had a Italian restaurant with a wonderful patio, which had fantastic pizzas and great people watching, a beautiful laid back bar with live music and a modern coffee bar that was handy the next morning. Even with all the great restaurants in the region, I had all my meals in Miami in our hotel. I never write reviews but felt I needed to chime in on The Gale. If I was walking around exploring the South Beach area The Gale is definitely one that I would say, "I wish I was staying there." Luckily, this time I was.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Lesli F,

Luckily you chose us and we are thrilled to hear we have met your expectations! The Gale Hotel has recently been remodeled and we are proud to be a luxury boutique hotel with an Art deco inspired design. Dolce Italian stays true to its name by representing an authentic italian cuisine that made the restaurant a favorite among tourists as well as locals. Please visit us again soon!

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We can't begin to say enough wonderful things about our recent stay at The Gale Hotel. Everything was perfect, from the location to the staff to the room size and the "terrazzo". We go to South Beach every year 2 times and moving forward, will only be staying with The Gale. We want absolutely be back, looking forward to our next trip! Thank you Gale Hotel!!! This place is a true gem.

Room Tip: Take signature terrazzo... is the best room that we ever hat.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Tom187337,

We are flattered by your wonderful comments regarding our staff and your overall experience at the Gale. Thank you for being our Guests and choosing the Gale to be your home away from home while in Miami. We look forward to your next visit as well and will make sure to reserve a beautiful terrazo room for you, just contact us at galeguest@meninhospitality.com to make the arrangements.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The hotel itself is very nice with a lovely pool and cool design. However the loud live music coming from the bar at night until 1am made it impossible to sleep even with ear plugs (we're talking full PA system, clashing cymbals and cabaret singing) When I complained I was told they get the same complaint every night and they were sorry but there was nothing they could do.
For me the main purpose of a hotel is to sleep and so although everything else was fine, it can't serve it's main purpose while it continues to also try to be a live music venue.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Katesta7,

We apologize for the noise disturbance you have encountered on your stay at the Gale. We have had reduced the hours for the live entertainment in the Regent Cocktail bar in an effort to prevent this disturbance for the rooms located in the vecinity of this venue. Thank you for the praising words regarding our design and pool. We hope to get a second chance for a future visit and will ensure to arrange for you a comfortable stay.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We lucked out and got a fabulous corner room (another group in our party got a much smaller one, though still pleasant). Wonderful showers. Restaurant has great food, including the most amazing pizza! Service was constant (including delightful morning texts to see if we needed anything) and pleasant. An easy walk to many attractions. My only critique... as a mom... the pool scene, on the roof, was more for a party crowd, less for families.
I would very highly recommend the Gale.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear landMom,

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review on your recent stay at the Gale Hotel. Located in the heart of South Beach and just walking distance to all the main attractions, we are striving to be more than just a boutique hotel. At the Gale our goal is to create memorable experiences for all our Guests through outstanding service and amazing amenities. I am very happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay and liked the room you were assigned. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Ana.

Been to Gale South Beach? Share your experiences!