“Great location -but be prepared if you are GF, DF” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Victor
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1144 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #72 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great location -but be prepared if you are GF, DF”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Sweetest and most helpful front desk Ialia- helped us with everything- finding shops, places to eat, and private boat tours.
Called Food and Beverage in advance about our Gluten free and dairy free needs and although they were very sweet- they had not bought GF bread or dairy free milk. LUCKILY I brought my own- which they did toast for us. We stayed for 3 nights at $1000 a night-- I would expect them to buy a bag of GF bread at the least. What cafe in Miami doesn't have non-dairy milk ? Would never return.
And my daughter and I are bloggers and they knew it... missed opportunity :(

Room Tip: Ask for high floors not facing the street
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

its not a big hotel and better for it. The housekeeping is as good as any five star with two lots of towels a day, turn down and clean sheets every day. The bathroom products are quality and whilst a basic room is not huge it's got everything you should need. Other people have said about extras on their bill that they did not use! We had none and we used the towels, pool, cabanas and gym. Breakfast is basic but it is included. Gratuities are standard 20% on everything a bit much when buying an ice cream so be prepared. Overall the staff were friendly and bell staff helpful. We did our homework and used a public car park on 13th street for $20 a day instead of the valet parking which I think is closer to $40 a day. The location is right in the heart of everything South Beach offers and I will be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Jupiter, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

It is interesting to hear that others have had issues with reservations. I booked two nights at Hotel Victor, then called back to change my reservation to a later date. I am now being told there is no record of my revised reservation, and I will not be refunded my one night deposit (I am being charged as a "no show"). Frustrating to say the least...

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I booked two nights here through a travel agency, and despite receiving an email confirmation to that effect, and making a call to the hotel directly prior to departure to check it, upon arrival after a 12 hour journey, there was 'no record of my reservation, and, great, 'no rooms available.' After many phone calls and stress, I was put in a cab and bundled off to another hotel, 12 blocks away, miles from where I wanted to be.

In a way I had a lucky escape. This hotel is not the Art Deco gem it purports to be. It's trashy, brash, tired and noisy. And the reception desk was surrounded by other guests complaining about their tiny rooms, or inability to open their windows, all demanding refunds.

Best avoided.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for your comments. First I want to apologize a reservation mix-up led to your being relocated to another hotel due to our being booked up. Had to stayed with us you may have left with a more pleasant impression as your vision of the hotel is not typical. Your observations are very valuable so that we can be always better. Please contact me directly on your next visit so I can see to your visit personally.

chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Unlike some of the recent reviews we had a favorable experience. We booked through the Art Basel website without looking at this site.

To begin we loved the vibe and multicultural Ocean Drive, South Beach location. The hotel is located just next to the former Gianni Versace mansion.

We found our room to be attractive, modern and obviously recently remodeled. We had an interior room with a view of the pool. Considering the partying on Ocean Dri, including the crowds at the hotel bar we never heard any outside noise and slept very well on the very comfortable mattress. From the outside the building is one of the old Art Deco South Beach properties. The lobby and public areas are generally very attractive as well. We did not encounter any fault with the housekeeping. The service overall was friendly and helpful, especially the bell staff.

The outdoor restaurant/bar seating is attractive and comfortable. Breakfasts outside was particularly pleasant.

Our cons are relatively minor. I could not find an electric outlet close to my bed table for my phone. The hotel ,like every renovated hotel room we have visited in the last few years, has bathroom doors which pass light from the bathroom which is annoying at night to the person not in the bathroom. Breakfasts, are adequate and include bacon, potatoes and scrambled eggs and some indifferent fruit cocktail. The breads and pastry are less than ordinary and should be improved. Coffee is overly weak and the charge for a double espresso, at over $10, is pretty outrageous. (Best to walk over to Collins Ave, the next street in from the beach for espresso drinks.) The large interior first floor bar should be remodeled but this is not a big deal as the outdoor seating and the bar on the pool floor is pleasant for drinks.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quiet. I assume that the ocean side rooms would be noisier.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your comments! We loved having you here visiting with us! The Team and I look forward to having you back here with us again soon!

Oslo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Upon entering our room we were greeted by the world’s largest cockroach and several long black hairs in the shower, and cigarette butts around the patio door. As well as a smell of spoiled milk, that would grow worse by the day. And a huge wad of chewing gum ground into the carpet. Every day the elevators would break at least once, and the staff would suggest we take the fire stairs, which made little sense since the doors from the stairwell wouldn’t open to the floors. Fortunately our room was on the second floor, and we could take other stairs. Or fortunately? We had paid a lot extra for a so-called Bungalow room, not realizing that that only means direct patio/pool access. The one day the weather wasn’t freezing strangers occupied our "private" terrace.
A very poor selection of breakfast stuff was "included" or forced on us at a surcharge. If you can, skip this and go to the Front Porch cafe. Much better, and probably cheaper.

Last time we visited South Beach the area was fun, vibrant and welcoming. Today the sidewalks are taken over by cafes and restaurants, and very aggressive Eastern European hostesses vying for our business. We quickly found this tedious and reminiscent of the seedier streets of Bangkok.

Room Tip: Don't fall in the Bungalow room trap.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I am disappointed you did not entirely enjoy your visit with us and that you were inconvenienced. This is not typical of our guest's experiences. Your observations are very valuable to us to focus our efforts on always improving our guest's experiences. Please contact me directly when visiting the area next so I can organize a fun visit for you.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here for one night during art Basel.

We got a discounted rate on this hotel of $340 including fees and taxes for a room on the 7th floor with views of the ocean from the bedroom and bathroom. Getting a good deal helps one less annoyed by little things that come up. I would not choose to stay here at the $500 and up rates that some other reviewers haven mentioned.

The hotel charges a 22$ resort fee for wifi and breakfast. They do not have any beach chairs even though it is across from the beach.

Our room was small but nicely furnished, clean enough. I liked the interior design of this hotel. The mattress was very soft I thought it was comfortable for one night. There was a water problem, the water stopped in the shower a few times and also stopped, sputtered, and sprayed out of the faucet. This room (709) was very quiet which was critical since this area of south beach has a lot of people partying and loud music.

During art Basel 2014 The location was directly across from the untitled art fair and very close to the scope fair, it is a central location in south beach, you could walk most places that you would want to go.

The hotel offers cute beach bikes to take however they do not supply a lock and therefore I do not think anyone uses them, they were stacked up in the lobby the whole time we were there. I thought that was pretty stupid, who wants be responsible for leaving a $500 bike unlocked around south beach??

The valet service (which is operated by a separate company from the hotel) charged us 39$ for 24 hrs parking, they have a text service which did not work for us and resulted in having to wait an unexpected extra half hour for our car..... This meant sitting out in front of the hotel where it is very loud and rowdy. the crowd along ocean drive is a mixed bag but to me the overall feel is that there are too many riff raff, and that an expensive hotel doesn't really fit here.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. Your comments are very valuable to us to focus our efforts on making an ever more wonderful stay for our guests. We do go o great lengths to explain our service charge. I am disappointed you did not entirely enjoy your visit with us. The Team and I loved having you here with us. Please contact me directly on your next visit so I can organize a wonderful time for you.

Chauncey

Been to Hotel Victor? Share your experiences!