“Great stay at the Standard” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Intox + Detox
Ranked #45 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, NY
“Great stay at the Standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

My boyfriend and I had a terrific stay at the Standard last week. I never write reviews, but our trip was so great that I felt compelled to do so. I thought that the location was great. We were able to relax during the day and enjoy the excitement of south beach at night. We received a room upgrade during check-in without even asking. We ended up with a large wet room which was nice and clean and well air conditioned. We really enjoyed the pools--main infinity pool, hot tub, and cold tub. It was never a problem finding lounge chairs around the pool and the attendants were very attentive. We had lunch at the restaurant by the pool one day. Lunch was good, the view was beautiful, and we were very excited to see dolphins while we were dining. I also have to rave about the hamam. It was incredibly relaxing to lay out on the hot marble benches and then cool off with a cold shower. I think it's great that so many of the spa amenities at this hotel are either included or very reasonably priced (mud bath is $10--we were about to try this but it started to rain). It did take 20 min to get our car, but we just called the valet for the car while we were getting ready and by the time we got to the lobby the car was there. The restaurants at the hotel were a bit pricey, so we walked to starbucks (10 min walk) each morning which worked out great. I highly recommend this hotel for a fun, relaxing getaway.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

I'm very familiar with The Standard in Downtown LA...I LOVE it! I've had many fun nights there. So when I was planning a trip to Miami and found a great deal at The Standard Miami Beach I jumped on it.

However, after reading bad reviews on here before we left for our trip and my husband and I were thisclose to canceling our reservation and booking somewhere else.

I'm glad we didn't. We really enjoyed our stay at The Standard.

First of all, if you are familiar with the LA locations of The Standard...this hotel isn't like them. The LA Standards are party hotels, the Miami Standard is a spa hotel...very relaxing.

The spa is supposed to be great and there are a lot of self-serve options included with your hotel stay. I never took advantage of these, though, because my hubs and I ended up spending our one full day at the pool instead. Oh well...that was relaxing, too.

The pool area is awesome. It's an infinity pool with amazing views of the bay and the city. You can sit on a chair right on the dock with the bay behind you and then hop in the pool. There is a hot tub and also an arctic plunge tub that they keep at 50 degrees. My hubs tried to hop in the plunge after a dip in the hot tub at night, but he couldn't do it. It was a lot easier during the day when people were just lounging in the 50 degree water.

The rooms are nice. Comfy beds. Flat screen TVs. Well-stocked mini-bar. No blackout curtains, but that was fine by me. I like being woken up by the sun.

Some minor annoyances:
No real shelf space in the bathroom. I'm a chick...I have a lot of "bathroom stuff" and there was really nowhere to put it.

There were some things we weren't clear on and there were some staff members who weren't very forthcoming with information. For example, as part of our deal we had free continental breakfast each morning. But when we tried to figure out where to go to get it and what we could get with it, we were a bit lost. We tried to ask this server in the restaurant and he was less than helpful. He was really the ONLY person who had this attitude...the girl who checked us in was super friendly and helpful, the valet staff was always on top of things and everyone else besides this guy was great.

Once we finally figured out what we could order with our free breakfast we were floored. Our "breakfast" was 3 pieces of toast, coffee and OJ. That's fine because we weren't paying, but they were charging $14 for it on the menu! The prices there were a little steep for me.

When we were there, there was a lot of construction going on in front of the hotel. Luckily we were driving a rental car (and had free valet with our deal...thank goodness at $22/day), otherwise I would have been annoyed with the dirt all over my car every day and the rocks and bumps we had to drive through. I'm sure the construction won't last forever and I'm sure it will be great when it's all done.

Overall, the views and the room more than made up for the minor things. We really enjoyed our stay at The Standard and would visit again, if we ever ended up back in Miami.

• Liked — Pool / view
  • Disliked — $14 toast
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
lvlygrrl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

My best friend gave me a two night stay at The Standard for my birthday. She got a great deal on TravelZoo. We stayed July 19-21. When we got there, we asked if we could have the room with the bathtub out front and they upgraded us free! We only had a view of the building next to us, but we were hardly in the room anyway. The room was really nice. Futon couch, queen bed (so soft! I slept like a baby!), flat screen tv (small, but it was fine), CD and DVD player. (Hint: they have a list of movies that you an borrow in the welcome packet. We didn't see that until the next day, but again, we were hardly in our room. Now, I could see if you were with a significant other, that might be a good idea for a night in.) A walk-in closet with a mini-bar. (Of course, the prices are outrageous, so we took out all the stuff in the mini-frig and put our own stuff, some drinks, snacks, etc.) The bathroom was fine, a bit of paint peeling on the door, but it is an old hotel and I'm sure it'll get fixed in order of priority. They are doing a lot of construction in front of the hotel, and that is kind of a hassle, especially as we left, there was a bit of a traffic jam and I had to drive my friend's nice, new Ford Mustang thru a gravely part and it scraped the bottom of the door a little.

The amenities at the hotel are great. We took full advantage of everything! The Hammam, the sauna, the cold rain showers,the steam room. (All of that is free!) The pool is an infinity pool, where you just walk in and it looks like it just drops off at the end. The hot tub was so relaxing; there is a hot and powerful waterfall that massages your neck and shoulders. And then there is the Arctic Plunge. I definitely had to get up my courage to jump in there. 50 degrees! But do it, just for the experience. My friend got a massage ($120 for 60 minutes) and I had an attendant come and draw me a bath. That was a really cool experience. I picked out my bath salts (soothing, coconut and mandarin), paid $25, and sat in my bathrobe waiting for the attendant. When she came, she was so lovely and sweet. She ran the water, making sure it was warm enough, then poured in the salts. Once she left, I disrobed and stepped into the bath. There I was, naked, having a bath outside. It was amazing. (Our patio where the tub is, was behind curtains, so no one could see, unless they really tried.) I would definitely recommend doing that. We also had mud baths. That was really cool, sitting outside covered in mud, letting it harden all over your body and then stepping into a tub to rinse off. My skin never felt so soft after I pampered it so much!

The staff was friendly. There are definitely beautiful people who frequent this hotel. I'm no model, but I never felt uncomfortable walking around in my bathing suit. (Maybe because I don't really care.)

South Beach is great - Lincoln Road reminds me of Europe. Everyone eating outside, walking, it's wonderful.

Some downsides: the dining is limited and expensive. We ate one night by the bay and we got 3 appetizers to share, water to drink, and our bill was a bit ridiculous. There are NO restaurants within "walking distance." They have soft water, so it is terribly difficult to get all the soap off. I hate soft water. All the construction is a hassle. You have to valet park and that is $22 a day. And then when you want your car, it takes them about 15-20 minutes to go get it since they park it off property. If you didn't know the hotel used to be called The Lido Spa Hotel, then it is easy to pass because you can't really see The Standard sign on the building. Oh...and this is just being picky....I hate the way they put The Standard upside-down on everything. Okay, we get it, you are trying to be eclectic. I think it just comes across as silly and pretentious.

But besides those few things, The Standard is definitely a place I will go back to.

• Liked — The tub outside my hotel room!
  • Disliked — Construction, everything is overpriced.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

We read some mixed reviews on the The Standard Miami, but we were pleasantly surprised by this peaceful oasis just a short distance from the Art Deco district and the popular South Beach.

We were looking for a relaxing spot for a long weekend in March. The clean, simple accommodations were perfect for us. We had a “wet room” with our very own little bath tub on the porch where we soaked at night after dinner in the Art Deco district.

The infinity pool was amazing and is kept at the absolute right temperature. Our favourite thing to do while at this hotel was recline by the pool and enjoy the view of the bay. This hotel is slightly off the beaten path, and helps you avoid what you would typically expect from hotels on Ocean Drive. It is a quiet spa hotel, and those who run it do a perfect job of making you feel right at home. If you’re looking for a fussy, fancy, ritzy hotel where you can ‘see’ and ‘be seen’ then this is not the hotel for you.

Things we loved in particular – the bath tub, CD and DVD player in the room, views of the bay, lots of hidden spots on the grounds, and the fire pit.

We thought this hotel was a great value, and we can’t wait to return!

• Liked — The grounds and scenery!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jupiter, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

Bio: Booked a short weekend stay for myself, husband and our two Yorkshire Terriers in a Large Wet Room

Results:

Small room, very uncomfotable bed, only two plug-in sockets in the whole room (1 in the bathroom and one in the bed area)
The TV would give you a neck spasm because it is to the right of the bed and you would have to turn sideways to watch it, the DVD player did not work, the bathroom door handle was falling off, there was mold on the side of the airconditioning vent, the floors were dirty as they were only swept not mopped. There is no counter space in the bathroom, the water pressure was horrible. The ffurniture in the room was cheap Ikea furniture and was not functional as there was only 1 chair for the table. The ironing board was a joke..you had to lay it on the bed to use it, the mini bar was packed with lots of goodies, but nothing was cold. The baths in the Spa room are not free..you have to pay 30$ everytime use use them. I saw the mud bath tubs..but there was never anyone there to bring you mud. I had it at this point and it was still the first day...So then we decide to go to dinner and that is when the worst part happened

Supposed to be pet friendly, yet provided no bags around the walking area to properly dispose of your pets waste and because my dogs were barking and guest complained they went into our room and removed them without trying to call us on our cellphones to let us know, I understand the complaints, but imagine my horror when I got back from dinner and my dogs were not in the room. We went to the front desk to be told by a " Shuttle Driver" that we need to calm down or he was going to call the cops on us..Is he crazy!! We were only gone for a total of 2 hours and no one from the hotel tried to reach us, they only left a message on the room answering service telling us what they did with my dogs. Words can not describe how furious and worried I was. Luckily George the night manager had some really good training in calming a guest down, because he was very nice and explained everything and calmed us down. He brought my dogs to the room and sent a bottle of wine and comped us our first night. the reason my dogs were barking so much is beacuse we had room # 18 that was the 2nd suite up from the back of the kitchen resturant..so everytime they heard the room service carts go up and down the concrete path..they would bark..There is 24 our room service here..so imagine how many times carts went past our room.. So we decided that night to leave and go home in the morning, we called the very nice manager George and let him know that we were leaving and we did not feel comfortable at The Standard. He said fine we could even check out at 3:00pm if we wanted..well the whole night horrible..everytime the carts went by the dogs would try to bark and I say try because we spent most of the night trying to keep them quiet..Finally morning...we ordered breakfast for 2 people..2 orders of pancakes, 1 order of scrambled egg whites with bacon 1 coffee 1 hot chocolate and 2 orange juices...65.00..the bacon was burnt, they cheated with the "fresh" blueberry pancakes and added blueberry pie filling, the eggs were very weird and rubbery and the hot chocolate was Swiss Miss add water and stir..Horrible!! The Oj was hot...and then when i called to bring some ice for the OJ..they told me 20 minutes..There is no ice machine on the grounds whatsoever..

Overall it totally sucked..what was supposed to be some relaxation turned into the exact opposite..we live in Jupiter, FL and could have saved the trip and the Headaches by going to The Breakers in Palm Beach..Never again will I ever go back to the standard!! The only shining light there is George the Night Manager..he was the biggest sweetheart!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I really don't understand all the bad reviews about this hotel. I stayed several times in Miami, at some very nice hotels, and I can say this one is great. The pool is unbelievable; the scenery is magnificent, because it is situated directly on the Biscayne Bay. The rooms are very beautiful, clean and everything, a bit small though. The spa is great, the restaurant by the pool is great, I really loved everything about this hotel. And the staff was very nice. The only concern for some people who gave bad reviews might be that this hotel is like a "beautiful people" hotel, customers are between 25 and 35 years old, there are some models, etc. It's not a family hotel at all, I didn't see one child, so maybe this is what gave a bad impression to some people.

• Liked — The pool
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

My girlfriend decided she wanted to go to South Beach for her birthday months ago. She had a Glamour travel guide that listed the best things in South Beach, and The Standard was listed as the Best Spa. Some other girls were meeting us the day after we got there, and we were all staying in a different hotel. But, she was fascinated by the "Do It Yourself" spa, so we decided to spend our first night at The Standard so the DIY spa would be included. Well, we were surprised by the delapidated-looking building as we drove up (the parking lot is being repaved). But, the lobby made us change our tune. Very different, but well-appointed. The staff was nice, but our bellhop didn't know where our room was. It was funny, though. We got a free upgrade from a "large dry" room to a "large wet" room. The only difference is that there was a bathtub on our patio, which we only used to take pictures of ourselves fully-clothed in an outdoor bathtub. For a large room, the room was very small. I would hate to see what the small and medium rooms look like! Very smart and chic decor.

The DIY spa was pretty disappointing. The online blueprint looks deceptively huge, but it wasn't. It's actually split up between the 3rd floor inside the hotel, and the pool area (ie, the plunge pool, hot tub & mud baths are all outside by the pool). However, I really enjoyed the Hammam. I haven't been so relaxed in ages! Some women were getting spa treatments in the Hammam room, and it looked AMAZING! I was too cheap to get one, but I regret that now.

The pool is beautiful, but the wait staff leaves much to be desired. A waitress came around at 11:20 to hand out menus, but said we couldn't order anything until the grill opened at noon. I told her I was hungry, and to please come back at noon so I could order something. At 12:10, no waitress. Actually, nobody at all. So, I went over to the grill, and there were about 6 staff members just standing around. Anyway, the mahi mahi sandwich was De-Licious! I keep talking about it and driving my friends crazy. A little steep at $18, but it was definitely the best food I had the entire time I was in SoBe.

This hotel is a decent value. Our hotel for the other 2 nights on SoBe was $329 per night (compared to $195 at Standard). Although The Standard was nice, and the grounds were really pretty, I'm not sure I'd stay there again. Well, maybe if it was the only way I could get another one of those mahi-mahi sandwiches...

• Liked — The Mahi Mahi sandwich by the pool
  • Disliked — Feeling misled about the spa
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Standard Miami? Share your experiences!