“Nice hotel with nomenclature problems...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%!
Ranked #52 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Cosby, Tennessee
“Nice hotel with nomenclature problems...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We travel to Miami Beach once every ten years to dine at one of our favorite spots, Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant which by the way just celebrated their 100 year birthday. I wanted to go down in December, but found the South Beach hotel prices way beyond our means. I kept an eye on the prices at the Hilton Bentley until I found a rate of $284.05 per night. That was still more than I wanted to pay, but the options for a nice place were limited. I booked a studio and was offered an upgrade to their 1 king 1 bedroom suite "City View" for only 41,971 points more on my Hilton Honors account. I had never used any of the points over the last 20 years so why not? I can usually figure that a loyalty point is worth one cent, so I gave them $419.71 in addition to the $641.04 in cash for the two night stay. That came to a grand total value of $1,060.75 for the two nights. That did not count in the $70 required valet parking fee for the car.

I hate to admit it, but that was the most expensive hotel we have ever stayed at in our 47 years of marriage.

The hotel is great. Staff were exceptional even to the point of knowing your name after only one interaction. The Cuban restaurant on site was fun and interesting with some novel dishes for us to try at lunch. All dinners were at Joe's Stone Crab, two blocks away. Beautiful marble existed throughout the common areas and rooms including the bath.

Now the slight nomenclature issues we experienced. You might remember I indicated we paid for a City View Suite. We were in suite #602 on the north side of the building. Our view was totally encompassed by the next residential building about 50 feet away. If we strained looking to the east we could see a small strip of ocean. To the west we strained to see some construction of a new condo going up. Management needs to work on properly describing the rooms. This property is what is called a "Condo Hotel", and is quite common in Miami Beach. Each unit is individually owned, but managed by Hilton. This being the case there are discrepancies in the furnishings and features in the rooms. Our room has flat screen TV's in the living room and bedroom, but only the living room was high definition. The bedroom unit was a nice TV, but without the proper signal it is a waste of money. The kitchen had a nice fridge in it with a working ice machine, but the water dispenser did not operate. Was it turned off so you would have to buy the bottled water at $4.00 a pop?

Again, we enjoyed our stay and I hope that the sales team works a little harder on their promotional material.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter due to the "Club" scene on the south side that goes la...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Close to the strip on Ocean Drive but far enough to be away from the hubub there. This is an awesome hotel, with great staff and a fantastic beach - only drawback is price is a bit steep and our sleep was disturbed by noise from Nikki Beach Club next door. Would not recommend staying here during Ultra week.

Room Tip: Rooms on west and north side will be quieter
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at a number of high end properties over the years and this one was great. Perfect South Beach location, staff was outstanding, room was excellent. Easy to get around South Beach and a great park/marina within a couple of blocks. Would go back again without hesitation!

Bethel, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Used Hhonors points for a five night stay in April 2012. We booked the lowest category room and our room was very nice- not an ocean view but we could see Biscayne Bay- I wasn't expecting to have any view at all.
The room was great- very clean, fantastic bathroom with tub, nice big balcony with chairs. Loved every bit of it. I felt very comfortable and secure there, we did not even use the room safe.
We did not rent a car and didn't miss it from this location (valet parking fees were probably the same as the daily car rental rate so it didn't seem worth it). We took a walk to a drugstore and picked up booze, water, soda, snacks. We ate at the Asian restaurant (Phillipe) across the street, also ate one evening at Smith & Wollensky in South Pointe Park. We walked everywhere from the park to Lincoln Rd and everywhere in between. It was good to get some exercise in our otherwise gluttonous vacation!
The beach was nice. Pretty quiet... Service was a bit slow but we didn't mind. Loungers were comfortable. We brought our own thermos cups and asked the pool bartender for as much ice as we could fit in a small collapsable cooler and made our own drinks at the beach.
We spent happy hour at de Rodriguez one afternoon. Great apps and drinks! Bartender was very friendly, great service. A definite must do if you're staying here.
I had contacted the hotel a month in advance to request a balcony (I guess a couple of rooms don't have one) and when we arrived at the hotel The guy who checked in remembered me! I wish I could remember his name, he was very nice.
Our room overlooked Prime 112 across the street. We spent a couple evenings people watching, it was very interesting. There were Ferraris and Bentlys parked outside every night.
I would definitely stay here again, in fact we are strongly considering it for our next getaway this fall.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is not one of your dirty, old, Art Deco buildings on Ocean. It's located in the lower numbers (1st & Ocean). I find it to be in a quiet area across the street from Prime One Twelve (steak house). The rooms are devided on 2 seperate wings. There is a salon and spa in the hotel and both are highly ranked by reviewers.
The suite we stayed in was well decorated. I appreciated the tufted headboard in the room.
Valet service & front desk had awesome service.
The pool was nice and chill with Cabanas. Next door to the Hilton is Nikki Beach, a hot spot in Miami.

• Stayed March 2013
southern pines, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed for four nights in February, to celebrate our anniversary. We had a great time, enjoying the location, the beach, the bars and restaurants along Ocean Avenue. The stay was marred only by a bizarre and terrible series of encounters at breakfast. We understood that the buffet is included for hhonors members, and we are diamond. First day, no problems. Second day, a curt older female attendant handed us a bill, informing us condescendingly that we had omelettes, and those are five dollars extra. OK. Nobody told us, so we know next time. Third day, no omelettes, no big deal. Same attendant, curt as ever, said we still had "hot" food, and we owed again. This turned slightly confrontational when we explained how we were told previously it was specifically omelettes. Alas, there was no winning - they needed the five dollars each fairly badly it seemed, and we paid. Fourth day, we skipped breakfast altogether and ate, happily, at a place down the street.

Rooms at this place in February range between 450 and a few thousand bucks a night. Given Hilton breakfast pricing around the world for hhonors members is... free - and better (in Europe, the typical breakfast includes champagne), why are you sending out goons to collect your five bucks each? Drinks on ladies night - similar situation. It only includes a couple of options, though this was never explained beforehand. Walking happily to the beach, we were greeted asked for towels and were told "A lot of people think that the beach is free." We asked, "For towels? You charge?" and they said no, we can have those for free. Cool man. Thanks. I'd suggest that the management of the hotel travel a bit to some other Hiltons around the world to compare. Customer service here was not what it should be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Estero, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Of the over 75 TripAdvisor reviews I've written on various class hotels around the world, I've only given 12-13 an "average" rating of less. I wish I could say this hotel deserved better, but their service would prevent me from ever calling this an excellent stay.

The hotel is in South Beach's "Sofi" district ("south of fifth") which can be a pro or con depending on what you are looking for. I personally find that area to be a little out of the way (I like to be about 15 blocks up to be closer to Lincoln Road and the heart of South Beach), but there are several great places to visit near the hotel (Nikki Beach, Joe's Stone Crab, etc).

The hotel is nice - lots of marble throughout, very clean, no complaints there. We booked the King Standard room and it was very small, even by Miami standards. When I first went to book the hotel, they were asking almost $1000/night for the King Standard (I later saw that rate drop to about $450 as the weekend approached) however I had enough Hilton HHonors points to book it at no charge. Because it was a free stay, my expectations weren't that high. But, if I had paid $450-$1000 for this room, I would have expected much more. For that price, I highly recommend you go down the beach to the Fontainbleau (one of my favorite hotels - see previous reviews).

So, on to the terrible service...
1) The valet is completely incompetent. We stood around valet for 5 minutes trying to figure out if we were even in the right place because there was no one there. When he did arrive, he managed to lose our keys in about 2 minutes (he found them again shortly after), did not speak English and was overall frazzled (not sure why because we were the only ones there). Furthermore, instead of opening the lobby door for me, he actually ran inside ahead of me then let the door slam in my face. I never complain about hotel valet fees, but $35 is on the high side ESPECIALLY when I was completely annoyed by the experience.

2) I had a rather heated discussion with the manager on duty the night of our stay and was appalled at the lack of customer service. My husband & I always like to rent a movie on demand in our hotel room to help us fall asleep. I don't think this is asking much considering even budget hotels offer this service. I was really surprised to find out a 4-diamond hotel doesn't offer something as simple as movies on demand! Their solution was some free movies, HBO, etc., but that didn't cater to my needs. I won't babble about specifics (because movies on demand wasn't the point) - the point was the manager's attitude when an upset customer came to him and how he mishandled the situation. I asked for the General Manager to call me regarding this (he was supposed to return to work today and, so far, no call).

I am a Starwood Platinum member, a Ritz Elite member, and a Hyatt Platinum member. I'm glad I used the last of my Hilton HHonors points to book this room because this stay solidified that I'm not staying at Hilton properties anymore. They need to learn a thing or two from Starwood, Ritz, and Hyatt about customer service first.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach? Share your experiences!