“50 something's find right balance of fun and sun on Southbeach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%!
Ranked #64 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, IL
“50 something's find right balance of fun and sun on Southbeach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This property is a nice alternative to our experience at the W on Southbeach. It certainly does not have the swagger of the W, but still delivered much of what we anticipated. The pool is small, but rarely crowded, in the pool. Water temp during this week's cool temps was warm and comfortable. When we arrived at 2 PM on a Thursday afternoon, there were no more lounge chairs. Eddy, the pool butler brought some over from the beach. The process took about 20 minutes, but I appreciated that he made it work. The frozen grapes and variety of sun tan lotions were another plus. The hotel did attract some children and I would have preferred to not have heard the continuous 'Marco Polo'.

Being Hilton diamond members was rewarded with complimentary continental breakfast which included great fruit, meats and a good selection of breads. My wife up charged to the full Buffett for $5 and had a made to order omelette, which she enjoyed. I do not agree with a previous post that this up charge is a negative. It seams fair. Service was hit or miss. Our requests for water, twice, were ignored until after we had finished breakfast. The second waitress realizing her delay brought us a big designer bottle of water and then Mimosa's. She seemed very sorry. Too bad we really didn't want the mimosas. They also did not seam to understand herbal tea, but after a while, they did find some.

We reserved a delux city view and were told we got an upgrade to a higher floor, the 9th, in the west building. The room was not ready until after 4 PM and they did not call me as promised, so I called at 4:30 and was told it was ready now. We were told to go to the 4th floor, cross over to the second elevator and go to the 9th floor. I thought this was a pain. By our second day we figured out that you could ride the west building elevator all the way to the street, you exit next to the parking garage. You just have to walk a short way to re-enter the lobby.

The room was of good size with an excellent bathroom and very comfortable bed. I was surprised that there was no couch, just some fabric chairs and a small glass table. The balcony in room 914 was very large. The view was interesting over Miami and the port. The cable service was the best I have seen with all the movie channels and on demand, not fee based, but through HBO, Showtime, etc.

The street noise is mostly blocked, but there is a busy restaurant just below our room. It seams that drivers after 11 PM need to blow their horns to show how important they are. By midnight, this seemed to be over. By 8 AM, the sounds of construction vehicles backing up could easily be heard too, from a project 2 blocks away.

We noticed, while on the deck, how well noise traveled. It was fairly noisey out side on the deck, and walking back in, the sliding glass door did a good job for most of it. Compared to our night at the W two years ago and the boom boom of the dance club til 4 AM, this was an improvement.

We enjoyed our dinner at 'A Fish Called Avalon' a nice 7 block walk and lunch at Niki Beach next door. We also parked at Niki Beach for 3 days for $10 per day, much cheaper than the Hilton. They allowed in and out privliages.

We enjoyed the walk just south of the Hilton into South Beach Park. The path between the pool and the beach is dirt at the Hilton, but becomes paved just a few 100 yards south, great for jogging, people watching, and views of Miami.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We spent 7 nights at the Bentley in early March. The first two nights were were in a smaller room and then we were moved to a much nicer room for the remaining 5 nights. The service at this hotel is exceptional. People are always saying hello and offering to help. The pool is small but very nice and the food at the pool and beach was very good - we split a lunch there everyday. We also ate in both restaurants in the hotel. Prime Italian is very good - portions are HUGE so you can share. The Cuban restaurant in the hotel is also very good. They have an amazing tapas menu that is $5 during happy hour.

We would certainly come back here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the East Building, even if it's not a water view. We were on the 9th floor...
Cranbury, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We spent 50,000 points to spend a night here the first week of March. We were in South Beach for our anniversary, but our first choice of hotel (Please see my Ritz-Carlton South Beach review) did not have availability for the first night of our trip. We decided to use our points and stay here based on favorable reviews and photos of the pool and beach on the web site. It was pretty disappointing.

The location is good in that it is right on the beach. There are good dining choices in the immediate vicinity (Prime 112 across the street and DeRodriguez Cuba right in the lobby). Right next door is Nikki Beach Club so you can stumble into bed with ease if you are a club-goer. On the bad side, this end of the strip is a little dicey in that the 5th street area attracts some characters of lower socio-economic status, is full of closed buildings covered in scaffolding under construction and has lots and lots of police presence.

The hotel is very, very clean. Right up there among the cleanest I have ever seen. To balance that out, aside from the very fragrant spa, there is an odor in the hallways reminiscent of the projects in the Bronx of my youth. Seriously. It takes me right back to visiting my Grandpa in the early 1970s in his public housing apartment building in the Bronx. Gross.

Upon arrival, we were greeted at the desk with wishes for a Happy Anniversary and claims that we were upgraded and that we should be very happy. I was pretty sure that I was not going to have my socks knocked off when we were given a room on a low floor. No one offered to help us with luggage and there was no luggage cart in sight. Luckily we did not have much baggage and found our way upstairs. The hallways (in addition to the above-mentioned odor) are very depressing and outdated. Like 1950s motel. The doors to each room and the frames are metal, painted a taupe-y brown. To give it some pizzazz (and I assume to justify the price of the room rate), each door is "framed" with a burnished gold type gilded picture frame. Um ... ya didn't fool me.

We entered our room and found a little kitchenette efficiency type set up with a sink, mini fridge, microwave, upper and lower cabinets. This was fine, but it was all pretty old. The bathroom was floor to ceiling marble complete with bidet, large soaking tub and separate glass shower. This was all fine except for the door stop on the floor right between the toilet and bidet. We were in the room for all of 15 hours and both of us managed to stub our toes on it even in shoes and knowing that it was there. Terrible, thoughtless design.

The room had a little balcony which overlooked a courtyard with a hot tub and sun deck. This was fine. The issue is that the wall area surrounding the sliding glass doors is metal. I am sure there is a reason for this, but the condensation makes a HUGE puddle on the floor in front of the sliders. I guess better a puddle on the floor than wet, moldy sheetrock, but I was not impressed.

We planned to dine at DeRodriguez Cuba that evening, but they were closed for a private party. Shame on me for not making a rez. We asked the front desk for a recommendation for a similar restaurant and they sent us to the most horrific tourist trap of Gloria Estefan's Lario's. When the front desk guy talked it up as Gloria Estefan's place, we quickly corrected him that we are foodies from NY who do not wish to each at a place like that and he shrugged and said it's either that or a diner. Really? We ate at OLA later in the trip and wondered why this buffoon had not suggested it.

The bed, pillows and mattress were all comfortable and we slept well. I did not hear any construction from next door, but I think we were up before it started. We really heard it when we came outside. The room is pretty small, but no different than in any major city.

The next morning was too cold to swim, but we walked out to the pool area. It is TINY. They have lots of cabanas and employees out there, though. I can't speak about the service, but they certainly had the man-power. They all looked busy hosing down the pool deck and setting up the lounge chairs and cabanas. There is a little gate that takes you out to the beach. This is all nice and convenient.

Bottom line, for the price I would absolutely not stay here! Their rack rates are the same as the Ritz-Carlton. You cannot compare the two. They are like night and day. If you have points or whatever then by all means you will have a clean, safe place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonBentley, General Manager at Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Happy Anniversary! We appreciate being included with this special occassion. Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your first experience with us. I regret it was not as wonderful as you expected. We appreciate your feedback and are very sorry you were unhappy with our hotel decor and prices. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to South Beach.

Kind regards,

John Laclé, General Manager
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Was worried to stay here after reading some of the negative reviews. I was very pleased to see that any/all of the negative reviews were WRONG! The hotel was very clean. The staff couldn't be any friendlier or more helpful. Myself and 4 of my kids (19 and up) stayed in one of the Suites and LOVED IT! Very comfortable and roomy. Definitely stay here again and would recommend anyone else to stay too.

Room Tip: pay the extra money for the suite if you are traveling with family. Suites have full refrigerator...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Let me start by saying the location of the Hilton Bentley is second to none 100 yard walk to the start of south beach what more can be said

We had a part sea view suite I thought it was a good room with a little kitchenette in my opinion these should be dropped as when your in Miami you want to eat out and enjoy yourself the room did need a lick of paint in my opinion

We stayed before we started our cruise and maybe we should have done more research as it was myself ,wife and our 3 year old daughter the pool area is not set up for young children and for this I would properly not stay here again

We come at the start of spring break and there is a day/ night club right next door that played music from 11 till late as if it was in the room with us..

All in all a good hotel but not a great one

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Park Ridge, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was our 6th stay at the Bentley and as always had a wonderful time. Only booked once through Hotel and the other times through unitowners. We stayed for a week and the proximity of the hotel makes it easy to get around to almost anywhere you want to go. Great restaurants in the area. Ate at Prime, Fogo, LoLaconda and D Rodriguez. We enjoyed D Rodriguez so much. Menu with wide variety of wonderful dishes and most of all our waiter Alfredo was fantastic and so accomodating. We actually ate there 3 times! All staff professional and friendly happy to cater to your needs. Thank you Bentley for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Like higher floors, have better views especially ocean views.
Cosby, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We travel to Miami Beach once every ten years to dine at one of our favorite spots, Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant which by the way just celebrated their 100 year birthday. I wanted to go down in December, but found the South Beach hotel prices way beyond our means. I kept an eye on the prices at the Hilton Bentley until I found a rate of $284.05 per night. That was still more than I wanted to pay, but the options for a nice place were limited. I booked a studio and was offered an upgrade to their 1 king 1 bedroom suite "City View" for only 41,971 points more on my Hilton Honors account. I had never used any of the points over the last 20 years so why not? I can usually figure that a loyalty point is worth one cent, so I gave them $419.71 in addition to the $641.04 in cash for the two night stay. That came to a grand total value of $1,060.75 for the two nights. That did not count in the $70 required valet parking fee for the car.

I hate to admit it, but that was the most expensive hotel we have ever stayed at in our 47 years of marriage.

The hotel is great. Staff were exceptional even to the point of knowing your name after only one interaction. The Cuban restaurant on site was fun and interesting with some novel dishes for us to try at lunch. All dinners were at Joe's Stone Crab, two blocks away. Beautiful marble existed throughout the common areas and rooms including the bath.

Now the slight nomenclature issues we experienced. You might remember I indicated we paid for a City View Suite. We were in suite #602 on the north side of the building. Our view was totally encompassed by the next residential building about 50 feet away. If we strained looking to the east we could see a small strip of ocean. To the west we strained to see some construction of a new condo going up. Management needs to work on properly describing the rooms. This property is what is called a "Condo Hotel", and is quite common in Miami Beach. Each unit is individually owned, but managed by Hilton. This being the case there are discrepancies in the furnishings and features in the rooms. Our room has flat screen TV's in the living room and bedroom, but only the living room was high definition. The bedroom unit was a nice TV, but without the proper signal it is a waste of money. The kitchen had a nice fridge in it with a working ice machine, but the water dispenser did not operate. Was it turned off so you would have to buy the bottled water at $4.00 a pop?

Again, we enjoyed our stay and I hope that the sales team works a little harder on their promotional material.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter due to the "Club" scene on the south side that goes la...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach? Share your experiences!