“Great location in heart of south beach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay More = Save More!
Ranked #33 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
FL
“Great location in heart of south beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I went for a company trip so I don't know how much it cost, my only complaint, which applies to most of the south beach hotels is the thinness of the walls. You can hear everything in the hallways, again that's been my experience at most south beach hotels. Really cool spaces there, plenty of things to do in the hotel as well as outside. Didn't get to make it to pool, just a quick overnight stay. Word of advice, it took us over 30 minutes to get our car from valet, call ahead!

• Stayed March 2013

544 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I liked the hotel. Location was perfect. Nicely decorated. First I was given a room without a window, so had to change to the smaller one for the same price. There was only little cupboard in my room (couldn't fit in long dresses). They do not have kettle in the rooms, but nice ladies in the downstairs bar provided hot water for my daily tea.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We recently stayed at the Gale for one night on a pass through to St. Thomas. As many other people comment, the hotel is beautiful and full of vintage classic charm, a style I personally really enjoy and one of the reasons I booked the room. The location is great, right across from the beach, bike stations and lots of shops and restaurants. The pool was beautiful, we went for a night swim amid the scenic south beach sky line, one of the best views I thought. We had 2 couples share the double room (2 queen beds). Rooms were nice but definitely on the small side if you are sharing. There is no way we would have had space to actually unpack items had the 4 of us been staying an extended time period. If you are looking for space and have more then a couple, I wouldn't recommend it for an extended length. However if you want a really comfortable bed and a place to crash, it's good. Our only really issue was with the open bathroom, no one would shower since there was no door and it was exposed into the room through the mirrors. We were only there for one night so it worked but take it into consideration if you are sharing a room. We didn't eat on site but the lounge in the back had an amazing atmosphere and incredible classic mojitos. We stayed over a Monday night, I do think it was a bit overpriced and I booked way in advance paying $300 before the resort fee; rates were up to $400 by the time the trip arrived. Overall, it’s a really cool boutique hotel with a lot of amenities on site and a great location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

THE GOOD
First, let's start with the good. This hotel has been beautifully restored, and has terrific finishes. It is clean as a whistle and feels like a private club. There are 2 bars (the rear bar is quiet and discreet) and a coffee/espresso bar in the lobby as well. The food at the in-house italian restaurant is above average... especially at lunch. Bedding in the rooms is well done. The hotel pool is small but adequate. It is located in a prime location (although noisy) and across the street from the SLS, where you'll find Katsuya as well as other award-winning restaurants. 3 minute walk to Lincoln and superb shopping. Sleek and stylish. "Hip" spot at the moment.

THE BAD
Well, unless you are shelling out major dollars, your room is going to be the tiny. Our $400 a night room was so small, there was no room for a chair. There is no real "closet", only a cubby above the mini-bar. The TV is mounted to the wall to save space... but we had to manage our suitcases from the floor. The bathroom is well designed, but not a private space at all (if a maid were to open the door, she would look directly into the glass shower). Finally, our room had a view of an alley stuffed with garbage dumpsters.... this for $400 a night (a "signature" room). The room is well appointed, and clean... just WAY too small for Miami Beach... NYC yes.... Miami no. Also, if you need quiet to sleep, you are going to have a problem... but this isn't a Gale problem, this exists from one end of Miami Beach to the other.

THE UGLY
Well, when you launch a new hotel, you are going to have staff issues, and the Gale has many. First and foremost, the service in the lobby restaurant and bar is horrific. One more than one occasion, I witnessed hotel guests getting up and leaving as they were simply ignored.... this is especially a problem at breakfast. The "day" manager, who received the brunt a many complaints - responded to the hotel guests "Sorry you have had issues, but that is not my shift"... instead of listening, and responding with an apology. Paying this type of room rate, you certainly would expect better service/staff in the food service areas... so this is something the Gale needs to improve on asap. The morning wait staff looks like they rolled in from a 6am club closing... so management here needs to source a morning staff that will show up and greet hotel guests the way the expect to be greeted. Also, opening at 7:30am means you are OPEN at 7:30 and have everything in place to serve... it doesn't mean that you are JUST then putting on coffee, looking for your pastries and spending 25 minutes trying to located the frothing pitcher the night barista misplaced the night before.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I like the Gale and what they have set out to do here. This hotel group has good ideas and a track record of operating quality properties... The Gale can be one of the gems in the group... but the service will need to GREATLY improve. Note to the Gale folks (and something I am sure you know).... great service can mend many other complaints (small rooms, rates, noise, etc) - and keep guests coming back. I have no doubt you'll address your front of house issues and rise to the occasion.

Room Tip: Opt for a signature terrazo is space is important to you... otherwise, expect a tiny european styled...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been to South Beach many times, but this trip was definitely one of the best, due in part to our hotel. The Gale was a GREAT place to stay. The location is great -- 1 block from the beach, walking distance from restaurants and shopping on Lincoln Rd, and easy to get around generally. It was a good home base for us. Additionally, the restaurant has great food, the pool deck on the roof has amazing views, the terrace is a great place to chill & have a drink before heading out, and the lounge towards the back of the hotel offers a quieter refuge if you want to escape the hustle-bustle on Collins Ave. The rooms are well-appointed (GREAT job on their renovation) - I love the decor. The only observations I have is that the shower area is not so private (not an issue if you're traveling solo or with your partner), and an extra garbage can (aside from the one in the bathroom) would be helpful. Other than that, I loved our room.

But really what meant the most is how WONDERFUL the customer service was. Everyone - the managers, the wait staff, the concierge desk (Gily from the Gale!), the bartenders, the bellhop staff -- were all so friendly and helpful. They made all the difference for us.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are quieter, if that is your preference. I never expect South Beach in gener...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

How anyone can give this hotel less than a 5 star is beyond me. I myself am a manager in the hospitality business, and as such did my research, granted while some of the negative reviews made me hesitant I rolled the dice and booked my stay for a 3 night weekend. What was the result? an amazing vacation that has left me thinking of booking my next stay in 2 months. From the customer service, to the art deco furniture and the rootop pool all was top notch. In fact, I felt that some of the reviews did not do this property justice so I have added some pictures. As for the noise, aka music, it was a non issue and I actually found myself at their bar and club more than anywhere else chatting it up with the locals and other hotel guest who had nothing but great feedback from their experiences. For any of these guest that complain about the music, heres a thought, vacation in Boca, this is South Beach. To the Gale and the staff, I will see you soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is not a hotel. It is a night club with rooms. It's a shame because the renovation is wonderful. But the noise issue is ridiculous. Admittedly I should have researched my trip more since I ended up in South Beach during the Ultra Music festival. But the festival was far less of an issue than the booming base from the bar in my own hotel, which continued until 5 am. I had read the reviews after booking the Gale and was aware of complaints about the music. It was far worse than described. Even though I requested a room away from the music, I was placed on the second floor. The room was vibrating from the base. The staff at the desk and concierge were friendly but the service in the restaurant was very slow. A man in a suit who appeared to be in charge of the restaurant was gruff and indifferent. Big changes are needed at this hotel. I can only think that they make more money on the nightclub than on hotel rooms, otherwise I can't imagine why they would permit such extremely loud music at 3am.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Gale South Beach? Share your experiences!