“Great place for a night or weekend in Miami” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Victor
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1144 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #74 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Great place for a night or weekend in Miami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I stayed here in July 2014 for 1 night. We really liked the hotel, and loved having a room that opened on to the pool. Great location to lounge by the pool or to explore Miami Beach from. It's not a far walk to the beach and to the shopping areas, or if it's too hot, it's only a short cab ride.
The room was clean, and the hotel was modern. The bathroom was spacious with a large bath tub. Best for young couples/friends. Not really a family hotel. There was a really drunk guy in the pool area that the staff did not deal with very effectively.

Room Tip: Off the pool is really nice
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Last year we stayed in Hallandale Beach, 21 miles north of Miami Beach, and found it a bit too far from all the Miami Beach action. So we decided to stay in the heart of it this time and booked Hotel Victor for 4 nights. We knew that staying in the South Beach area of Miami has a high price tag. We didn't know that it was not really worth it overall. Expect rip-offs at the restaurants, beach and parking: an advertised $5.75 breakfast quickly turns into a $35 breakfast when a $12 orange juice, $5 coffee and 20% service charge are added to the bill unbeknownst to you (you are expected to leave a tip on top of the total bill after that). $40 valet parking. 1 milkshake + 1 martini at the Sugar Factory restaurant adjacent to Hotel Victor was $36. Again, this is not a fault of Hotel Victor but an environment in which it operates, so be prepared. We booked through Expedia and pre-paid $250/night. $18 per night charge was added to our bill at checkout.

PRO's
Good location in the Art Deco District of South Beach (If you like Art Deco, of course. Lots of old and unkempt white buildings with dilapidated stucco, not too pleasant for my taste, actually).
20 min walk to Lincoln Road, a local shopping and happening promenade.
Very quick and efficient check-in, polite front desk staff.
Room was reasonably clean and comfortable.
Beach is across the street (Ocean Drive) and Park, about 10 min walk.
Beautiful ocean water.
Beach/pool towels are free and available.
Complementary two bottles of drinking water per day.
Room and bed were made up fast before 1 pm each day.
Free Wi-Fi.

CON's
Not sure about the renovations described by some reviewers. Our room was clearly older with dust on the light fixtures, moldy stains on tile grout and rust in the tub. Shower valve was coming off during use.
There were four small pillows on the king-size bed. Really small. They can fall through the gap between the bed and the wall. We didn't ask for more pillows; in hindsight, we should have, I suppose.
No climate control in the room. AC is central and quite noisy. Room gets warm and cold periodically.
Our room had no balcony.
Pool is very small and a bit weird. It's on the 2nd floor and kind of surrounded by patios of the rooms located on the 2nd floor, so it's not clear where their private areas end and public areas begin. There are a few large, king-size pool-side beds, which are comfortable. But if you're not there early, you're out of luck, people leave their stuff on the beds and keep them until the end of the day. Less than 10 loungers where available around the pool. Shade is hardly available either - only a few umbrellas.
When you go to the beach, take the complementary towels and bottle of water, which is very nice. However; at the beach, expect to pay $55 per day for an umbrella and two chairs. You will need an umbrella, guaranteed, it's really hot.
Hotel provides a complementary "continental breakfast" in the lobby. It's just bad coffee and small wet muffins (we tried them once and did not want to do it again). A good intent badly implemented: Add some fruit variety, a toaster and jams and it could become a very nice feature valued by guests.
Sugar Factory - a restaurant attached to the Hotel was bad, slow and expensive. This has been covered by many reviewers. The Hotel could perhaps demand a better service from them as a landlord.
Check-out is early, at 11 am. We've asked to stay until noon but the request was refused.

Overall, it was not a bad stay but not a good one either due to all of the nuisances described above. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Illnau, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Hotel Victor is a great place! Fabulously located right where it happens :) Free bicycles included and the room is clean and, not at all expected in this neighbourhood, very silent - and a rate of usd 250/night just perfect. Higly recommended!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for your comments, PhilWes. We loved having you visiting with us. The Team and I hope to have you here with us again very soon.

Lyon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

This hotel is well placed with a lot of people coming on Ocean Drive to enjoy bars and drinks together with loud music. Don't expect to be quiet !
There is little service in this hotel: we requested a third bed in our room but it was not set up when we checked in. After several request, it was delivered but without any blanket or sheet. Finally after four different calls, we could get a blanket (but no sheet).
The following day, when we came back at 4:00pm, our room was not made and we had to call again three times to get it clean...
At the restaurant, we had to wait a long time to get our drink and our food which was delivered witjout forks and knives... After several requests, I had to get some by myself as our food was becoming cold... And to pay, we had to request the bill four times as our waiter prefered to talk to young ladies...
At the reception, you have to pay in advance your room, that means that you pay one night when you book your stay, a second time when you check in and a third time when checking out for other purchases: you have several invoices that are difficult to understand and , of course, different commissions on your credit card.
Furthermore, you pay a service fee of US$22 per day (which is seldom written) which includes "full american breakfast". But for this breakfast, you have to choose coffee OR juice , etc...

Anyway, at least, people are friendly and are smiling eventhough they are not efficient.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
I am very sad to learn this was your experience during your visit with us. I hardly recognize the hotel your are describing. Please accept my apology for these oversights. I will also bring this to the attention of the restaurant company. We loved having you here with us. Please contact me directly for your next visit so I can organize a wonderful time for you.

Coconut Grove, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My home a.c. walked away from our relationship, only to leave me under Miami's unforgiving sunrays. I was forced to seek shelter in a cooler environment. My choice: The Victor Hotel. It was the less expensive on the Ocean Drive strip. The room, view and service was fantastic. I live in Miami and often stay at hotels on SoBe for mini staycations. The Victor Hotel is official on my rotation.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
I am sad to learn of your air conditioning plight, but very happy you visited with us. The Team and I hope to have you here with us again very soon.

generatorx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a awesome room right on the same level as the pool. Some perk were the fact that you have a privacy shade so you can look out but people can't look in. The outdoor shower is not private which I was confused about. I thought I was gonna get to shower outside in the sun but everyone would see me. haha! Anywhere on South beach is gonna be awesome but this place was great compared to the other places for the same price. It was clean, modern, and had a free breakfast and free bike rentals which you need to take advantage of. I would def stay here again!

Room Tip: every room has a view I think.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your comments, GeneratorX. We loved having you here visiting with us. The Team and I hope to have you here with us again very soon.

Sutton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed here beginning of April for three nights I'll keep it short and sweet as I think the rest of the reviews speak for this lovely hotel.

I must say though it was probably one of the nicest hotels we have visited to date. It is quite pricey when compared to other hotels nearby and in the south beach area but definitely worth every penny.

My only small note would be the pool area is quite small for the hotel size so if you want a place there you do have to get in quick. Having said that there's an amazing beach across the road!

Great hotel!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
It's wonderful to learn you thoroughly enjoyed your visit with us. We loved having you here. The Team and I hope to have you here visiting with us again very soon.

Chauncey

Been to Hotel Victor? Share your experiences!